What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haggis ~ I made it Myself

Yeah WHATEVER! Porridge gun ammo in tesco! You can only get the inert packets of rolled oats from the Rat Packs direct from NATO. Tesco porridge just doesn't have the punch...and the trajectory isn't right.

It inspired me Weasel ,for dinner tonight i had a plate of pan fried black pudding topped with two fried eggs,,,as for the "elk nose Jelly" sorry but the name puts me off on that one ,,i just picture a moose with a running snotty nose,,rename it and ill try it.

Now your talking!!!!

I'm doing some pig tails tonight--- how ever the Haggis was easy;
I was fortunate in that a store over here sells "Lamb Pluck" it contained a heart, liver,kidneys & lungs which is everything you need. I also added some beef heart. I precooked the meat for an hour or so (2). I had the lungs in with it so I did not keep the liquid. ( the lungs were small and next time I will boil them by them selves - bigger ones have the wind pipe (sheep) which you hang over the pot to drain while it cooks.) I pressure cooked some oxtail & heart to add to it and for stock which you also use in it. After cooking everything I simply ground it all up finely. Into this you mix the oatmeal which you toast ( I didn't do this properly) and spices, I think mostly regular pepper ( a bit of salt), but there are a lot of different recipes out there. I also added a bag of suet and four ground onions. I mixed this all up. I buggered around with sausage casing - don't bother it will burst. I put half of it into heavy tinfoil and folded up the ends and top. I put it in a pan in the oven, kept water in the pan and cooked for some hours at low heat. The secound lot with more pepper I put on a low stand so water was under it. I think if you can find or substitute similar ingredients you can alter it to your own preference. Some add a bit of Scotch, I didn't have any. The internet will give a lot of variations and measurements. I sort of went by eye -- and for a quick taste whle preparing it , simply fry a small amount then add further spices as needed.

We have lots of moose over here, I thin one nose would make a lot - how is it done ?

How about Elk Haggis -- you have everything you need except oatmeal & spices in a massive quantity ~

Last edited:
please can this stop, pigtails, hagis, elk ears, black pudding i am sorry, please... !!!

Ben,

This recipe i found on the net and sounds much better:

[h=1]Kapura Bakra Masala Recipe[/h]
This is a simple curried stir-fry damp curry made with testicles. You can use either lamb or goat testicles.Khasia Kapura or Kapoora refers to testicles. In United States, the lamb testicles are normally called 'lamb fry'. '"Rocky Mountain oysters' is a common name for bull testicles. Choose testicles from young lamb or baby goat (kid). Older the animal, more intense is the flavor.​
[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
1. Lamb Testicles: 1 Pound3. Ghee: cup4. Onions, Peeled finely chopped: 2 cups5. Garlic, peeled crushed: 3 Cloves6. Ginger, peeled chopped fine: 1"x1"7. Serrano, white pith removed to reduce heat, chopped: 28. Turmeric powder: teaspoon9. Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon10. Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon11. Cayenne ground: teaspoon12. Black pepper ground: teaspoon13 Salt: teaspoon14. Water: 2 Tablespoon15. Juice of half fresh lime​
[h=2]Method[/h]
1. Wash testicles. Cut each testicle along the middle in half. Peel off the skin and discard it. Cut each half length-wise to result in two oval shape slices. Now, you have peeled each testicle and cut into 4 oval shaved slices. Soak sliced testicles in cold salted water (4 cups of water with 2 Tablespoon of salt) for about one hour. This will help remove blood. Drain and wash in clean water. Pat dry with paper towel.2. Heat Ghee in a frying pan3. Add onions. Fry till edges turn brown. 5 minutes4. Add Garlic, Ginger and Serrano. Stir. Fry about one minute5. Add Turmeric powder, Coriander, Cumin, Cayenne, Black pepper, and Salt. Fry one minute6. Add sliced testicles. Stir and fry till testicles have changed color.8. Add water. Stir. Cook covered about 5 to 8 minutes for desired consistency9. Stir in Lime juice. Shut off heat​

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez The Kees you are so close to getting issued an infraction for your recipe even a life time ban....just reading the recipe made my toes curl and my head go dizzy :frown:

Kees, we must have a talk next week when you come to my place, i think we have to put you away for a long time. please make it stop.

Sorry to all you people in the northern hemisphere but I'm with Ben on this issue as down here in Australia I have always found enough good meat that is between the nose and the bum that there is no need to experiment with things like Elk nose jelly! And does anyone else wonder just how desperate the person was who first came up with some of these really werid concoctions ??? I also note that Spotter may ban some of the more dangerous recipes that may be placed on this forum Well done Alan ! you and Ben are most welcome to come to OZ and have a BBQ at my place [ real meat only ] . As my Dad used to say he loves cow's there deliicous

Sorry to all you people in the northern hemisphere but I'm with Ben on this issue as down here in Australia I have always found enough good meat that is between the nose and the bum that there is no need to experiment with things like Elk nose jelly! And does anyone else wonder just how desperate the person was who first came up with some of these really werid concoctions ??? I also note that Spotter may ban some of the more dangerous recipes that may be placed on this forum Well done Alan ! you and Ben are most welcome to come to OZ and have a BBQ at my place [ real meat only ] . As my Dad used to say he loves cow's there deliicous

And this from an Oz where the natives eat very large maggots!:bigsmile:

Cheers
Tony

As some members here seem to have weak stomage I don't post my recipe here but will PM it to Gspragge. We shot today 2 big elks and have now plenty of raw material for haggis.

I feel sick i am sorry, i do not like this....O jee it's getting even worse, please can this stop..... pigtails, haggis, elk ears, black pudding i am sorry, please... !!! Ben

Reino, old nose collector, I'm rather appalled by these nutritional habits in Finland.
No doubt, Hirventurpasyltty sounds better than elk nose jelly, but the pictures shown .... unbelievable.
I'm with Ben in this question; but nevertheless, enjoy your meal, gentlemen!

:dito: I'm with Ben and Peter on this one (Ben...I think you meant to say elk "noses")
attachment.php
:puke:

1. Wash testicles.
good advice... we should all do this quite thoroughly :bath:

.....and now added to this homemade haggis thread is Lamb fry/Rocky Mountain oysters, what next? Here... lets add tasty tarantulas from Cambodia....mmmmm, delicious .......personally I'll stick to a nice Filet Mignon, porterhouse steak, prime rib or a Lobster tail (my favorite food)..... although as mentioned, here in the Southern US we eat Alligator tail meat (usually deep fried) it's really very tasty, also snake meat is very good...and both look somewhat like Chicken meat. I've eaten buffalo, elk, deer, bear, and they are all very good, but it was the meat of the animal, usually the backstrap, not the internal organs or "pluck"....although I do like beef and chicken livers very much.
One of main things with food, at least to me, is it has to "look" palatable....I'm sorry but haggis, and elk noses in jelly "Hirventurpasyltty" does not look too appetizing, and Lamb fry/Rocky Mountain oysters, just knowing you're eating testicles is not very appetizing either...and eating insects.....No thanks...only in extreme survival situations.
But each person and culture has their own favorite foods.... so Bon Apptit everyone!

Attachments

• Bull balls.jpg
    Bull balls.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 25
  • a-Tarantulas.jpg
    a-Tarantulas.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 25
We tend to forget that most of the people in he world do not go to the local supermarket and get their food, all grown caught, killed, harvested and even prepared. The rest have to really work for the food they eat. that means anything they can catch and then everything on it that is digestible.The old addage that you every part of the pig except the squeal applies.The poorer the area, the wider the net, considering the envirionment. People in the Artic don't have much choices.The same applies to weapons.You use what you can make or, today, buy.Humans are very adaptable, especially when it comes to eating, brewing or knocking eachother off.

Highlandotter, you are right there. And when our banks etc are keep acting this way with our savings, economics, retirements etc, we have to be aware of this. We might to have adapt this alternate food soon.

Hey aren't you the guys who invented "throw the Lizard on the Barbee"

Hey aren't you the guys who invented "throw the Lizard on the Barbee"

I hate to say that the Aussies like their lizards frilled not grilled!

Now how about Mountain Oysters! They are a delicacy in the back country in the South Island of New Zealand. Mountain Oysters are of course lambs balls!

Then when I was in Vanuatu I used to eat rat and cicadas, then in Tonga I used to eat dog and horse, not to mention the other things that I've eaten elsewhere.

The last time I was up at 25thapril's place I didn't see any roos close by. Maybe something happened to them. Anyway you don't even have to shoot them here, all you have to do is pick them up off the road. Already tenderised!