What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BUTTERFLY BOMB - SD2 and M83 ' COLLECTION '

Kev, from the colour and markings I'm guessing you've seen the example on display in the IWM - photos attached but quality limited by the display case glass.

Tom.

Hi Tom,
Yes I have seen these photos, there are some taken by IWM themselves on their website, here is a link.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30023916

There is also a good period photograph in 'Objects Dropped from the Air' 1944 edition, thought this photo is in b&w, but markings are also shown.

The one on display in the Imperial War Museum is the only example of this container I know about, there must be others out there.......has anyone seen another?

As regards colour for this container I have seen it described as light brown, khaki, and fawn and unless you can colour match to something you have getting the correct shade is a nightmare, however I do know that the colour I have painted mine is too light - this can be changed as/when necessary

One interesting feature on the example I have is the additional bracket for charging head to the rear of the hanging eye. You will notice that the charging head is mounted on the forward bracket as in the one shown from the IWM however this addition would suggest that its possible for the container to be mounted in either direction along its longitudinal axis by simply changing the position of the charging head.

regards Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
I once had an ambition that I thought for me, may be impossible to acheive ................. I can only say nothing is impossible.

(this is an 'ongoing project' but thought the image was interesting enough to share)

regards Kev

AB23 sd2.JPG

Kev you really do have the definitive collection of SD 2 related things, awesome!

Thanks for showing.

Dave.

Just a few photos of the insides of the 70b1 and 70b2 fuzes.
The trembler weight was snapped of on both when they were opened but it gives a better view of the inside.
Dave.

70b1 on left, 70b2 on right
IMG_6830.jpgIMG_6831.jpg

70b1
IMG_6832.jpg

70b2
IMG_6833.jpg

here is something that perhaps not so many people know about.
Within the 'Red book', otherwise known as 'Enemy Sabotage Equipment' is a photograph of a modified butterfly bomb used for sabotage/demolition - known as the 'Buttermod' - I will leave it to the photograph to describe it.
below is my version of the 'buttermod' compared to original photos (inert and FFE)

note that the fuze in the original photographs is not 'locked in place' and is seen rotated 90 degrees. In use it would have been locked in place with the steel locking clips.

ese 1 - Copy.jpg

buttermod comparison.JPG

Last edited:
What is the modification then that makes it a booby trap?

Its my understanding its more of a sabotage device where the bomb is set on a timer (a normal 67 fuze) to explode after a given period, as opposed to a "booby trap" which presumably explodes if you touch it? By what it says in the article there isn't any modification apart from taking the arming wire and wings off.

Great info Kev, thanks for posting it.

Dave.

What is the modification then that makes it a booby trap?

Yes Dave is correct. It would appear that the name 'Buttermod' was derived from 'Butterfly modification' - but actually it would appear the butterfly bomb was not modified in any way, perhaps it is associated more that the use was 'modified'.
The type 67 fuze was factory set for delays of up to 30 minutes - each fuze was marked and could be set at five minute intervals, the number was engraved onto the side of the fuze itself.... 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30. With the wing set and arming cable removed the body of the bomb with a type 67 fuze inserted, became an effective clockwork delay charge. I expect it could have all manner of uses, sabotage could include equipment that needed to be destoyed to save it falling into enemy hands. It could also do considerable damage to anything of 'soft skin' nature, aircraft, trucks etc.

Apart from this booklet I have not seen any other reference to this, but the concept is certainly valid, and would have been very effective if used in such a way.

regards Kev

Is the Z67 confirmed to having been used in the role without wings and spindle?

So the Z70 was then more of a booby trap as it was deigned to be anti disturbance.

Is the Z67 confirmed to having been used in the role without wings and spindle?

So the Z70 was then more of a booby trap as it was deigned to be anti disturbance.

Enemy Sabotage Equipment is the only place I have seen this, but as it dates from 1945 I suspect it saw limited use and was probably used when other materials, specifically designed for the job were not at hand. It would be wonderful to see documented use of this, however I'm not sure if it would have been recorded. It is clearly defined that it was the type 67 fuze used, which was the clockwork time delay fuze.
I ought to make it clear that in this format it was used as a sabotage device and not as a 'booby trap'. ie; for destruction of sensitive equipment.

The 70B is the anti-disturbance fuze and in its operation could be defined as a 'booby trap', though I think anti-disturbance is a much better description. I think a booby-trap is something that is specifically put in a certain place, often set to deceive.

Kev

IMG_8690.jpgIMG_8691.jpgIMG_8692.jpgIMG_8693.jpg

Just a few photos to show some M 83 wing and arming wire variations.
Photo 1. Almost identical to German SD 2. Solid wing cradle.
Photo 2. Multi piece construction of wing cradle.
Photo 3. Folded metal construction of wing cradle.
Photo 4. 3 types of arming wire
Photo 5. View of all 3. Left is very similar to SD 2 - brackets on small wings and bracket to hold wings shut. Centre again has the small bracket on the small wings. Right has completely different construction of small wings with no separate bracket.

All empty and INERT.

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_8689.jpg
    IMG_8689.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
In post #32 of this thread I showed some small circular vanes of which I have little information.....
Although precise information about these has still to be determined I have finally added another example to my collection. It is perhaps in as poor a condition as the ones originally found by Dave, however I wanted to share these 'untouched' as proof of their existance.
The original ones I showed were restored by Dave using filler, in order to preserve, what would have otherwise fallen apart - such was their condition. The second example that I have recently found, although poor, give details and idea of shape etc. in their original format.

What is clear is that the wing frame has been cut back on the main spar and the 'tear drop' shape vanes inserted into a diagonal cut, which has been made in order to put an angle on the vanes in order to arm the fuze. There also appears to be a slight ridge on one edge of the 'tear drop' shape vane, again no doubt to influence the turning action. A circular impression at the centre of each vane is presumably for strength.

I believe this vane construction was along the lines of the 'other' reduced triangular vane type, in which the size of the actual vane was being reduced in order to allow the bombs to fall at a faster rate, while still arming the fuze during their fall. I suspect this was all connected to the proposed air-to-air use against bomber formations. It would be imprerative that the time from the release to target is kept to a minimum, and as the attacking aircraft wouldnt want to be 'too close', then a fast descent of the bomb would be necessary. Unlike the other variations, this is a fixed vane, so it cuts out both complicated production and another action. I also suspect that the reduced wing spar and eventual size of the 'fixed wing' is simply for packing into the containers - how this was done again is open to speculation, however with the reduced size it would certainly be easier.

The experimental theory is backed up by some information kindly supplied by the seller.........it appears that these originated from Rechlin, albeit around twenty plus years ago - a time at which the other small wing types surfaced. This again gives added credibility to the fact that they were all connected in some way. Of course until documentation is uncovered we will not really know exactly why these were produced, and indeed no such documentation may survive.

Here ares some photos showing comparison of both wings next to a complete wing spar and one that has been cut, as for use with the triangular type vanes. You can clearly see that the main 'spar' has been cut further to produce these, but they give a good size comparison.

again if anyone has further information about these, or indeed further expamples I would love to know.....

regards Kev

PB051148.jpgPB051149.jpgPB051150.jpgPB051151.jpgPB051152.jpgPB051153.jpg

This is the mysterious chain bomb !!! Has been a trial. Harry
View attachment 109497

Harry, this final photo of the fuze is not from the kettenbombe but is the internal part of the 67/V mechanical clockwork time fuze for use with candle flares. (the outer case looks very similar to that of the Z17Bm fuze for the V1)
it is in fact a modified type 67 fuze.
I believe a member of bocn has such a fuze, I will see if I can find the thread

regards Kev

here is the link .......... http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/71332-L-Zt-Z-67-V

Last edited:
Found my first butterfly yesterday! Picked this up at the flea market and I have been searching Google to find info on it and found you guys. I hope you find it interesting DSCN0977[1].jpgDSCN0978[1].jpgDSCN0979[1].jpgDSCN0980[1].jpgDSCN0981[1].jpgDSCN0982[1].jpgDSCN0983[1].jpgDSCN0984[1].jpgDSCN0985[1].jpgDSCN0986[1].jpg