What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade photos

An earlier T-5 fuze, rather than the more common T-5E3.

Fuze 1.jpgICE-AB2-99-6.jpg

The only Beano I've ever seen in practice/inert markings and paint.

T-13 inert 1.jpgT-13 inert 2.jpgT-13 inert 3.jpg

all very interesting and rare items, I like them all, especially the practice and gammon? type....thanks for showing these. Is the projection adapter marked T4? ......I wonder if it worked well... seems you would pull both safety pins out, one from grenade fuze, and other from projector, and the inertia from firing it would cause the retaining metal clip to move rearward, and letting the metal strap going over the fuze to come off enabling the butterfly of the beano fuze to come off... pull the string and pin out.... and activate the allways fuze.....is this right?

Sounds reasonable, but all I have is the photos, so until I find one to play with and put on a shelf it's just best guess. Rick have you got one yet?

BeanoIIfuzefor.jpgBeanoFuzeT5E2.jpgBeanos NRDC Report.jpg

A couple of Beano fuze diagrams from an NRDC report. The British SOE had an interest in the Beano and a number were shipped here for evaluation.

I see in the photo there are examples of both fuze tops, the straight line and the cross-thatch. Nice.

British experimental

Experimental.jpg

Tripped over this old photo whilst corresponding with a member this evening. Mostly British oddities with a few US and european items sharing the space.

Some very nice pieces. The million dollar question, where are they all now?

A few Marten Hale grenades for those who like old rifle grenades.

Tom.

Attachments

• Hale grenades.jpg
    Hale grenades.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 56
Bonnex,

NRDC? [...]
Thanks

TimG

Sorry Tim that should have read NDRC for National Defense Research Committee. OSS (and SOE) device development came under their management at some stage.

I have seen this picture many years ago and i'm still in ore of whats in that cabinet, Vicory, Stuart, Mills, Humpreys, Roland, Harris, Hales to name but a few of the Manufactures and inventors, what a display,,,,,,, Dave

Thats Bonnex's picture not Snufkin's

Last edited:
A few Marten Hale grenades for those who like old rifle grenades.

Tom.

Tom Do you know what the items are 3rd in at bottom left and right, fantastic picture, some years back Darryl Lynn had a section on his web site of Hales showing his grenades to the Germans just before WW1, i wonder what ever happened to that photo album..... Dave

Dave,

I think they might be Hales illuminating grenades but I cannot be sure.

Dave,

I think they might be Hales illuminating grenades but I cannot be sure.

WOW, i worked on the farm at Eastchurch so much History there, only thing i found was a .303 bullet, i also got into the short brothers drawing room, the mahogany wood panels were still on the walls but no roof

Tom Do you know what the items are 3rd in at bottom left and right, fantastic picture, some years back Darryl Lynn had a section on his web site of Hales showing his grenades to the Germans just before WW1, i wonder what ever happened to that photo album..... Dave

Dave,

I don't recognize those items, but I suspect Norman has answered the question.

Though more of a people shot, Marten Hale appears extreme right in the attached, with one of his creations. It might appeal to anyone living near Faversham...

Tom.

Attachments

• Birth of rifle grenade.jpg
    Birth of rifle grenade.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 32
Perhaps the idea of a small cannon or musket launched grenade came much earlier than Hale's models. The Russo-Japanese War of 1904-5 is credited by some with providing the precursors of models such as the British No.1 and No.2.

The attached photos were taken at Matsumoto castle, Nagano, Japan. I was unable to read the purely Japanese labelling, but the three cannon/musket launched devices were in a display of 17th-18th century weapons, while the ceramic hand grenade was in a display of 19th century lead musket-type shot.

(Projectile dimensions are in the range 25-30 cm tip to tail.)

Tom.

Attachments

• IMGP7982.jpg
    IMGP7982.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP7980.jpg
    IMGP7980.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP7979.jpg
    IMGP7979.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP8015.jpg