What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BUTTERFLY BOMB - SD2 and M83 ' COLLECTION '

Mmmmmmm wouldn't it be nice if one of those popped out of the woodwork?
Dave.

It would certainly be very nice to see an original example of the kettenbombe - this was purely experimental - but you never know there may be an example out there somewhere!!

Here is another piece from my collection, I have shown this one before, however it has been repainted in a better colour match since then.

This is the AB23 container, which contained 23 SD2's - these were used from 1942 onwards and were developed, along with several other styles of container, following some rather nasty experiences with the rack systems. Previous to the development of containers the SD2's were released directly from the aircraft, however this was discontinued after 1941 for two reasons;
First of all the optimum release height when dropped directly from the aircraft was just 25 meters, at which height the attacking aircraft was subject to retaliation from every form of small arms fire available. Below 10 meters and the fuze wouldnt function and above 50 meters and the SD2 was not in any way effective.
The Second reason was that there was a tendency for the SD2's not to release properly from the racks when the aircraft was travelling at high speeds. However when the aircraft then slowed down to land the SD2's would then drop off - so fly-bys were then carried out to ensure no SD2's were 'hung-up' before landing was permitted. The internal racks proved just as unreliable, but in this case the SD2's would drop inside the bomb bays and several aircraft were lost due to bombs exploding within the aircraft!!

The AB23 container was developed to combat these problems. With an airburst fuze, it was possible to drop this at much higher altitudes. For instance in the Grimsby raid, the AB23 container was used, the attacking aircraft were appoximately 1,000 meters (3,000ft), this was much safer for the attacking aircraft. Any misfunction of the container thereafter, also didnt affect the aircraft.
The SD2's were held in place with an arrangement of steel discs and rods, which allowed for safe loading of the container, however such was the respect for these weapons that the loading took place as close to the airfield as possible - loaded containers were not permitted to be transported over a distance of more than 3 kilometers.

regards Kev

bb (7).jpg

(The container shown is empty and totally inert)

Although the container in my collection is in very good presentable condition, it does suffer from some distortions to shape/damage and also the hinge is broken (this often was the result when dropped!!) I would however like to find one in excellent shape - if anyone has or knows of such an example I would love to hear from them!
I am also looking for other types of SD2 containers -maybe they are out there somewhere!!

Thought I would show this variation to the Enamel warning signs. This one is made from cardboard (shown on top of the two variations of enamel signs for size comparison)

I imagine that the cardboard version was intended for use immediate post raid, being both easier to produce, store and distribute. The enamel ones were probably for more 'long term' situations. It must be remembered that certain areas affected by the SD2's were not cleared until after the war, in some cases the only way to clear them from hedgerows was to use flamethrowers and literally burn the hedges. Tanks were also used in some cases to bring in crops - and often the tracks had to be repaired as a result of an exploding SD2!!

I would be interested to know if anyone else has come across this cardboard version before??

regards Kev

bb (8).jpg

Never seen that one Kev, very nice too, here is a picture of 2 small paper ones i have,,,,,,, Dave,

HPIM6653.jpg

Never seen that one Kev, very nice too, here is a picture of 2 small paper ones i have,,,,,,, Dave,

Thanks for showing those two Dave.
Very nice indeed!! (those are both different to the ones I have!!)

regards Kev

here are mine for comparison...

danger April 1943.jpgJuly 1943.jpg

Last edited:
More photos from my collection.......

These show the various posters I have. I would like to know if anyone has any 'other' style of posters relating to the SD2, besides the ones shown?

poster 1.jpgposter 2.jpgposter.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely posters Kev and Dave.
Considering where the SD2's were used (UK, Holland, North Africa, Italy, Latvia, Russian to name a few) and for the M83's (Korea, Vietnam that I know of) has anyone come across any butterfly bomb warning signs written in anything other than English? It seems odd that over here we managed to produce well made enamel signs that were designed to last for years but nobody else did.
Dave.

Hello to all SD-2 collecting tank! These photos for you have! Still all a good new 2012 Harry:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Attachments

• Kettenbombe   TC 10 a..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 a..JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 b..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 b..JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 c..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 c..JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 d..jpg
    Kettenbombe TC 10 d..jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 e..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 e..JPG
    89 KB · Views: 92
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 f..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 f..JPG
    60 KB · Views: 86
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 g..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 g..JPG
    71 KB · Views: 90
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 h..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 h..JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Kettenbombe   TC 10 i..JPG
    Kettenbombe TC 10 i..JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Harry, great information.
What is the thing in the middle in photo 4?
Dave.

Hello Dave! Do you mean the primer kz. Zdlg.C-98??

Attachments

• Kettenbombe   TC 10 d..jpg
    Kettenbombe TC 10 d..jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 40
  • kz._zdlg_c98.jpg
    kz._zdlg_c98.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 49
Below are pictures of the various cut-down wing version of the SD2 that I have in my collection.

The wings on these were created by cutting down the full set wings, some were merely experimental while others were authorised for production.

To the left is what I term the 'large-cut' version. As is apparant from the photograph the brake wings have been removed and the end vanes trimmed slightly to form an almost rectangular cut. I have seen several examples of these however I have yet to establish if this was a recognised pattern or simply a variation on the ones shown in the second picture. I have not seen any official documentation on these.

The second photograph shows the 'standard cut' version. This was adopted and was dropped from the larger containers AB250-2 (for 144 units)and AB250-3 (for 108 units). It was officially known as the SD2zt and in this format was used against assembled troops, the smaller wings allowing the SD2's to drop much faster and in doing so form a more concentrated area of detonation. The zt, I believe refers to zeit (time) which is one of the settings on the type 41A fuze with which this wing pattern was issued, this suggests that the units were set for airburst rather than impact detonation, the possible reason for this is that with a higher terminal velocity the penetration into the ground would increase and as such the fragmentation effect become much less. When used over soft ground, snow or sand this fragmentation effect would be reduced even further. However if the fuzes were set for airburst only, then the dropping height would be critical to get the desired effect on the ground, as an SD2 exploding too high would have little effect.

The third and fourth photographs show two variations of the 'experimental wings' These wings were cut down even further to increase the terminal velocity even more. The intended use for these was against allied bomber formations as an air to air weapon, thus the need for an increased drop speed as less time in the air would mean more accuracy, hence even greater cuts and smaller vanes, however the small vanes were not efficient at arming the fuzes and eventually the experiments were abandoned. The third photograph shows a much larger cut than that in the fourth, however what is interesting in both these examples is that they match the wing cut of that of the SD2zt, which leads me to believe that these experimental wings were actually cut-downs of cut-downs - if that makes sense!! (ie a cut down of the SD2zt pattern as shown in picture 2) The angles of cut on the bottom edge vary, however the side cuts remain unchanged in the examples I have seen.

If anyone has any further information, or indeed other examples on any of these wing types I would love to learn hear from them.

kind regards Kev

bb (10).jpg

All items shown are INERT and F.F.E.

Last edited:
Very interesting Kev thank you.

Then of course there are the really small ones that we now know of from at least 2 different specimens :neutral:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...ly-bomb-wings.?highlight=small+butterfly+bomb

Dave.

Thanks for attatching the link to these really small ones. As you have said, I can confirm that there are at least two examples of this type of wing in existance from which it is possible to assume that these were not a one off and possibly some form of experiment along the lines of the small cut wings. In this version the actual wing frame has been shortened and a small disc type vane fixed at an angle to act as an arming vane.

These are a complete mystery to me and if anyone has any further information or knows of any others in existance, again, would love to hear from you.

......I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Dave for 'donating' this one to me. Since receiving it I have painted it up in colours representative of the other cut-down wings, I have no idea of the original colour as the both this and the other example I saw a photograph of are in 'relic' condition.
(see previous link, posted by Dave)

Here is how the wings look now....

The first picture clearly shows the pitch of the wing vanes. The second picture shows the size comparison to the small cut 'experimental wings', from this picture it is easy to see the similarities in size of wing area and it is why I think these were part of the same trials. re-search into these continues!!

regards Kev

bb (11).jpg

The third photograph shows a much larger cut than that in the fourth, however what is interesting in both these examples is that they match the wing cut of that of the SD2zt, which leads me to believe that these experimental wings were actually cut-downs of cut-downs - if that makes sense!! (ie a cut down of the SD2zt pattern as shown in picture 2) The angles of cut on the bottom edge vary, however the side cuts remain unchanged in the examples I have seen.

Kev a few photos of a recent addition.
The first photo shows the tiny sycamore wing type on top of the SD2zt type, I can see what you mean, the angle is identical.
006.jpg
Both wing types also have the sides of the wing cradle that would hold the brake wings cut off in the same way, roughly, perhaps with tin snips?
007.jpg
An interesting thing about the red on the wings, on the 2 sets of wings the red is going in different directions and is obviously hand painted, would it be hand painted on the service SD2's with full wing sets?
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg
Dave.

Very nice Dave!!

The comparison photograph you posted clearly shows what I mean about the 'experimental' versions being cut downs of the SD2zt's
As regards the red stripes on the wings they certainly appear to have been put on very crudely, the two you show are both different, one closer to the edge of the wing, the other much more central. Interestingly, this format of stripe appears in the early documentation of this type of wing, when it was first discovered in use in North Africa in 1943. I have not seen the full set wings painted yellow with a stripe in this direction, maybe these were overpainted?
.....Other examples of the SD2zt show the stripe running across the wing vane rather than up and down, though I think this is because these ones are cut down from the full wing sets which originally have the yellow / red-stripe markings.

Another thing of note from your photos is just how bright the yellow and red paint was on these!!

regards Kev

Thought I'd add to this great thread with a photo of a gain pot in section. This one came from Madbomber (God bless him) shortly before he left us in the summer. I've never been able to find any good detail on what the inside of the gain posts of the various SD2's.
Dave.
SD2 gain.jpg

Excellent example of a cutaway pot and gaine you have there Dave.......thanks for showing.

The gaine used in the SD2 was the kl.Zdlg 34. This fitted into the bakerlite container that screwed into the bottom of the fuze and initiated the explosive filling of the SD2.
Here is a picture of a few kl.Zdlg 34 together with the bakerlite storage containers that held them until use. The picture also shows how the gaines fitted into the bakerlite pots.

regards Kev

(all items are totally empty, inert and F.F.E.)

HPIM8274.jpg

Attachments

• HPIM8273.jpg
    HPIM8273.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
OO they're nice Kev you kept quiet about them.
Do those particular pots have the holes in the bottom of them or not?
Dave.

Do those particular pots have the holes in the bottom of them or not?
Dave.

Thanks Dave, no those particular pots dont have any holes in the bottom of them, but I know the ones you mean. I have one example in my collection and still havent been able to work out the significance of them. The three small holes are evenly spaced out and not just random, so they look as though they serve some purpose. However, these bakerlite pots were also used on the SD1 (anyone know if they were used on anything else??), and so may or may not have anything to do with the SD2's ??

Would appreciate any information regarding these holes if anyone can identify what they were for?

Pictures show a bakerlite gaine pot with holes next to one without.

regards Kev

HPIM9175.jpgHPIM9176.jpgHPIM9177.jpg