What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade photos

Here are a couple more photos. First a nice drill No. 82 and 77, followed by another No. 82. On this 82 the markings are a bit different. Noting that this is from a US collection, is it possible that it is one of the US issued ones? I know that many of you track the miniscule differences in UK makers, do you recognize the markings?

No 82 I.jpgNo. 77 I.jpg No 82 1.jpgNo 82 3.jpgNo 82 2.jpg

Jeff,

You are certainly turning up some nice photographs. The Drill No 82 is particularly nice to see. By the look of it the cup on the other No 82 is not of standard dimensions for British manufacture (which are like the Drill version). There were other British designs but, unless the photograph is misleading, I don't recognise it as any of those either. In British service RY would typically mean Risley (Royal Ordnance Factory) and NEQ will be familiar to you but unusual to find on a WW2 munition surely (unless it is a post-war addition for the display room).

Great pictures Jeff, thanks for showing these, i think the gammon is a Mk2 as the sock looks like is has the protective coating on it,,,, Dave

Sorry Pete, not looking good for a No. 29. Instead I offer you the UK No. 70I, a fine example of British engineering (?), and a US experimental - looks like six stacks of nickels around a central charge.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg

Jeff,

Despite the cast marking 70 I, the No 70 looks like just an ordinary Mk II to me; that would be ordinary as in "first pattern, experimental, in trials livery, rare as hens-teeth, ordinary".

Thanks Norman. So what would the full and correct nomenclature be?

Thanks Norman. So what would the full and correct nomenclature be?

The full and correct Service nomenclature would be:
Grenade, Hand, No 70, Mk 2 /L/
although it will be seen written as:
Grenade, Hand, Anti-Personnel, No 70 Mark II /L/

The nomenclature for the No 70 Mk 2 was not promulgated until October 1946 hence the arabic numerals for the mark number but the design (of the Mark I) goes back to 1940 when the No 69, No 70 and No 71 were drawn up.

The Mk I was only an experimental model and its defects (mainly to do with fragmentation) were rectified in the Mk II design in about 1943. The MkII was trialled with troops in the Far East and probably was in-Service in small numbers before the 'introduction' in Lists of Changes in 1946. The model in your photograph is likely from Ordnance Board trials in 1944. I don't have the actual trials report but a nomenclature for it in trials livery would typically be:

Grenade, Hand, No 70 OB Reqn 8124

hope that is helpful.

Last edited:
Jeff,

Despite the cast marking 70 I, the No 70 looks like just an ordinary Mk II to me; that would be ordinary as in "first pattern, experimental, in trials livery, rare as hens-teeth, ordinary".

Just a point on the Mk I, Mk II differences; in the Mk I the 247 fuze screws straight into the body. In the Mk II the fuze screws into a fuze adaptor. Hope the diagram below is sufficient to show the difference. Mk I on the left, Mk II on the right.

View attachment No 70.pdf

Here is one identified as Austro-Hungarian(?) and a couple of exceptional Italian Breda grenades.

AH-1.jpgAH-2.jpg Breda 1a.jpgBreda 1b.jpg Breda 2a.jpgBreda 2b.jpgBreda 2c.jpgBreda 2d.jpg

US issue Ball Float

A couple of variations on the M67(?). I have no idea what "ball float" means - anyone?

View attachment 59920View attachment 59921

I believe the Ball Float w/o fuze was made for use in US Government issue toilets as a ball float for optimal water tank filling level adjustments. Experimental of course. Developed for use in conjunction with the "trip lever" to help flush the "big bombs"

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Probably as good an answer as I'm going to get....

I promised in another thread to try and do the T-13s this weekend - this is going to take a couple of posts. I'll start with the rifle grenade adapter.

T-13 RGA-1.jpgT-13 RGA-2.jpgT-13 RGA-3.jpgT-13 RGA-4.jpg T-13 RGA-5.jpgT-13 RGA-6.jpgT-13 RGA-7.jpgT-13 RGA-8.jpg