What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LMG with Cup Discharger

There was also a WW2 period .303 cartridge for the experimantal Bren Grenade launcher. I have the drawing for the round, but I have not seen a picture of the launcher.

Perhaps an anti-tank grenade of some sort. Will post drawing if anyone interested.

Regards
TonyE

TonyE would you be kind enough to post the drawing please ?

Bonnex,many thanks for the reply regarding pictures.

Any other info on this subject ? ....facinating stuff

ATB Kevin

TonyE, very interesting to hear that there was a proposed wood-bulleted grenade blank in .303" calibre in the 1930s. Peter Labbett mentions one made in 1940 in his book on the .303, and shows a picture of the brass mock-bulleted one. Did the wood-bulleted one resemble the LVII blank? What would the h/s have been, and have you ever seen one?
Roger.

Hi Roger

Drawing DD/L/7806A dated 6.1.38 is the wood bulletted blank and is titled "Cartridge, S.A. Rifle Grenade, .303 inch ballistite, for BREN Gun"

Drawing DD/L/7152B dated 22.6.37 is just the wood bullet and is titled "Bullet, Dummy, for BREN Gun trials with Grenades".

Drawing DD/L/7806 dated 21.6.37 (orignally dated 1.3.36) is for the grenade blank with the brass mock bullet loaded inside the case. It has the same title as DD/L/7806A

Drawing DD/L/7152 dated 13.11.35 shows a blank with a spitzer paper bullet with a small wood tip and is titled "Cartridge, S.A. Blank .303 inch, for machine guns. With dummy bullet" This appears to be a normal training blank rather than a grenade blank.

None of the drawings show a headstamp. I have never seen an example of the wood bullet grenade blank, but have seen the brass mock bullet type.

I have an unheadstamped wood bullet blank, probably loaded by RG, that was a prototype L Mark VIII. This was never placed in production during the war but may have been a follow on from the trials in the late 1930s.

Unfortunately the drawings are too big to post here.

Regards
TonyE