What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depleted Uranium ammunition - UK Legal??

@ Falcon; Exact.

DU is also used a lot as weighting material as it has a much higher mass per qubic inch than lead. For instance counterbalance weights in the rudders of airplanes. I can remember seeing a documentary on the discovery channel about an Airoplane scrapyard somewhere in the US desert. The weights were removed from the ruddes without any special kit or clothing, however some government organisation (bureau of energy?) was called in to collect them as it was considered light/low risk nuclear waste that should not simply be dumped in some scrapyard corner.

I would add that depleted uranium is also used as a neutron reflector (tamper) in weapons. It is sometimes used as an outer case, to reflect the neutrons back into the reaction to cause a bigger reaction. That being said, it is a material that terrorist types could be seeking, and therefore government types would want to add more controls to.

In the U.S. since 9/11, controls of any nuclear end-use materials have been increased tremendously.

Hahaha, good one... :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
But then... you, Rick and I know the answer to your question to be: "Japan".

O.k., all the others: sorry for the inside joke. Surely Rick and Lou got it :xd:

Cheers,
Olafo
Yes a mild inside joke,but a very happy collecter I am.Thanks to you and the slick one.Oh and also,much appreciated,relenting the pagoda. Japan will be in your future.With paint on a big old ricochet.:tinysmile_twink_t:

Glad someone posted the link to Wickp.Hope it will calm the fears.But still,you all are correct for using caution.Id never own one.:angel:

Yes a mild inside joke,but a very happy collecter I am. Thanks to you and the slick one. Oh and also,much appreciated,relenting the pagoda. Japan will be in your future.With paint on a big old ricochet.:tinysmile_twink_t:

You're most welcome, and yes, when making a journey through Japan, pagodas will naturally come along the way, at times requiring some effort to indulge them. Alright, we'll see how the "Slick Ric(k)ochet" will come along too. Cool perspective! :xd:

Cheers!
Olafo

My unit had a piece of DU ammo in it's collection a while back- been in the back of a display cabinet for years, causing no harm.
Newly purchased toys were barely able to find it above the base or "background" levels of radiation (the microwave was hotter).
Unfired DU ammo should be safe, but, if I were to have any, I would cover it with a "spray on" clear coat lacquer. It is commonly found in art supply stores to preserve charcoal drawings and the like.
Having a small sealable display case made for the item would be another good idea.
Anything from a battlefield where armor was beaten should be treated the same- not only does ammo have DU in it- so does most modern armor.
Not only eating, but inhalation, or introducing the dust into a cut, will allow the alpha particle to play merry hell with your system.
Thankfully, DU isn't used as much as it used to be. The only real effect a DU penetrator has on a tank, is it sets the already dead crew on fire (no point in burning a corpse). The gun on the A-10 still use it, however.

Thankfully, DU isn't used as much as it used to be. The only real effect a DU penetrator has on a tank, is it sets the already dead crew on fire (no point in burning a corpse). The gun on the A-10 still use it, however.
It is also used by the 25mm Bushmaster gun in the Bradley MICV (APFSDS), and available for the 25mm gun in the Harrier AV-8B (API). Plus of course 120mm tank guns in US and (IIRC) UK service (APFSDS).