What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kugelmania

Pictured here are my four German WW1 kugel grenades. First is the m1915 kugel with m1915 zinc-alloy igniter, Second id the m1915 kugel that is partially blown and what was not blown out of the side it did try to seperate on the fragmentation lines. This one looks cool. Third is the m1913 German kugel with transit plug. And last is another m1915 kugel with the brass m1913 friction igniter. What is missing and needed is the transitional kugel that is a cross betwen the m1913 and m1915 kugel which I am aggressively trying to find one. The Kugel was heavy and cumbersome and not a favorite of the typical German soldier. All kugel igniters were also used on the m1917 German egg grenades....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 319.jpg
    Picture 319.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 109
Dano,

Nice display of variations. I have a kugel or two, but didn't know f the variations till now. In case you didn't know, kugel means ball in German.

Here's one type Dano. This is the one with the slightly wider middle band.

John

Attachments

• SSCN3059.JPG
    SSCN3059.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 58
good kugel

Beautiful Kugel grenade John, I really like that one. That would seem to be around the same time as the transitional model. Don't think i've seen one quite like that before. Thanks for showing....Dano

Dano

I think there are about three different types of the transitional - as you call it. The one I have pictured is probably the most like the normal 1913.

John

+++

The central grooves of these grenades were turned additionally. There are variants with 1 or 2 (often) turned grooves, or without (so called "transitional type").

Last edited:
Here's a couple more.

Attachments

• DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0116.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0118.jpg
    DSC_0118.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 57
Hi!
Beautiful kugels grenade :)
Last picture this is russian version of kugelhandgranate.
Im looking grenade of third foto...

Plus this (by the way the last one from the previous post is a "mystic" one - still not completely clear if this is German, or Austro-Hungarian; I doubt about Russian):

Attachments

• Kugel Hgr. - 1 central groove.jpg
    Kugel Hgr. - 1 central groove.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 31
Kugelmeister

The third Kugel pictured in US subs post is what I know as the transitional, in other words the in between 1913 and 1915 models. Nice line-up Jo...Dano

kugel a go go

Another thing that intrigues me about the "transitional kugal" in photo three of US subs post is the seam line 1/2 way down the grenade. Well i've never seen the likes of that one. There are some really fine German WW1 kugel grenades in this thread. most interesting indeed....Dano

Another thing that intrigues me about the "transitional kugal" in photo three of US subs post is the seam line 1/2 way down the grenade. Well i've never seen the likes of that one. There are some really fine German WW1 kugel grenades in this thread. most interesting indeed....Dano

I agree fully Dano. I've seen hundreds of Kugals over the years but this thread is breaking new ground for me.

John

look at the 3rd pic carefully.
it is a gren straight out of the mould needing the top hole threading and the horizontal grooves on the body machining in.
very nice anyway.
paul.

heres my small selection of kugals.
paul.

Attachments

• Page61913ball.jpg
    Page61913ball.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Page6practice1913kugal.jpg
    Page6practice1913kugal.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Page61915ball.jpg
    Page61915ball.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Page61915practiceKugal.jpg
    Page61915practiceKugal.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
  • SectionedKugal1915.jpg
    SectionedKugal1915.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 26
eye opener

Aah Paul, I noe see what you mean. Look and ye shall see. From this simple thread i've found there appear to be more German WW1 Kugel grenades than one can shake a stick at. Always the student I learned a few odds n ends here...Appreciated mucho...Dano
And John, totally agree much to be learned by me!! Adios...Dano

Kugalmania

Hello Dano,
I expect you may have seen this example before on another forum, but I can't be sure.
It's my genuine Kugal with a repro pannier. I would like to make a repro fuse to replace this sawn off one which it has at present but am unable to remove the fuse cap/striker (?) from the unit so that I can see what the inside looks like.
Could it be soldered on or is it just stuck with old age, (like myself)! Can you give me any advice?
Best wishes,
Guy.

Attachments

• Kug 1a.jpg
    Kug 1a.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Kug 2a.jpg
    Kug 2a.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 13
I am not so sure I like this thread, I thought I had pretty well covered the Kugel with the 1913 and the 1915, and now I have to keep looking, great information, thanks
Gus

google the kugel the grenade for the frugal

Guy, The igniter cap/cover is held in place by 2 punch marks 180 degrees apart, sorta peened in place and not meant to be disassembled. Of course if you really want to get it apart you can but I can see no real advantage in doing so. A good igniter of this design can usually be found for around 15.00us. The m1915 zinc-alloy igniter is common, but harder to get with original pull wire. If you prefer a diffferent igniter there are more than a few different ones that are correct for this grenade. The Kugel really looks impressive when installed in the pannier. If you wanna really get nuts I have come up with a method to make a replica bilboquet (ball in cup) grenade if you have a kugel body to make the replica. The bilboquet is quite rare and impressive looking to say the least and make for a nice piece for a kugel display. I'll post a pic of one I made if I can dig it out. Many of the bottom of igniters are burnt away or simply sawed off for demil purposes. The kugels are mondo cool and the variants are mind boggling. Seen a few newbies on me in this thread, which would make a fine sub-display all to themselves. Those repro panniers are really good and display proudly. Dano

Last edited:
Last Kugel on Right

I have this one also in my collection,( last Kugel on the right) mine came from Poland. Russian makes sense, definately not German........