What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BUTTERFLY BOMB - SD2 and M83 ' COLLECTION '

Thanks Kev what a great explanation, it all makes more sense now!
Is it the same on the 3 versions of the T49?
Dave.

Thanks Kev what a great explanation, it all makes more sense now!
Is it the same on the 3 versions of the T49?
Dave.

The T49's certainly dont follow the same pattern as the three German type 70's, but you have to remember that the T49's were developed seperately and possibly before the introduction of the 70B1 and 70B2.
The T49's appear to resemble the type 70B and I think minor differences were introduced before the introduction of the M131. However so far I have I have not studied them as closely as the 70's so unable to give a conclusive answer, sorry.........I dont have enough documents on these American fuzes - as yet !

Maybe another member on here may have access to better documents than myself??

regards Kev

Nice thread just thought i had better post a picture of my fuses now i have the rare No67,,,, Dave

HPIM6975.jpg

Very nice collection Dave and well done on the 67, but from your picture I note you also have the even scarcer 70A !!!

thanks for posting

regards Kev

I second that Dave, very nice indeed.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Here are a couple of photographs of the M83 fuzes that I have in my collection.
The first shows the various fuzes from the side and above. The second photograph shows what the internals look like on the various fuzes.

I still have quite a few of these to collect, and hope, with a bit of luck, to add to them in the future. However I thought it would be good to share with everyone what I have in the collection to date.

The internal mechanisms resemble very closely those of the German SD2's on which the M83 was based.

All are inert, empty and F.F.E.

regards Kev

M83 fuze collection.jpgM83 fuze internals.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Kev.
You're a brave man to take the tops off, i'd be worried about getting them back together again.
Dave.

Very nice Kev.
You're a brave man to take the tops off, i'd be worried about getting them back together again.
Dave.

As with anything Dave I think it pays to spend a lot of time studying them before you attempt anything. I certainly wouldnt set about anything without knowing them inside out, as it were.

Also as this is a public forum - a word of warning to anyone who sees this thread......the fuzes shown in my photographs are all totally Inert and FFE (Free From Explosives).....you should NEVER mess with things like this unless you are 110% sure the item is safe - lifes too short as it is!!!!!

kind regards Kev

Enamel Warning Sign

Just a couple of enamels signs, these are the only 2 versions of the enamel sign I am aware of. Does anyone have any others to show?

Dave.

View attachment 60912
Dave, I'm sure I saw another enamel sign many, many years ago with much the same writing,
but with: "Fields and Trees", instead of "Hedges and Ditches"???

I was on holiday down in Paignton, Devon and we we went out for the day and came across
a small aircraft Museum and it had one on display, but it was difficult to see properly...
but I do remember the "Trees & Fields" on it.

Dave, I'm sure I saw another enamel sign many, many years ago with much the same writing,

I was on holiday down in Paignton, Devon and we we went out for the day and came across
a small aircraft Museum and it had one on display, but it was difficult to see properly...

It would be nice to find one of those, I've never seen one but it makes a lot of sense.

Dave.

Hi
i`m a new member here.Wow-you have nice collections of SD2-bombs.Unfortunately i only have one-and it is not complete.002 (3).jpg

Hi
i`m a new member here.Wow-you have nice collections of SD2-bombs.Unfortunately i only have one-and it is not complete.View attachment 68072
Hi thanks and thanks also for posting the photo, its always nice to see SD2's with original paint. Could you take a photograph of any markings on the body or wings please.
Thanks.
Dave.

agreed Dave........its always good to see original paintwork!! thanks for showing onkel-jo

appreciate the comments also and welcome to bocn

kind regards Kev

This is very interesting - not one I have seen or heard of before, but sounds very plausable.

Someone I know has a couple of these signs buried deep within his collection and he told me that he seems to think one of them mentioned about 'overhead wires' (bear in mind it was a vague recollection - but does sound in line with the trees one)
Obviously proof will be in the pudding as they say, but no doubt if they are out there sooner or later they will turn up!!

appreciate the input

regards Kev

This is very interesting - not one I have seen or heard of before, but sounds very plausable.

Someone I know has a couple of these signs buried deep within his collection and he told me that he seems to think one of them mentioned about 'overhead wires' (bear in mind it was a vague recollection - but does sound in line with the trees one)
Obviously proof will be in the pudding as they say, but no doubt if they are out there sooner or later they will turn up!!

appreciate the input

regards Kev

Pity he can't find them and take a couple of pictures, I still remember that sign I saw.
For some reason it always stuck in my memory, I new I had to have one.
Hopefully soon, I'll have the two versions that's been shown here.

Hi,
i have taken some pictures of my sd2.There are no markings on it.IMG_9249.jpgIMG_9250.jpgIMG_9251.jpgIMG_9252.jpgIMG_9254.jpg

But i can show you a single wing that i have sold a few month ago:egun 126 (Groß).jpg

I love these Butterfly Bombs, This is tremendous Onkel-jo! Thanks for posting.

I'm still trying to get a new bomb casing/body for my next project...

You only need a Fuze and Spindle arm and it's complete.

Thanks,
i already have some Fuses here.What i really need is a Spindle arm.

Genuine arming wires are really hard to find at the moment. I've come across fake ones at 2 shows I've been to recently. The main clue is the type of wire used.
See this link:
http://www.bocn.co.uk/threads/75595-SD2-arming-wires-real-or-repro
By all means buy a fake wire, that's up to you, some of them are very good but presumably they would be cheaper than a real one.
Dave.

Just an update on the growing collection of butterfly's.
Attached are some very recent additions.
The SD2 body is interesting in that its dated 1940 which is very early (they were first dropped in the UK in 1940). Are there any more early dated SD2's out there in peoples collections that you can post photos of?
All INERT etc.
Dave.

IMG_2138.jpgIMG_2144.jpgIMG_2145.jpgIMG_2149.jpgIMG_2060.jpgIMG_2085.jpg