What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BUTTERFLY BOMB - SD2 and M83 ' COLLECTION '

Here is the 'latest' addition to the collection. The condition of this one is 'reasonable', it has a couple of broken springs and is a little distorted, but not too bad. What it does have is a good covering of original paint, which is the brightest yellow I have seen to date, usually the yellow turns a mustard colour, but this one perhaps shows just how bright the yellow was..........note also the red stripes on the arming vanes.

regards Kev

View attachment 69973

Very nice Kev, GOOD FIND!

Dave.

Hi Bob, There is a little information on this in the Pawlas book and it translates roughly as follows....

" Fragment density: 1 fragment per m2 at 8m distance ,at 8m distance about 50 fragments over 5g, total of about 250 fragments over 1g "

As for actual fragments, I have one which has been attatched to a display board I obtained - however I am not sure if this is a genuine fragmented piece of body or merely a bit of broken body - It would certainly be over the 5g size - its difficult to photograph but I can try if you want me to?

You can see from the above figures that these certainly produced a huge ammount of fragments for their size and these fragments were deadly. A much higher percentage of injured people arriving at hospital died from their injuries compared with those injured by conventional bombs.

regards Kev

If you could ,a pic would be great.
Makes sense for the fragments to be small, giving a shotgun type effect.
Cheers,
Bob

If you could ,a pic would be great.
Makes sense for the fragments to be small, giving a shotgun type effect.
Cheers,
Bob

Here is a picture of the 'fragment' which is attatched to the display frame - though looking at it much closer I would say it is a broken piece of body as opposed to one that has exploded.
These display frames appeared on the market a few years ago and consist of SD2 relic parts mounted onto a basic frame with printed descriptions about the SD2's. The relic pieces I am almost certain originated from Finland as they are consistant with bits found there. In my opinion the price of these was quite high, but I managed to pick one up at a reasonable price as an example for the collection - I have attatched a photo so you can see. I think the person that made these up may have broken up a body to add pieces to the display to make it more interesting.

regards Kev

HPIM0186.jpgHPIM0187.jpgHPIM0190.jpgHPIM0191.jpg

Looking closely at the piece I have attatched to the board its not that rusty on the edges, which is why I came to that conclusion - it may not be too clear on the photos I posted. The other thing is that there is no real stress marks on the edges like appear on the other bits of shrapnel (sorry fragments!!!!) I have - where the steel has literally torn apart, these look like clean breaks - almost like when you drop a china plate, I think if you found the other piece it would fit nicely back together. On the shell/bomb fragments I have the torn damage would make it impossible for the two pieces to fit neatly together.

Of course I may be wrong - I have yet to see a fragment of SD2 that I can be 100% sure is from an explosion, when I do then I will be in a position to judge better

hope this helps

I would be interested to see more pics of any SD2 fragments that anyone has for comparison.....

regards Kev

I would be interested to see more pics of any SD2 fragments that anyone has for comparison.....

regards Kev

Kev I got one of the display cases a while back too, interestingly it included a wing clip in there too :tinysmile_hmm_t:
Attached are photos of the display case, a broken fragment and the clip.
Dave.
IMG_3501.jpgIMG_3500.jpgIMG_3499.jpg

You guys have done very nice displays!

I have some bigger "fragments" of these bombs.These would fit nicely with those displays. :)

Attachments

• SAMSUNG GT-I8350_000164.jpg
    SAMSUNG GT-I8350_000164.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 38
  • SAMSUNG GT-I8350_000165.jpg
    SAMSUNG GT-I8350_000165.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 43

I have some bigger "fragments" of these bombs.These would fit nicely with those displays. :)

Very interesting, thanks. Do you have photos of them as found in the field?

Dave.

Very interesting, thanks. Do you have photos of them as found in the field?

Dave.

I think i might have few photos somewhere in archives.

These are damn wanted pieces nowdays,even fragments are tough to find.Wingparts very hard to find also.

But i will do search on next weekend again.I will gather all bits i can find. :)

Very nice to see fragments like this, thanks for showing the pictures Jussi. much appreciated.

regards Kev

I had a few hours to myself today so messed around with the stuff in the spares box.
The main brake wings were VERY corroded and were full of holes and ready to fall to bits. The end paddles - one was heavily rusted, the other had to have the hinge replaced.
I didn't bother trying to manufacture springs and used all original bars and springs when putting it together.
Another one saved from the rust pile, its not perfect but will do.
Dave.

IMG_3506.jpgIMG_3510.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 72
Just a couple of photos of one I picked up today, its a bit rough but all original.

Dave.

IMG_3522.jpgIMG_3523.jpgIMG_3524.jpg

Dave if you ever want shift that body or one that will take a winged fuze please let me know. :tinysmile_classes_t

I will give it a very loving home.

Thanks in advance.

Hello to all SD-2 collecting tank! These photos for you have! Still all a good new 2012 Harry:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Kettenbombe   TC 10 e..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 b..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 i..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 f..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 c..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 g..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 d..jpgKettenbombe   TC 10 a..JPGKettenbombe   TC 10 h..JPG

Just bumping this thread regarding the kettenbombe, does anyone else have any information about it/line drawings of one/more photos that they could post please.

Thanks.

Dave.

Last edited:
Here's a relic piece of fuze I picked up recently.
Very rough and no hope at all of any form of restoration so I just gave it a good clean.
It looks like a previous owner set to work with a hammer for whatever reason. Why they had to choose a super rare 70B fuze nobody knows.
I thought the before and after would interest some of you to show what can be done.
Dave.

IMG_4019.jpgIMG_4020.jpgIMG_4021.jpgIMG_4009.jpgIMG_4018.jpgIMG_4010.jpgIMG_4008.jpg

You have a great collections of SD2.
I would like to add to my collection of manufacturers. bzz, bzp, ees, eot, eov, jjm, jqq, jqr, ?gy
bzz.jpgbzp.jpgees.jpgeot.jpgeov.jpgjjm.jpgjqq.jpgjqr.jpgx gy.jpg

Last edited: