What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebay again!

navyman

Hello all,
Yesterday I placed a bid on ebay for a trench art inkwell mounted on a plinth complete with original bakalite inkwell inside. It had a hinged lid and was made from a WW1 No 36. Guess what? This morning I had an email from these power crazed idiots telling me the item had been removed as it was in breach of their policies!
Thats it, I'm closing my account with them immediately, the world is going mad, and I'm furiously mad.
Cheers,
navyman.
PS ebay are refusing to close my account because I'm still bidding, despite the fact that the item has been removed by them, I despair!

Attachments

• inkwell.jpg
    inkwell.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hi Guy,

what it means is that some nasty little **** has reported the item to ebay and because of this, they have removed it. However, if you have a note of the seller as i seem to remember telling you to make a note of if bidding then you can contact him direct and do the deal. I certainly would not cut off your nose to spite your face in closing your ebay a/c. You may need it in the future and if its just sitting there not being used it aint really a problem. I have had humungous problems with ebay in the past but ime afraid its a neccessary evil these days, not just for militaria but Christmas prezzies and anything else you might need.
Keep the faith bud, some little tosser reported the item, thats why it was pulled.Ebay wouldnt have done anything otherwise.

Andy

Thanks for the words of wisdom Andy,
I've tried to contact the seller by sending message relating to a non militaria item he has on sale but no reply yet.
What a strange world we live in, our forebears fought for our freedom, as our service persons do today. I was a submariner but never saw active service, came close in the sixties, but luckily situation was defused!
All best,
Guy.

EBay is crap now. It's fallen so far and what a dissapointment. It all started with not being allowed to show the swastika on your German stuff of that era which was and is ridiculous. In my opinion that is dishonoring those who sacrificed their lives to win that war. And now a 60+ year old grenade that was cut open and made into something safe and constructive is against the rules? Who are the Nazis now Ebay?

Justin

Too many do gooders on there I think. I have had so many items removed in the past and been suspended 3 times. Buggers

Thanks for all your comments.
Brad, I'm a bit confused as the inkwell you told me about is the same one which I bidded on and when I looked at the details it still lists me as the highest bidder? I've resisted the temptation to add another pound to it to see what happens so think I'll sit tight and see what happens when the auction ends in five days time.
Cheers,
Guy.

This is beyond a joke, but, like gothica says hang in. I have to say that it almost feels personal sometimes, especially when someone elses item, often more controversial, remains on sale. There are some blatantly bullet-shaped 'trench art' items for sale right now. As a collector in numerous fields, I find it a bit of a Gorgonzola when you can buy/sell a sword, a bowie knife big enough to gut a whale etc, but you can't buy/sell a truncheon as it's 'designed as a weapon' - (oh really) and there's no arguing with the Gnomes of Luxembourg or whoever they are. (What about a cricket bat??)

Hello nightwatch,
Your comments cheered me up today. The whole situation seems pretty daft to me, glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of this auction.
All best,
navyman.

I like the silliest thread idea!
Out of interest I was outbid on the inkwell at the last minute by an unknown bidder, (by 1), I hadn't intended to go any higher anyway but was curious to see what the outcome was.
I'd already spent the money set aside for it on a little treat from Dugup. As usual, totally efficient, order placed lunchtime Tuesday, arrived next day before twelve! No complaints there!
Cheers,
navyman.

Ebay banned ordnance, then came inkwells and ashtrays, what's next beanie babies )==(any beanie baby collectors on this forum are in dire need of re-orientation)

I've found on ebay that people seem to sell shell cases by listing them as things like "Trench art plain shell case flower holder" for an un-engraved case. Whoever polices ebay is too thick to know the difference.

I bought a Russian M1912 grenade off ebay recently, it was advertized as a Russian trench lantern:)
Gus

I can't help but remember the good old ebay days, where you could spend 50,00 and get a nice WW1 German grenade. My first m1917 German rifle grenade came from ebay and set me back 20.00. Nothing lasts forever, but there were some good ebay days before they got too big for their own breeches and decided what is appropriate for people to buy. Nowadays ebay can kiss my behind! Hate emQ. Must be nice to get so big and affluent that you may dictatate what individuals may and may not buy. It is plain and simple censorship in its ugliest gform.........Dano

Last edited: