What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elaz 17A variant

satan18

Another parcel arrived from Germany with a reasonable
17A 1940 pattern all ally body with the plastic lower inner clock case.

These were not used for that long as the plastic cases were prone for splitting up and there for jamming the clocks,so they reverted back to
ally inner cases.

This example has a bit of a pitted top but nice enough body and is marked

ELAZ 17A bmv 1941.

Attachments

• Elaz17A 014.jpg
    Elaz17A 014.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Elaz17A 015.jpg
    Elaz17A 015.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Elaz17A 016.jpg
    Elaz17A 016.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Elaz17A 017.jpg
    Elaz17A 017.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Mmmmm!! Very nice old pal. :)
I see its a straight 'A' variant unmodified judging by the lack of a * mark. Has the dots prior to the ELAZ stamps which tell me its for cold-weather use.

Good to see plastic clocks nicely stamped. Its deffo a nice pickup,well done!

cheers

waff

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Ah!!! yes,i remember the one now!!

Wow,thats some cabinet in that room buddy. ;)

best

waff

Nice varient Phil. This is a new one to me - do you know how long they were in production before they changed back to the ally clock cases?

Also I know there was a plastic version of the Zus 40 - preceeding the zinc version. Were the plastic version of these changed for similar reasons, or was it simply progress in manufacturing ?

regards Kev

Mmmmm!! Very nice old pal. :)
I see its a straight 'A' variant unmodified judging by the lack of a * mark. Has the dots prior to the ELAZ stamps which tell me its for cold-weather use.

Good to see plastic clocks nicely stamped. Its deffo a nice pickup,well done!

cheers

waff

Cheers Mate:smile:

The thing i like is that the plastic case isnt shattered which is nice.
Bold stampings which must pre date 17a*.

Best phil, PS nice 2L:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Nice varient Phil. This is a new one to me - do you know how long they were in production before they changed back to the ally clock cases?

Also I know there was a plastic version of the Zus 40 - preceeding the zinc version. Were the plastic version of these changed for similar reasons, or was it simply progress in manufacturing ?

regards Kev
Thanks Kev.

Not to sure about how long it was used for but like the Zus 40 in plastic i think at first it was an economy measure which was prone to failure,thus costing not only the items made but also the bombs failure to work.

There was the 1940 pattern ally bodied fuse which went into production in 1940 then i suspect the steel bottomed version known as the Emergency pattern which also came in around 1940,then this one in 1941 and after that the 17a*

There was a lot of variants in a short space of time.

Best phil

Another parcel arrived from germany with a reasonable
17A 1940 pattern all ally body with the plastic lower inner clock case.

These were not used for that long as the plastic cases were prone for splitting up and there for jamming the clocks,so they reverted back to
ally inner cases.

This example has a bit of a pitted top but nice enough body and is marked

ELAZ 17A bmv 1941.

Very nice Phil, have you unscrewed it yet?
Dave.

Very nice Phil, have you unscrewed it yet?
Dave.

Hi Dave Thanks

This is where the trouble starts,as i dont think it will come apart to easy,as the ally threads are a bit glued up,and there is a risk that the plastic inner clock case will crumble.

might soak it over a period of time and just see if it will co operate.

Best phil

Hi Dave Thanks

This is where the trouble starts,as i dont think it will come apart to easy,as the ally threads are a bit glued up,and there is a risk that the plastic inner clock case will crumble.

might soak it over a period of time and just see if it will co operate.

Best phil

Good luck Phil!
Dave.

yep I can confirm that the change to 17 (A)* was somewhen between end of 41 and beginning of 42

I have a 17 (A)* which top side is marked El A Z 17 (A)* bp 1942 8b and side mark is bmv 1942* 3c.
The plastic clock case is also marked 8b

So I think the fuzes have been completed from parts delivered by different manufacturers at one main mounting factory and therefore we have different lot numbers (8b and 3c) and different manufacturers (bp, bmv)

Can you confirm that you have also different marks on your fuze?

regards
nudelmannrichter

Last edited:
here some pics

the single clockwork beneath on the first two pics is of the type which is inside the plastic case.

Attachments

• elaz17a_1.jpg
    elaz17a_1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 41
  • elaz17a_2.jpg
    elaz17a_2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 45
  • elaz17a_3.jpg
    elaz17a_3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 40
  • elaz17a_4.jpg
    elaz17a_4.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
  • elaz17a_5.jpg
    elaz17a_5.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi Yes the bottom of the clock case is 26b and the fuse cap is 5d.

As you say the later the fuse the more mis matched numbers appear,as i have RHS 1940 17 and 17As and they all have matching components.

Interesting thank you

best phil

regards
nudelmannrichter[/QUOTE]