What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depleted Uranium ammunition - UK Legal??

Falcon

Are there any laws in the UK prohibiting posession of depleted Uranium rounds?

Apparently as long as the projectile is intact and the DU contained inside it, there is an almost non-existent radiation risk.

I do not have any DU rounds, and I have never seen any for sale. I was only wondering if posession of them was legal.

If anyone has got any of these,FOO31 might appreciate a lend of them to test his geiger counter properly !!!

Hi there,
under section 5 i dont think you can 'lend' such an item and as they are current weaponry i think it would be hard to obtain under licence anyway. The recipient would also have to have them listed on his licence too so i dont think thats a goer.

Andy

I guess that we shouldn't be taking any of this too seriously,but FOO31 does need a radioactive source to test his geiger counter properly.If he did manage to get his hands on some DU projectiles,and he didn't mind taking a chance on winding up glowing in the dark like a Russian submariner,he could always try sawing one in half in order to get a decent reading!!!!!!!!!

How about using his luminous watch? Me, ide rather keep my bollocks intact and trust the bloody thing worked anyway.

Andy

The old wartime watches would give a strong reading , or old aircraft instruments .
But i would watch it if i were you

Try asking at the local hospital if they have a safe radioactive source to test his kit on.

Just a note about DU (staballoy) rounds here in the U.S. The 20mm Davey Crockett spotter projectile has a DU body that was loaded with explosive. It was designed to make an impressive flash on impact. It isn't really an AP round, as it is nose-fuzed HE. The Davey Crockett projo is usually a plum purple, the color of oxidized DU. It is also heavy to the touch, like tungsten. Additionally, the improved LAW is reputed to have its shaped charge cone made from staballoy. I don't know how these would be classified in the U.K.

John

Just a note about DU (staballoy) rounds here in the U.S. The 20mm Davey Crockett spotter projectile has a DU body that was loaded with explosive. It was designed to make an impressive flash on impact. It isn't really an AP round, as it is nose-fuzed HE. The Davey Crockett projo is usually a plum purple, the color of oxidized DU. It is also heavy to the touch, like tungsten. Additionally, the improved LAW is reputed to have its shaped charge cone made from staballoy. I don't know how these would be classified in the U.K.

John

Hi John, probably worth clarifying that SOME of the Davey Crockett rounds are DU, some are not. I am familiar with the version you mention (the purple ones), the ones on the attached posting that I own aren't DU.
Dave.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/something-spice-you-t32026p2.html?highlight=davy+crockett

Go to the dentist and hold it behind you and get a snap !

Oh wait a minute --- there are no Dentists in the UK ! :tinysmile_shutup_t2

meter

My meter has a similar scale. These 1950s-60s instruments seem to be somewhat insensitive, and the barest flicker of the pointer would suggest an unhealthy environment.

But I also have a more modern instrument, a true Geiger counter that is much more sensitive. As you see from the second picture, wearing the Soviet compass is not a good idea!

I don't have a firearms certificate. Please do not even think about sending me live ammunition!!

Tony.

Attachments

• Meter.JPG
    Meter.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Compass.JPG
    Compass.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
@Gothica; That paint on watches and airplane gauges was Radium paint, extracted by Mrs. Curie in Paris in the 1920's. And it is dangerous. She died on leukemia in 1934.

I do however have not a clue to laws, rules and regulations as where it comes to DU in collections, either in the UK, either Europe.

As far as I know (my opinion and knowledge), DU as a rod or block is not a very dangerous metal. There is hardly any radiation from a rod/block of DU, the average television set releases the same amount of radiation.
However I think DU dust and DU oxide ARE very dangerous as:
A : all metal oxides are very poisenous. So rubbing a rod of DU in your hands and eating a sandwich without washing your hands straight afterwards is dangerous. Always wear gloves when handling this stuff, as the outer surface of any metal -exept gold and platinum- will rapidly oxidize. As DU is pyoforic (oxidizing with oxygen in air rapidly without external energy source) there will allways be a thin layer of oxide on an unpainted DU rod.

B : DU as a molecular particles - which can be inhaled - are also dangerous. I think for instance it is not wise to -souvernir-search a tank wreck in Iraq that has been shot up by DU ammo. On impact, a certain part of the DU projectile will change into fine dust covering the in and outside of the tank. Inhaling this dust will end up in a metal oxide poisening.
The diseases that occcur from metal oxide poisoning vary between nerve system failure / paralysis (aluminium, zinc) to degeneration of the brain / insanity (lead / mercury) or liver / kidney failre.

I therefore think it's not gonne fall under firearms section alone, but also under hazardous/undesired chemical material/waste acts.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've been following this thread with some interest and offer the following. The first pic shows a recently acquired meter, certified and calibrated, for testing the projectile in the second pic. Having read many sources on these rounds, I had concluded there was no worry of ill effects as the "depleted" part of the description pretty much says it all. For the record, there was no reaction of the needle, on any setting, when placed near or in contact with this projectile.
IMG_0553-1.jpg

IMG_0395-1.jpg
Such a beautiful round,I sure wish I knew where to get one!!!!!! The ex wife has my balls so no worries about that!!

Seriously bad for your health !

Any fired DU round is seriously bad news for the person picking it up !
And any airborne debris if ingested if usually fatal !

Unfired DU still makes me want to keep away from it.

I have three known "Nuke" sites nearby so do not need any extra help with my green glow at night :thumpdown:

It's getting very technical all this,I'm glad to see that FOO31 has entered the fray,he,at least,doesn't seem to overly concerned about adverse effects on his wedding tackle!!! On a completely different radioactive topic,I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that in the later stages of WW2,some,otherwise undetectable German landmines came with a bag of what I think they called "tarnsand".This was perhaps the only German army use of radioactive material (fortunately!!!) I'm guessing that after laying the mine the bag was emptied over the top,and would have needed some kind of radiation detector to to locate them later should that prove necessary.

DU Uranium Ammo UK Legal??

Here in the US, IT is legal to posess DU ordnance. I am not sure about how our Post Office feels about handling these objects, though. I have an M100 20mm spotting round from our atomic mortar of the late 50s. It was made with a DU body. I also have a geiger counter. The round is hot as a $5 pistol! I definately wouldn't put it under my pellow! DU corrodes easily in the presence of water and air, so it is best to keep some kind of inert coating on the metal. No reasonable amout of shielding can stop the high energy radiation. The use of an old radium dial from a watch or instrument is a good way to check the functioning of a geiger counter. Have fun! -Rick