What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LMG with Cup Discharger

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Just for amusement and interest.
Early 1930s I expect.

Attachments

• ZBwithcup.jpg
    ZBwithcup.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 117
Blacker Grenade Launcher

Another from 1930's. This is a grenade launcher and grenade devised by Blacker of 'Bombard' fame (29mm Spigot Mortar). The grenade is anti-riot having a rubber body and teargas loading.

Attachments

• Blacker Grenade Launcher.jpg
    Blacker Grenade Launcher.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Bren grenade launcher

There was also a WW2 period .303 cartridge for the experimantal Bren Grenade launcher. I have the drawing for the round, but I have not seen a picture of the launcher.

Perhaps an anti-tank grenade of some sort. Will post drawing if anyone interested.

Regards
TonyE

LMG Blank

Anything like the attached Tony?

As you will know there was a grenade launching requirement (or at least 'the possibility would be examined') for the 1930's LMG trials. I have a picture of the Madsen grenade which I will post if interest is shown.

There was also a WW2 period .303 cartridge for the experimantal Bren Grenade launcher. I have the drawing for the round, but I have not seen a picture of the launcher.

Perhaps an anti-tank grenade of some sort. Will post drawing if anyone interested.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• LMG blank.jpg
    LMG blank.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hi all.
would a standard cup discharger fit on a Bren that didnt have a modified barrel? I m no expert on the Bren[want one, have the box,] but ime sure it wouldnt fit on the flared flash eliminator if thats what you called it. Must have had some sort of modification.

Andy

Bren grenade launcher

Yes Norman.

That is DD/L/7806 I believe, which is dated June 1937. I was actually thinking about the other design DD/L/7806A which has a wooden bullet and is dated January 1938.

On another subject I have just found a drawing for the "Detonating Apparatus" of the No.21 grenade, which is of course a .303 case. It is dated March 1916 and is a Trench Warfare drawing TW796. Do you have it and if not, I will do you a copy.

Regards
Tony

Tony,

Thanks very much. I don't have the 7806 Dwgs but I do have DD(L)7152 & B which I will send by separate cover (too big for here).

I'm not sure if I have TW796 but will check.

Norman

Yes Norman.

That is DD/L/7806 I believe, which is dated June 1937. I was actually thinking about the other design DD/L/7806A which has a wooden bullet and is dated January 1938.

On another subject I have just found a drawing for the "Detonating Apparatus" of the No.21 grenade, which is of course a .303 case. It is dated March 1916 and is a Trench Warfare drawing TW796. Do you have it and if not, I will do you a copy.

Regards
Tony

Blacker

I didn't think they did 'pink and fluffy' back then.

TimG

Tim,

I think you are spot on. Looking at the patent dwg it seems that just the tip was rubber, the rest steel (presumably).

Attachments

• BlackerGrenadePatDwg.jpg
    BlackerGrenadePatDwg.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
N,

Thats more like it! and probably filled Mustard (for the home market).

Tim

Really interesting stuff, I love this type of thing that nobody has ever heard of before (except people that have really unhealthy interests in explosive ordnance that is).

Thanks for posting this Norman.

Hi all.
would a standard cup discharger fit on a Bren that didnt have a modified barrel? I m no expert on the Bren[want one, have the box,] but ime sure it wouldnt fit on the flared flash eliminator if thats what you called it. Must have had some sort of modification.

Andy

The cup discharger was not unique to the No.1 Mark III rifle (SMLE). The one in the picture would have a fixing clamp shaped to fit the profile of the Bren barrel, just as was the case with the ones made for the P.14 and No.4 rifles.

Regards
TonyE

The "Bren" shown ,,is that the original czech version ???? i was wondering if it is ,that maybe this was just a salesmans demonstration of what it could be used for by the british

BONNEX any idea where the picture of the ZGB with grenade launcher came from please ?

Not sure how long the UK toyed with this idea but the South Africans were still conducting experiments with the LMG and grenade launchers in June 1939.For the purpose of the trial, a ZGB barrel was lightened and modified and 1 of 6 ZGB's were reissued from the South African military college to be used.It was noted that the barrel from the ZGB would not be interchangeable with the Brens they now had on issue,so pressume the ZGB was a worthy donor now being obsolete.

Not having the slightest knowlege of grenade launches can someone tell me how much range would be lost if the gas bleed off from the barrel was not modified so as to be non functioning ?

Kevin

Bren

The "Bren" shown ,,is that the original czech version ???? i was wondering if it is ,that maybe this was just a salesmans demonstration of what it could be used for by the british

No Spotter, there was an official requirement for the LMG to be capable of grenade launching when the trials were going on in the 1930s. The DD/L/ drawing numbers that I mentioned in my previous post to Bonnex are actually titled as Bren grenade discharger blanks.

Kevin - interesting connection to the South African trials. Do you know if they developed a specific discharger cartridge? I would guess that the range of the grenade would depend whether it was an anti-tank grenade or anti-personnel.

Regards
TonyE

ZB Launcher

BONNEX any idea where the picture of the ZGB with grenade launcher came from please ?

Kevin

Kevin,

It came from Herb Woodend. Herb was the custodian of the MoD's Pattern Room of Small Arms at Enfield (and later at Nottingham). I assumed it was something to do with the 1931 LMG trials and that this was a ZB27 in 7.9 but the gun side is not my field.

Norman

TonyE - unfortunatly I only have a copy of a letter commenting on minutes of a meeting that discussed the matter of a Bren 'rifle grenade' trial.
I don't have any technical details or info as to how the trial concluded......but I'm working on it !

ZGB in pic is .303, but even though the picture is staged the could have at least put a magazine on the gun to give the impression it was ready to fire !

Thanks for the info Bonnex,I must have missed this picture at the PR. Very pleased to see it here !

Kevin

Bonnex are there any more plates showing the ZGB and cup discharger as sometimes these come in a series ? If you have is there any chance of a peek ?

ATB Kevin

Kevin,

The picture came from Herb's personal collection rather than from the PR and it was the only one that he gave me on this subject. The 1931 LMG trials (and the later trials covering 20mm) are documented in the Small Arms Committee Minutes for the period. Unfortunately the grenade firing 'nice to have' didn't seem to occupy much effort. I have not studied this area much but the fact that grenade cartridges for the Bren were made in 1937 suggests some maintained interest.

Wood bullet .303 grenade blank

TonyE, very interesting to hear that there was a proposed wood-bulleted grenade blank in .303" calibre in the 1930s. Peter Labbett mentions one made in 1940 in his book on the .303, and shows a picture of the brass mock-bulleted one. Did the wood-bulleted one resemble the LVII blank? What would the h/s have been, and have you ever seen one?
Roger.