What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German MG08 Equipment WW1

sled08MkIII76.jpg

One of the sleds. There are 3 patterns as far as my studies have determined (excluding the Reichswehr adaption) and all that I have seen are WWI dated. I am still looking for hard proof though that all 3 patterns saw wartime service, as some very eminent collectors believe only one pattern was truly German......and they could well be right. Primarily because all period photos show the first pattern. Any advice welcome.
Mark

DSC09223.jpg

The MG sights are relatively common and the variety of patterns quite high. Possibly there are collectors oyt there who just collect these alone. I am still looking for certain types though but sadly these things are not reducing in price!
Mark

Muz (1).jpgMuz (19).JPG

Even the MG08 muzzle assembly comes in 2 patterns. The slightly shorter cone version is still all Imperial German stamped and is not an armourer conversion. ie it is factory produced. The only reason I can determine is that it does allow the folding of the sled legs much more easily, ie from the flat firing posn into the 'carriage' position.

SKLDPMG08 (20).jpg