What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly Summer........

waffenamt

Hi Fellas,
Once again i call on my brethrin!
I would like these restored by the summer if ive time.I need advice of you boys on the the `hows` please?
How to restore them?,should i restore them(filling/painting etc)
I will post a series of pictures of parts i have then its over to you.

best

waff

This topic title was named after an episode of the TV series `Danger UXB!` Since i posted the topic,ive now found out that the episode was called `Butterfly Winter` oops!:bigsmile:
S7002304.JPG

Last edited:
Underside of the bodies.The right hand one has a hole in the bottom which i assumed it was a training `smoke` version?.
The other one looks like its been dragged around with a plough?
The left hand one i paid 30 at beltring last year.The `hole` one,well that was a controversial buy as one guy was `shill-bidding` for his mate and i caught them out.
Pm me for details as im modding in here nowadays and cannot pubicly `out` the bad boy..
S7002309.jpg

Topside of wings.This set came from Cyprus.Im not convinced that it is original paint on them?.
What say you?
S7002311.jpg

Hi Paul
That part of a wing you have is not a part its a complete wing
The germans produced a number of arming vanes , this item could not have armed a butterfly bomb fuze , the idea was for a high flying German bomber flying above our bomber force , was to drop a load of these bombs with that arming vane onto the bombers below.
As far as i understand these trials were never carried out?
Restoration of the bomb cases a good wire brushing with a electric drill is all they really need , the bakelite gaines are nice to have as they were for the (41) and (67) and (70) fuzes . the arming rods be carefull not to bend them as the wires snap very easily .
Are the bomb bodies have a hole in the base?
Regards
Steve

some stamps on the arming rod.

ok boys,what do i need to do?
Do i use steel pins to attach the rod and spinner on the fuze again?
maybe make one bomb from the parts?
Fill or re-paint?

Im sure i can leave it with you guys!

cheers and best

waff:)
S7002318.jpg

Hi Cyprus do you mean Malta where they were dropped during the seige ?
Steve

They would look lovely sprayed pink and made into a wind chime my missus says looking over my shoulder ,seriously though you have some nice bits and some rough bits ,you need to make the rough look really good and new make sure you fill all the pitting on the bomb bits before spraying with something like araldite glue and sand before it sets like concrete.

DAZ REICH wrote:
They would look lovely sprayed pink and made into a wind chime my missus says looking over my shoulder ,seriously though you have some nice bits and some rough bits ,you need to make the rough look really good and new make sure you fill all the pitting on the bomb bits before spraying with something like araldite glue and sand before it sets like concrete.
Therein lies the decision!

I might regret filling the `holed` one.
Pink is not an option!:laugh:

best

waff

Hi Paul
After removing the surface rust with a wire brush pop down to your local Dulux paintshop that mixes paints for you .
You want RAL6006 their code i think is 84YY07045 finish i would use Matt that is the nearest lluftwaffe grey/green you can get
Steve

Hi steve,so i could still display one of the bombs with it as the weapon you describe?
I understand that these shorter `winglets` were called `sycamores`?
also,only one of the bodies has a hole in the bottom.
cheers

waff

Hi fuzeman all the ones i have seen for sale have been a catsick yellow colour is this an original colour or the grey /green you describe
Waff if you want a good grey you should visit this scutty family that live two streets away from me and look at their window nets, talk about panzer grey .