What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 45mm Brixia mortar bomb

enemy0044.JPG

Cheers Mad B)

ciao
here can see the mortar firing.
forward up to 5min and 50sec.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyJEKEZgPs[/ame]

Thanks all that video was great and mads picture and the vid explained it all, what a alot of mucking about to fire such a small projectile.

ciao daz
i can't translate "alot of mucking........"
but may be I understand what you mean...... the mortar was a big sheet........ sure, was like throw a hand grenade up to 500m, very ineffective, not useful...

Brixia

Do you know any difference between the mod35 and mod39?
Anyway have you got pic about the starting patron?

Brixia mortar

Here a picture of the mortar in Army museum, Athens.
Reino

Attachments

• Brixia.jpg
    Brixia.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 90
Mod 35 Vs. 39

Do you know any difference between the mod35 and mod39?
Anyway have you got pic about the starting patron?

Hi all:
Model 35 was shorter than the Model 39 and was mostly used in the Spanish Civil War. It is a very common find for the diggers here. SEE POST #49.
Miguel A.J.

Last edited:
Got one of these today it has some different tail stampings to those previously shown,unfotunately the date stamp last number is missing

Attachments

• 1brixiaDSC00022.jpg
    1brixiaDSC00022.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1brixiaDSC00030.jpg
    1brixiaDSC00030.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 74
Are these the same thing as those describeded as Breda types
Maybe it was I dont know, but I have attached a photo of the Breda M/35 also known as "Red Devil". I believe the M/35 Breda, M/35 SRCM and the M/35 OTO could be refered to as the Breda types. They are very similar.

Attachments

• Handgrenade_M35_BREDA.jpg
    Handgrenade_M35_BREDA.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
according to OP 1668 the training version of these mortars were yellow with unpainted aluminum tails. Does anyone have one of these?

Joe

Never seen the mortar in yellow, but that is the color that they use for the practice grenades.

That is not right, the only Red Devil in yellow was the SCRM, (also known as Romana; from SoCieta RoMana), smoke practice. The Brixia mortars for practice were painted with a white band, never seen one in yellow from WWII. There were three types of each grenade, the yellow SCRM is the only with smoke, black dummy, white for practice and red for combat. I love these grenades, but they are extremelly difficult to find in nice condition and complet. They were used in the Spanish Civil War, not the large Oto, for this I have some of them from Army. One of our Italian friends sent me some time ago the pages of an original Italian Manual, they are a treasure.

Attachments

• Gr Italy 1.jpg
    Gr Italy 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Gr Italy 2.jpg
    Gr Italy 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Gr Italy 3.jpg
    Gr Italy 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
  • Italy 1.jpg
    Italy 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Italy 2.jpg
    Italy 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Italy 3.jpg
    Italy 3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thanks for the responce .. funny how the old publications can be wrong. This will be good information to put out to the EOD field since they work off the old publications some times. I am showing pictures from the Aberdeen Ordnance Museum of the cartridge and gun system.

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-461-9.jpg
    ICE-JV-461-9.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ICE-JV-461-10.jpg
    ICE-JV-461-10.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ICE-JV-460-29.jpg
    ICE-JV-460-29.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 80
  • ICE-JV-460-30.jpg
    ICE-JV-460-30.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 74
Hello

As I read this post, I see that you have spoken of a grenade Brixia "practice" in yellow but you have not found images.

During the SCW Mussolini sent the Army "national" these BRIXIA practices like the attached photo. The body is painted yellow and black fins.

best regards

Attachments

• Dibujo.JPG
    Dibujo.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited: