What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of you who are curious about the current value of marked M67's

Definetly not a repaint. This is a relatively early one(dated 1-71). This is before they transitioned to the rougher textured paint which helped reduce the shine and improve grip. The early ones had this smooth finish. I have an 8-70 dated example that's the same way. It's actually a very desirable variation. Too bad the jungle clip is missing, but still a rare offering.

Dave has a big collection he is disbanding. Some nice VC grenades that'll likely go outa sight also.
Don't know about the M67 though.
$500, first bid, Reserve Not Met.
Gonna have to ride the pine on this one.
vomit-smiley-004.gif

Definetly not a repaint. This is a relatively early one(dated 1-71). This is before they transitioned to the rougher textured paint which helped reduce the shine and improve grip. The early ones had this smooth finish. I have an 8-70 dated example that's the same way. It's actually a very desirable variation. Too bad the jungle clip is missing, but still a rare offering.

Well there is a jungle clip in the last photo but it will not work on that fuze.

alternative collecting

This is my M67 example. I got it in trade along with a near mint M69. It's difficult to say what I have in it as I gave up 2 nicer WW1 grenades to get them (thanx Mark). Anyway it is a "decent" M67 example with an M213 fuze and I love it. Best of all I don't have to worry if some "shyster" added the stenciling later because there is none. Stenciling is easy to do and I could stencil this one but I prefer to leave it be. It displays proudly next to the M69's. Anyway my point is if one is willing to compromise a bit on the quality one may be able to obtain some good pieces for the collection....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 42
Well there is a jungle clip in the last photo but it will not work on that fuze.

I saw that clip in the pic but like you said, it's not the correct type for that early M213(his is 12-70 dated) which has no integrated slot on the fuze head for it. I have absolutely no doubt as to the originality of the grenade, paint, markings and fuze. Some may be suspicious because it's a seldom seen early type but trust me, it's correct.

I saw that clip in the pic but like you said, it's not the correct type for that early M213(his is 12-70 dated) which has no integrated slot on the fuze head for it. I have absolutely no doubt as to the originality of the grenade, paint, markings and fuze. Some may be suspicious because it's a seldom seen early type but trust me, it's correct.
Not to be arguementative but I would have to disagree. first of all the incorrect jungle clip and can throws up 2 "red flags". A close study of the stencil and can't quite put my finger on it but it just don't look right especially right where the "71" date is. Now I realize I can't afford to play in the "big leagues" but if I did I would definately take a pass on this one. It's good, but I am very suspicious to originality. No offense to anyone.....Dano

Not to be arguementative but I would have to disagree. first of all the incorrect jungle clip and can throws up 2 "red flags". A close study of the stencil and can't quite put my finger on it but it just don't look right especially right where the "71" date is. Now I realize I can't afford to play in the "big leagues" but if I did I would definately take a pass on this one. It's good, but I am very suspicious to originality. No offense to anyone.....Dano

You are of course entitled to your opinion Dano and I will respect it. The incorrect jungle clip shouldn't throw up a red flag because they are available in the hundreds of thousands, unlike the original, larger ones. I also know the seller and he is totally on the ball, his collection is of the highest quality. The markings are totally original and the area on the "71" to which you are referring is simply a slippage mark which occured at the time of application. These slippage marks were more prevalent on Lemons and early M67's like this one due to their smooth finish. It made marking applications a bit more slippery. I would bet a marked M67 from my collection that this example is legit. Why? Because I am that sure, and I can always use a spare!

You are of course entitled to your opinion Dano and I will respect it. The incorrect jungle clip shouldn't throw up a red flag because they are available in the hundreds of thousands, unlike the original, larger ones. I also know the seller and he is totally on the ball, his collection is of the highest quality. The markings are totally original and the area on the "71" to which you are referring is simply a slippage mark which occured at the time of application. These slippage marks were more prevalent on Lemons and early M67's like this one due to their smooth finish. It made marking applications a bit more slippery. I would bet a marked M67 from my collection that this example is legit. Why? Because I am that sure, and I can always use a spare!
Okay Justin, I am convinced. Maybe I still have a "bad taste" from the one I got ripped off on. The guy I traded with is a hero and for reasons i'll not go into, I just don't think he "got it". For this and a few other reasons I decided to "back off" and not persue retribution from this individual. I have already said too much.....Dano

I'll have to agree with Justin as to the honesty of the seller and quality of goods. I caught on to him when his stuff first started to show up on GB.
I've made a couple of purchases from him and they're nothing but top shelf.
I've also bought another M67 (from another seller) with the same smooth finish though the stenciling on mine is a bit lighter.

Thanks for the back-up JG, much appreciated. Just to drive the issue home. I have here pics of two different M67's. the first pic is of the one at auction and the other is a different example from the same lot(part of one of the largest collections in the US) and as a result, they have the same date. Of course this other one does have the correct jungle clip. You can see striking similarities between them, even the subtle slippage marks. But there are also differences which prove they are not the same grenade.

Attachments

• 71 M67.jpg
    71 M67.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 76
  • 71 M67 2.jpg
    71 M67 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 78
My last post on this subject....Dano

Typical slippage marks. They didn't have to be perfect, it would have taken more time(slowed down production) and they were going to be blown up anyway. It was a time of war, a time in which form follows function.

Most VN Era M67's that I have examined have shown "sloppy" nomenclature markings to some extent. The attached photo shows an original '67 with typical uneven / smudged lettering.

I believe that the main problem with this auction is that close examination of the description and photos raise(s) more questions / suspicions then are answered.

Nothing against the auction grenade or seller, however I would have presented this grenade differently for premium bids. The storage container / packing and later style safety clip offer nothing as a sales feature and just give a potential bidder an understandable reason to be skeptical and begin looking for, or foreseeing other potential / unforeseen problems. Also from the description and photos given, it is not possible to determine if the fuze lever is of the proper era for the body without further investigation / correspondence. It only takes on red flag to chase bidders away from an item and or the seller without further interest.

Some high quality photos of the grenade on a neutral / blank background, along with photos of the fuze lever nomenclature would be the best tactic. I always try to include 8 - 10 total photos of an item from many angles and macro setting to tell the true story on condition and let the item sell itself (Or not).

Again nothing against the grenade or seller, just that a first class presentation is in order when auctioning a premium piece for a premium dollar.

Attachments

• M67 001.jpg
    M67 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 42
Most VN Era M67's that I have examined have shown "sloppy" nomenclature markings to some extent. The attached photo shows an original '67 with typical uneven / smudged lettering.

I believe that the main problem with this auction is that close examination of the description and photos raise(s) more questions / suspicions then are answered.

Nothing against the auction grenade or seller, however I would have presented this grenade differently for premium bids. The storage container / packing and later style safety clip offer nothing as a sales feature and just give a potential bidder an understandable reason to be skeptical and begin looking for, or foreseeing other potential / unforeseen problems. Also from the description and photos given, it is not possible to determine if the fuze lever is of the proper era for the body without further investigation / correspondence. It only takes on red flag to chase bidders away from an item and or the seller without further interest.

Some high quality photos of the grenade on a neutral / blank background, along with photos of the fuze lever nomenclature would be the best tactic. I always try to include 8 - 10 total photos of an item from many angles and macro setting to tell the true story on condition and let the item sell itself (Or not).

Again nothing against the grenade or seller, just that a first class presentation is in order when auctioning a premium piece for a premium dollar.
Smudging in your photograph is uniform and runs in same direction instead of opposite paths as other photograph. Yeah i'll buy that.........Dano

I see what you are saying Frank. I have a couple more pics of it from correspondence with him a little while back.

All I am talking about is the originality of the grenade and fuze. I don't know why he would put the incorrect style safety clip in the pic. The fuze is a correct early type without the integrated clip slot and while not a good pic, its enough for me to see that it's a 12-70 dated M213.

As for the incorrect can, I bought the grenade that matched this can(LS-56-641) a while back, he just didn't include it and I didn't even know he had it until recently. Im sure he thinks including an M67 can of any kind is better than not, especially at the asking price.

Attachments

• 71 M67 3.jpg
    71 M67 3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 71 M67 Spoon.jpg
    71 M67 Spoon.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Frank, regardless of the description and the additional items that are included in the pics, would you agree that the grenade itself(I mean the body, paint finish, markings and fuze with rubber washer and steel retainer) are correct?

Hello Justin,

Will hold originally comments here either way, for no specific reason(s) except that it is always safer bet (for me) to give none :tinysmile_twink_t2:!

Again I want to make it clear that I am not / was not challenging the grenade or seller (or anyone posting on this thread). Just to earlier comment were confusion and suspicion on the originality of any premium piece can originate from a brief description / non-period accessories and the quality of photos in an auction. I hope the seller does well and am interested to see the final price.