What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kugelmania

Thanks Dano,
I look forward to seeing those pictures, and would certainly like to have a go at making a replica Bilboquet. The repro pannier came from Dugup, looks great, I gave it a light drop of Kurust to get the aged look to match the grenade a bit better.
If those two punch marks are meant to be that strong it must have taken some strength to pull the igniter, or is mine just corroded in place?
Best wishes and thanks for your help,
Guy.

Hi Navyman.
The top is not supposed to come off. the wire just pulles out and lights the fuze. I think the idea is that the cover helps to waterproof the fuze and protects the hand from the spluttering sparking fuze when lit, and the small hole on the side of the cover vents the gasses.
Also it would hide the sparks at night which otherwise might have given the throwers position away.
Thats my theory anyway.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Cheers, Paul.

replica bilboquet

Hi Navyman, the replica bilboquet is the one in middle......Dano

Attachments

• ordnance_pics_005_800x600.jpg
    ordnance_pics_005_800x600.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 48
bilboquet

For the 1/2 cup the kugel fits into I used a hard plastic kids ball and sawed it to app. size. Then sawed a bit off of a 37mm brass shell casing (size is right on. Drilled through casing and installed cotter key. Epoxied kugel into 1/2 ball and epoxied 37mm casing to 1/2 ball..Dano

Thanks for that Paul, I thought the wire was to pull the cap off, didn't realize it was itself the igniter.
Cheers, Guy.

Hi guys!
This is my first post and I welcome everybody,especially grenade collectors.
This are some kugels from my collection.
ajrczfrsxe72p46byce.jpg

Yes,Im from Poland.
One of my unknown kugels has markings "M,X and 8 or 3".
What do you think about it?

e6tnfbj17nidwvwlr70t.jpg

wg09o3sqbqwpvxvwxhu2.jpg

Kugelfest '09

Gee whiz AC - 23, What an assemblage of Kugel grenades. Thanks for showing. Seeing them all lined up like that truly does them great justice. This thread grew into 10 fold more than my wildest expectations. Some really fine examples shown by all. Thanks to all for the fine contributions. Best to all of you...Dano
And Guy, Making a faux bilboquet is really a "piece of cake" if you don't mind sacrificing a 37mm brass casing..Dano

Last edited:
Yes,Im from Poland.
One of my unknown kugels has markings "M,X and 8 or 3".
What do you think about it?
If somebody else has marking on his grenade of this type, please let us know. It could solve the mystery of their origin.

Ok, we've heard from several others, your "kugel", center row, far right - what country?

Sorry bout that, I delayed in sending and other posts overtook my question - so you have it as unknown as well.

Two more Kugel types.....

Cheers

engineer

Attachments

• Kugel b.jpg
    Kugel b.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Kugel.jpg
    Kugel.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 41
kugels out the yang

Wow, The variations of WW1 kugel grenades is just mind boggling. I was well aware that there were many kugel variants, but had no idea that there were this many. I will use this thread for reference as it contains more than a few that I did not even know existed. Thanks to all for posting pictures of their kugel grenades. Posting the variants can help us all (at least me) learn a bit more about what we consider a somewhat common grenade....Dano

Last edited: