What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haggis ~ I made it Myself

Pig Tails

They come in a box of about 25-30 or buy less depending on where. All clean and ready to go. This time I bought 9, all that would fit into the pressure cooker.
Trim off any excess fat that is visible.
Mix equal amounts of your favourite BBQ sauce and ketchup + one table spoon of brown suger. I used teacups for measuring - coffee mugs would work as well. ( a good sweet honey garlic sauce might also work well but I haven't tried that yet )
Put Tails in pressure cooker and pour in BBQ sauce and ketchup over them, add water just to cover and cook for 1/2 hour - 45 minutes, you want them cooked but not to the point of falling apart.

remove tails and place in a baking pan.
take liquid and boil it down to a thicker state. Let cool abit and remove all of the separated fat.
Pour in remaining liquid over tails and place them in an oven on low heat and roast for half an hour or so. Keep covered in sauce as is possible, exposed areas will dry out and be tough so don't burn them.

Remove and let cool, remove any more fat on the surface, easy when cool and solid.
These are better the next day, if you can wait. Serve warmed up too hot.

They are Very rich, similar to ribs but deadlier and if I ate all four of them in the image I would likely die and my veins would be like (if not already) a garden hose.

There is usually extra sauce, it is like a baked bean sauce and is very good over potatoes and could be used I think to advantage on other things. (Beans & Tails might be to dangerous to combine)

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks Gspragge,
Will be off to the local butcher tomorrow to see if i can get so pigs tails they look great. My arteries are pretty well silted up i reckon so a little more won't hurt, thank you for the recipe.
Best Weasel.

It is amazing what a variety of delicacies there is available on offer all over the world,each has its own merits,I myself liked roast beef and yourshire pud but do you know what the real bummer is,I am on a low fat diet (due to a malfuction in the gall bladder department)and cant have it,GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
Don,

Haggis pizza

I made some more , and when faced with a Vegetarian Pizza there was only one thing to do ~

HAGGIS PIZZA

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 19
ive put it on pizza before its a great combination,,,black pudding is good as a pizza topping as well

mmmmmmmmm just noticed anchovie on the crust :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Do we have here any member who could send me some Haggis? Some years ago I made a tour around Scotland and had Haggis practically each night enjoying it a lot. Naturally I'll cover all costs involved and/or can send some home made air dried Elk meat in exchange.

I shall endeavor to find some for you. I don't go out on the hills much and I don't have a shotgun or traps but I'll take my cat and you can have whatever he leaves after he catches one. I'll contact you through PM when I have something for you.

On a similar vein to Mountain Oysters,A visitor to Spain sat eating his food in a restaurant when he noticed a fellow at the next table served with two large object which he began to consume with relish,he asked the waiter to explain and was told that they were the testicles of a bull defeated by a matador,he asked if he could enjoy such a delicacy and was told he would be first on the list for the next day,next day he duly arrived and prepared to enjoy his treat,the waiter arrived with his meal which turned out to be two rather small "mountain oysters"about the size of small plums,he pointed out to the waiter the difference between what he saw the previous day and what was on his plate,the waiter replied,"senior,,,it is not always the bull that loses the fight"

It had to be done ~

Haggis Poutine ~

French Fries, with re-fried Haggis on top, Cheese (proper cheese is the cheese curds, or really good cheese, stilton might be smashing) curds or other cheese on top, Gravy over all ~

This is not a health food.

I didn't have really good cheese on hand, so this example could be improved.

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 21
Do we have here any member who could send me some Haggis? Some years ago I made a tour around Scotland and had Haggis practically each night enjoying it a lot. Naturally I'll cover all costs involved and/or can send some home made air dried Elk meat in exchange.

Tmine. I was able to convince the cat to go hunting with me at the weekend and I managed to pry one out of his claws before he ate it all. I tried to hide the teeth marks but I gave up in the end. Just cut those bits out.

I was just watching Tv and saw a program on Costco company. They had a clip from a UK Costco store showing they stocked haggis and mentioned you can't get it in US stores. Our loss as loyal Costco buyers, but a boon for those in the UK looking to bag one. Bon Appetite!

Here is a Norwegian delicacy. Cooked sheep head (Smalahode). Is it necessary to say that you have to consume a lot of alcohol to eat this?!!?

/Freaky

Sauhau.jpg

I don't mind looking at my dinner but I don't want my dinner looking back at me!