What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 45mm Brixia mortar bomb

according to OP 1668 the training version of these mortars were yellow with unpainted aluminum tails. Does anyone have one of these?

Joe

Well, seems we have a mix here in my friends pic. Yellow body with black fins and yellow fins with black body. From where your pic is? And what is that OP1668, Joe?

OP 1668 is an old manual covering Italian ordnance from WWII. There were no pictures of the practice version.

It is interesting to see the yellow one. At least we see the publication is correct.

So we know there are 2 different training versions. A yellow one and one with a white stripe. I wonder if one had no explosive material and one with a spotting type charge.

Joe

Have you that manual? If the yellow ones were sent to Spain they have to be from the early 30s. The SCRM white had a small charge.

My photo is of an old ordnance website of the Spanish Civil War that closed a few years ago.

I think the grenade of the picture is in a Spanish museum.

They also say that when this photo appeared, some traders repainted yellow fins some brixia.
Notice to collectors!:tinysmile_twink_t:

Try to get photos

Best Regards

Last edited:
Possibly a little to add to this discussion. I read that the British captured so many of these weapons, that they gave them number designations, and printed field manuals for them. I didn't read everything closely, so sorry, if this has been mentioned. Also, there is currently a mortar for sale, on GB.

Today, after a long talk with my friend Manncarc we found a real conclussion: in post #30 I say that there are two models of Brixia: A short one and a larger one, well, I said this looking the mortars found here in Spain at the battlefields, this is not true: the standard Brixia is 132mm from base to top of fuze cover, the shorter ones found here were from SPANISH MANUFACTURE, the Blue, National, Fascist or Franco side, (as you want to call it), made their own projectiles, HERE the difference. More: As fert says in post #6 you can find one difference between some Brixias: the explosive contanier, (where the frag coil goes in); not the outter body, made of Brass or Aluminium. In Spain both containers can be found at battlefields, BUT none of the fins found with them are marked, no date nor model. All the Brixias I have seen or have in my collection had the fins marked always with mod39. My pal and myself found interesting to post this info for the rest of members, so here you have it. The brixia mortar is an easy to find item at fairs, but it has a larger and more interesting history than many people think.

Last edited:
Here is a bit different brixia from my collection. It was remade by "partizans" from mine in to a hand grenade.

Baldari

Attachments

• P1011034.jpg
    P1011034.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1011042.jpg
    P1011042.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 63
They had to remove all the top part for attach the Yugo fuze.

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3511.jpg
    IMG_3511.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 63
Id like to add one of these to my Yugo section, if you can find one let me know. I realize that they will be not easy to find, but...

Hello.
After talking with grenademan2005 on it here you have some photos on the Spanish copy of the Brixia Italian, Spanish known among collectors as "Brixia-Valls" or "Brixia-national. " The main difference with Italy is that the iron body is thicker, without having the container dock with shrapnel, the fuse is activated by simple percussion. They were delivered to soldiers load a plug of wood or zinc alloy. Valls name seems to be that they put the small aluminum fuse in the books of the army with this name, worst bit more I can say about it . It seems that they used in the last months of the SCW to avoid having to buy more units to the Italy of Mussolini.

If anyone needs more info, feel free to ask.

Best Regards

Attachments

• comparativa brixia-valls.JPG
    comparativa brixia-valls.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 53
  • comparativa brixia-valls1.jpg
    comparativa brixia-valls1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
  • comparativa brixia-valls2.JPG
    comparativa brixia-valls2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 60
  • interior valls..JPG