What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clam Mine

Spotter I looking this magnets to my clam mine. You got it yet? I would be very grateful for your help.
Below dimensions my clam mine.
clammine.jpg

I dont think i have any left but i will have a look for you
allan

The clam is a Mine/demolition charge which is attatched to the target by strong magnets.It contained 8oz of HE.IT could penetrate 25mm of plate metal and was capable of cracking engine blocks,and bending rail track.The Mk1 was made of tinned steel,The Mk2 and Mk3 were made of bakelite.A "L" delay was used to detonate this device
This image shows the clam as found
Copy_of_b_clam_mk3-6c15fed9b2f01d4b29e4d07035f967f4.jpg

Hello!
Do you know, when first Clam began to used in British Army?
Maybe you have old manual on thus mine?
I asked some question, but nobody answered me :tinysmile_cry_t: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/clam-mark-1-t76041.html

Clam

Hello!
Do you know, when first Clam began to used in British Army?
Maybe you have old manual on thus mine?
I asked some question, but nobody answered me

Production of the bakelite Clam started at the end of April 1940 (5 pence each by De La Rue of 69 grenade fame) but their issue was confined to saboteur groups, Independent Companies (Commandos) and some to Auxiliary Units. Directorate of Ammunition Production (Ministry of Supply) took over production from MD1 in 1943 when the Clam (Mark III version) was more generally available to the Army. Large stocks of the Mark IIIs were shipped to Russia and were copied (maybe still are?) for SF use.

About 12.5 million Clams were made in the UK.

The first pattern (see photo) was of metal, rather than plastic, construction with floating magnets. The second was plastic and use fixed horseshoe magnets. The Mark III (actually called Mark II by MD1 at the time of design) was deeper and reverted to the use of floating magnets.

Attachments

• clammki.jpg
    clammki.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 74
Jeff,
The code on a band like this is usually to do with the filling composition, standard of TNT or RDX etc., used in the mix for instance. I have 3 recorded as PE but I will do a bit of homework to see if I can find a definitive answer.

Jeff,

The 3 for PE is on a Blue ground. The Green and Black bar is for TNT based filling. The code 3 on this combination with yellow edging seems to indicate that it is filled TNT/CE 55/45. A code of T.N.T.3 would indicate RDX/TNT 50/50.

The first pattern (see photo) was of metal, rather than plastic, construction with floating magnets.
I have attached a photo of the botttom of the Mk.I showing the floating magnets and stencil markings.

Attachments

• Mine_Clam_Mk.I.jpg
    Mine_Clam_Mk.I.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Anders, nice to see the MD1 inspection marks.

Its a perfectly correct combination of course but Stuart Macrae would be turning in his grave if he saw the Time Pencil in the Clam rather than the 'L' delay - an American time pencil at that. The SOE preferred the Time Pencil over the 'L' Delay but then their techies designed the Tim Pencil.

Thanks Anders, nice to see the MD1 inspection marks.

Its a perfectly correct combination of course but Stuart Macrae would be turning in his grave if he saw the Time Pencil in the Clam rather than the 'L' delay - an American time pencil at that. The SOE preferred the Time Pencil over the 'L' Delay but then their techies designed the Tim Pencil.
Yes I am sure he would. :tinysmile_hmm_t:
But unfortunate I do not have an LDelay :tinysmile_cry_t:

Hi. Here's a data sheet I put together on one of my clam mines. Probably of most interest is the wooden dummy fuze. This is original to the mine, but I am not sure if it was just a shipping plug or actually a training fuze. This mine was one of several found in an old army dump many years ago. None of the mines were stenciled and several had the wooden fuzes. Cheers

Attachments

• Clam all V4.jpg
    Clam all V4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Rectifier

Hi. Here's a data sheet I put together on one of my clam mines. Probably of most interest is the wooden dummy fuze. This is original to the mine, but I am not sure if it was just a shipping plug or actually a training fuze. This mine was one of several found in an old army dump many years ago. None of the mines were stenciled and several had the wooden fuzes. Cheers

The wooden 'fuze' is what is called a rectifier (also called a plug or a pin on MD1 literature). The early marks of the Clam were field filled with a plasticised explosive and the rectifier, which is the shape of a No 9 'L' Delay Switch, was inserted to make suitable shaped hole for the 'L' delay and detonator (ie the fuze). The prefilled Mark IIIs still had the rectifier. The photographs in your datasheet show Mark II clams - they are slightly less deep than the Mk III and use fixed horseshoe magnets.

Last edited:
Hi Fragman

I think you actually have a Mk II clam there. Also, I am told, known by MD1 as a Mk 1 Plastic, just to confuse the issue. Mark III clams are deeper, between 38-40mm and have single magnets at each end. My example which appears identical to yours only measures 30mm deep.
These clams were often of the "self fill" type and the user would pack them with whatever plastic explosive available. The wooden "dummy fuse" is for use as a rectifier to push a hole in the filling to enable you to fit your time pencil when required.

Hope this helps

Regards, Switch

Thanks for the info. The data sheets been changed. This is the photo that made me think it was a Mk3. Cheers

Attachments

• clam.jpg
    clam.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
some type of yugo clam mines....

Attachments

• _CW_091.jpg
    _CW_091.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 110
  • _CW_092.jpg
    _CW_092.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 85
  • _CW_093.jpg
    _CW_093.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 93
  • _CW_094.jpg
    _CW_094.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
  • _CW_095.jpg
    _CW_095.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 88
Hi, all.
Anybody have information about Georman version Clam Mine? I know, that mine used in WWII -- and article from russian military journal.

Article with german Clam Mine.
If somebody need journal title - i can give it.

Attachments

• Pict0008.jpg
    Pict0008.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Pict0009.jpg
    Pict0009.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 89
Better quality

Attachments

• Clam Mine.jpg
    Clam Mine.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Clam Mine-2.jpg
    Clam Mine-2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 69
Hello all,
Anybodyknow how many Clam British sent to France and when it began?