What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haggis ~ I made it Myself

Gspragge

Premium Member
My first try. Couldn't find the required sheep tummy so I did this and it worked well. Wrapped in heavy foil on a low stand in a dish in the oven which I kept full of water. Cooked for a long time on low heat. Split the batch into two slightly different versions for taste testing. One must have gotten a little hot and developed a lovely crisp skin (oats & bran). It was not difficult to make actually.
It is very expensive to buy so I think I will keep working on it. Just a matter of paying attention to actual measurements (like it matters with this) and improving my spicing, which I think means more pepper. I was able to buy Sheep's Pluck in a package which had everything, I just added a little beef heart.

Of course for breakfast it gets fried in butter ~ Healthy Stuff indeed ~

Attachments

• IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 58
Where on earth did you get a haggis from at this time of the year? Its out of hunting season in Scotland!

Looks Tasty,

Here is an interesting article on Haggis

www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~s0681349/Haggis.pdf

A few years ago we took one week trip around Scotland and I had Haggis near every night because I like it. As a foreigner, after they asked how did I like it and I told I love it I always got a couple of Whiskies on the house.
Could someone provide me a recipe to make Haggis as I would like to try it.
In exchange I can provide recipe to make Elk nose jelly which I like, too. ( No joke - my wife loves it as well )

We dont have much Elks overhere in holland, so we may try to change the recept into Pigs noses. Ben you have to keep the noses of the wild pigs you shoot during hunting :). ive once eaten fried pig ears too, and in mexico, i had boiled cow skull, in down south US, fried alligator, and in Texas some roasted snake. so Haggis doesn't look to strange anymore. Will stop when they serve my the private parts of the animal, i dont think i can handle that.

Here you see raw marerial and ready product of Elk nose jelly.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 66
Good lord, i like the end product better than the input. Next year i will be visiting Finland, i cant wait to give it to my collegues, what's the Finnish name for it?

Finnish name for the end product is "Hirventurpasyltty". But honestly you can't buy it here anywhere, it's all home made and I'm pretty sure our dear EU has some regulations to prohibit it from commercial sale. When I joined the local elk hunting group last year I was the first one to collect the noses since more than 10 years. After I served some test pieces to the group there now is a big fight who can get the noses.

Elk nose jelly?Finished product looks like what in the US is called headcheese, which is not as common as it used to be. Made up of bits and pieces of head of cow(posibly pigs, too) and placed in gelatine with spices.It's popularity sagged in the 1930's, when it was published the the big meat packers used pieces of cow fetus to make the stuff the sold.

Nice looking home made hagis Gordon looks really tasty, i love haggis and that Elk nose jelly looks like something i would to try as well. Dam feeling hungry now maybe some black pudding will satisfy my blood lust, uncooked of course cant stand it when its fried.
Best Weasel.

Reino, old nose collector, I'm rather apalled by these nutritional habits in Finland.
No doubt, Hirventurpasyltty sounds better than elk nose jelly, but the pictures shown ... 714.gif ... unbelievable.

I'm with Ben in this question; but nevertheless, enjoy your meal, gentlemen!

Can anyone tell me the largest calibre porridge gun used for haggis hunting,and is it true that haggis hounds have short legs on one side so they can chase haggis round the side of hills,,,,,,
Don,

Love Haggis, don't really want to know what's in it though. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a nose or two......
Hangarman

Last edited:
Haggis is fantastic! I love it! Very cheap over here, but would love to have a go at making my own, with loads of sliced hot chillies inside. Do you have the recipe you used?
Cheers,
Rob

Nice looking home made hagis Gordon looks really tasty, i love haggis and that Elk nose jelly looks like something i would to try as well. Dam feeling hungry now maybe some black pudding will satisfy my blood lust, uncooked of course cant stand it when its fried.
Best Weasel.

It inspired me Weasel ,for dinner tonight i had a plate of pan fried black pudding topped with two fried eggs,,,as for the "elk nose Jelly" sorry but the name puts me off on that one ,,i just picture a moose with a running snotty nose,,rename it and ill try it.

Can anyone tell me the largest calibre porridge gun used for haggis hunting,and is it true that haggis hounds have short legs on one side so they can chase haggis round the side of hills,,,,,,
Don,

Havn't seen a porridge gun, ever. I don't believe they exist, I think they are one of those Rural Myths you hear about, strange though that you can buy the ammunition for them at Tesco. Yes it is true about the legs being longer on one side of its body than the other. This is so that it doesn't fall over when it stands on the side of a mountain. It also restricts ease of movement because they can't turn around without falling off the mountain. The Male Haggis has its offside legs longer than it's nearside legs and the female ones are the other way round. This means that they can only mate once every half orbit of a mountain.