What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clam Mine

Hi bar5428

M.D. 1 is Ministry of Defence 1, also known as Winston Churchill's Toyshop - The organisation that created the clam

A.7 - Inspectors Mark. I have seen up to A.23, but they may go a lot higher

Not sure about the three yellow lines, but I think they may be a stylised Broad Arrow

127 - I think this may indicate either the Filling Station or the filling content. Not sure, but if we are lucky, I know the answer exists within BOCN

Hope this helps for starters

Cheers

Switch

[...]

127 - I think this may indicate either the Filling Station or the filling content. Not sure, but if we are lucky, I know the answer exists within BOCN
Switch

At this time a circle with a number in it referred to the "Filling Series" which is like a lot number as I understand it. Mk I Clams were issued empty as well for filling 'in the field'.

Have these been featured in any films? I learned of these while watching "Patriot Games" with Harrison Ford back in the nineties, looked different as the one used had four "Button" horseshoe magnets staggered in the center. Have been fascinated since.

Have these been featured in any films? I learned of these while watching "Patriot Games" with Harrison Ford back in the nineties, looked different as the one used had four "Button" horseshoe magnets staggered in the center. Have been fascinated since.
Yes the Limpet Mk.II Type 6 as shown below is featured in the Norwegian movie "Max Manus". The true story about one of the most brilliant saboteurs during World War II and his battle to fight the Germans.
Limpet Mk.II.jpg

That is a very cool letter you got there Dave, congrats. :tinysmile_classes_t

Well Anders When that turned up at my door and i opened the parcel i nearly cried, i never expected any thing, i have always found the Norwegians very thankful for what thy get and it was great fun helping them.

Dave

The Macrae Papers give wartime production of the MD1 Clams as 1,228,000 with 50,000 being demanded by Russia in April 1942.

I have some information.
From july 1941 to december 1944 to USSR by Lend-Lease was sending 79268 magnet mine. Ithink it were only Clam, different type.
But it british book we can see this nambers about that how many Clams were making total during WWII
table.jpg

ISRB (ie SOE) produced their own version of a Clam as well as using MD1 designs (3). US versions were also available later in the war.
Macrae's figure only accounts for MD1 variants and since it was used for a claim after the war I expect it is reasonably accurate. The lend-lease figure is interesting and should be able to be verified from British documents at TNA/PRO.

Anders,

It is "SOE The Scientific Secrets" by Fredric Boyce and Douglas Everett, published 2003 by Sutton Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-7509-3165-5, a very good book.

The production figures are taken from the SOE histories in TNA (HS 7) which relate to ISRB (SOE) production and usually that managed by Aston House (Station 12). You will know that magnetic charges (limpets and clams) were made by MD1 as well as ISRB. Similarly delay, pull, pressure and release switches were made by both organisations but ISRB only account for their own production in their histories.

Thanks Bonnex, I do have the "SOE The Scientific Secrets", and it is a very good read.

Hi
Again, forgive decipher labeling. Found 2 items. in Russia.