What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BUTTERFLY BOMB - SD2 and M83 ' COLLECTION '

Where did you get them from mate?

Originals?

Dugup made me a batch.
I sent them 2 originals and they copied them. They are made to the same size and tension as originals.
You can sometimes get originals off relic wing sets but the problem is they snap very easily.
Dave.

i had visions of mrs SG500 battering you after finding out all the springs had been stolen from her clothes pegs

This one surprised me.
I got some M83 relic wings and dipped them in some rust treatment dip for a few days.
The end paddle has some great marking on it.

Before dipping.

IMG_4574.jpg
After dipping.
IMG_4603.jpgIMG_4604.jpg

Can anyone help out with the markings please?
Thanks.
Dave.

Usually WC stands for "HASAG" Hugo Schneider AG, Werk Meuselwitz/Altenburg, but not sure if that helps in this specific case?

Usually WC stands for "HASAG" Hugo Schneider AG, Werk Meuselwitz/Altenburg, but not sure if that helps in this specific case?

Thanks, that sounds like a very German sounding company.
These are from an American M83 butterfly bomb.
Dave.

Dave, I think the WC indicates Wolf Creek Ordnance Plant (Tennessee) - though I am sure some of our American members may be able to confirm that for you.
I'm not sure if its an indication of manufacturer or indicates being filled, maybe someone can help out.

regards Kev

here is an older thread which shows another M83 with identical markings...

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/32735-US-made-butterfly-bomb?p=69085#post69085

Last edited:
Thanks Kev.
Interesting.......same markings, different end paddles.
Dave.

That's a REALLY NICE poster Kev, good find.
Interesting that they show one of the ones with the banana brackets on the wings.
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

That's a REALLY NICE poster Kev, good find.
Interesting that they show one of the ones with the banana brackets on the wings.
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Thanks Dave always good to find something new for the collection.
regarding the banana wing variation, if you take a look at the first post on page 10 of this thread you will see a photo of a couple of booklets produced by the Americans. The first image from WW2 also shows a banana wing variation, the second from Korea the illustration has been clearly modified so as to represent a square hinge. I would imagine the first drawings were done from a captured banana wing version of SD2 and everything followed on from there. I do seem to remember that in some other WW2 ordnance books the photographic image is also of a banana wing version, which perhaps verifies the point.

regards Kev

box for 24 SD2.JPG24 SD2.JPG here are a couple of updated photos of the original transportation box that I added to my collection some time ago. Now with contents added, wings only for now ..... but it now looks the part. regards Kev

Last edited:
Now that's just showing off Kev :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
FANTASTIC!
Looks like a good pension fund to me.
Dave.

Another recent addition and to bocn member mk701 I have to say a big thankyou for letting me add this one to my collection.

Although this container is a little out of shape and the hinges are out of alignment, I decided to leave it as is,...........however I opted to clean it up a little and give it a coat of paint to hopefully preserve it for a number of years to come. The colour ought to be a little darker than it is and the writing which I have hand done I am not totally happy with, however I thought it deserved to be seen. In lieu of SD2's I have used some cardboard tubes of similar diameter and this helps to hold the sides in alignment........and it also highlights how it has been bent out of shape. I made two double eyed bars which were used to hold the sides together, these ought to have split pins to secure them, but as yet I haven't managed to source the large ringed type required for this.

This one has known history and was apparently dropped on Russian postions in 1945, I decided therefore that the deformations of the container ought to be retained.

The AB70-3 (holding 22 SD2) is opened by an electrical charged short delay and is an adaption of the AB24 (holding 24 SD2), which although similar in design was mechanically operated (spring release). The AB70-3 was dropped from low level and the electrical release system meant that it was a safe way to deliver SD2's with the anti-disturbance fuze 70B.

(for 'before' photos of this container see post 137 of this thread)

regards Kev

ab 70-5  (2).JPG ab 70-5  (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely specimen Kev, all you need to do now is fill it it up with SD 2's :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Dave.

Kev, from the colour and markings I'm guessing you've seen the example on display in the IWM - photos attached but quality limited by the display case glass.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC02635.jpg
    DSC02635.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC02634.jpg
    DSC02634.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 60