What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MK II Grenade markings

Exploded grenade display.

Slick,
I really like the job done on the grenade range pick up. Looks very good displayed with the complete one in photo 2. A lot of work must have gone into that. Did you do it yourself?
Best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• Exploded%20002%20(Small).jpg
    Exploded%20002%20(Small).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 24
Navyman

No, I did not have a hand in making up the display. It is one of the neatest "naturally sectioned" items I have.

Rick

For one of the better write ups on the MKII grenade including fakes and forgeries see inertord.net.............Dano

Does anybody here know what were the markings from our nearby Ravenna Arsenal. They made Grenades too I believe. I know for sure they made Artillery shells for WWII on up through Vietnam. Almost over 16,000 acres? It is phenommaly huge! Buildings were just the right distance apart from each other. Shoots went from the inside of the facility out to a deep trench wherby a worker could drop a hand grenade if something went wrong in the assembly line. I am not sure what the worker was to shout though?

Does anybody here know what were the markings from our nearby Ravenna Arsenal. They made Grenades too I believe. I know for sure they made Artillery shells for WWII on up through Vietnam. Almost over 16,000 acres? It is phenommaly huge! Buildings were just the right distance apart from each other. Shoots went from the inside of the facility out to a deep trench wherby a worker could drop a hand grenade if something went wrong in the assembly line. I am not sure what the worker was to shout though?

Ravenna would have been "RVA" according to this reference. Page #284

http://gigconceptsinc.com/files/MIL-HDBK-1461A-1999-codes.pdf

Thanks Hink. Is there anyway to find out what they made?

I think it is possible to find the info but it would take some serious time. I am having trouble finding the info, most old obsolete ordnance contract details just are not available on-line. Maybe someone else can help.

OK, - Why?

Why you ask?.....It's just my personal opinion from all I have seen, heard, read and learned.

OK, you asked for it, I know this is a little bit of reading, but Please continue read my following theories and comments.............

The only solid bottom RFX I have seen, is the one in this thread by Eodtek http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/rfx-ri...ry-t71633.html
This body was an enigma to me...but think I have figured it out.

Please continue to read............

First.... I have never seen an early, a WW2, or post war U.S. government issue HE pineapple grenade body, that the body of fuze, and the neck of the grenade body did not almost exactly match in size. The size of the neck on this RFX is much bigger than the base of fuze. No U.S. issue grenades will be found with this amount of size difference. Anybody Please show one if you have one. (I do not think you will though)

To me, that fuze does not look like it fits that body properly but he says it does, and it's 9/16 thread size, and the M10-M6 type fuze fits it properly. OK, I'll believe that, but.............

Please keep reading............

Secondly, from the interior view of that "RFX HE grenade body" it looks like cheap cast iron, and nothing that the US Government would use for a HE grenade. Our grenades were cast from a certain quality type of metal, if I remember correctly a sintered steel or iron. We Definitely did not use cheap cast iron for HE grenade bodies.

All my US HE grenade bodies, and every other one I have looked inside of, which is many, looked nothing on the inside like the supposed "HE" RFX grenade shown below, they all have looked similar to second interior photo below of an older HE body with the filler plug.

I think the RFX body in pics below is a cheap copy made by who knows who, that happened to be made with 9/16 threads instead of the larger threads everyone is used to seeing, and this is causing a lot of debate and confusion. Look carefully at this RFX body and think about it. It's not a US issue body. It's a copy. Even the font of the RFX does not look proper to me. The inside is a dead giveaway, it's cheap cast iron.

I've also never seen any "original" green and yellow stripe solid bottom RFX marked grenades with WW2 M10-M6 series fuzes, and still waiting for someone to show one. Maybe they are out there, but I just don't think so.

In my opinion, I think all "original" U.S. Gov contracted RFX pineapple bodies will have a hole on bottom, and are post WW2 M21 trainers, period. I do not think that RFX ever made a solid bottom HE pineapple body for the US government.

I also think now maybe all solid bottom RFX bodies that have popped up, are just cast iron copies of varying ages that have caused a lot of confusion for collectors. I would look inside All solid bottom RFX bodies you have or see, and if it looks like the one shown below, rough cast iron, it's a copy, NOT US issue.

But...... if some of those nice WW2 dated ordnance dept. "minutes reports" that have been shown here before, can show that RFX was a contractor for HE solid bottom grenade bodies during or after WW2, or a period photograph is shown, then I will surely change my opinions.

Attachments

• Picture 129.jpg
    Picture 129.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 126.jpg
    Picture 126.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 127.jpg
    Picture 127.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 16
awesomeoso

Well laid out post Steve. I agree with much of what you stated save a few small items. One thing for sure about this hobby, nothing is cut and dry and new information does surface from time to time. I have always been told from other collectors, seasoned collectors that the U.S. G.I. RFX practice grenades started appearing around the time of the Korean War....Dano

Last edited:
I have multiple HE bodies with RFX stamped in them. I asked a question about the Richmond Foundry markings a few months ago and posted the pictures of a full bottom HE casting here http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/rfx-richmond-foundry-t71633.html

Do all the "RFX HE bodies" you have look the same on the inside? like the inside of the one you show in your thread above? Can you show these other bodies, and also maybe pictures of the insides of them with your special camera?

Well presented Steve and I totally concur and will continue to believe it until proven otherwise. One thing for sure about this hobby, nothing is cut and dry and new information does surface from time to time. I have always been told from other collectors, seasoned collectors that the U.S. G.I. RFX practice grenades started appearing around the time of the Korean War....Dano

Hey Dano, A Happy Holidays to you.

So then are you saying you could actually understand what I'm trying to say and show? if so, that's amazing. :bigsmile:

Your right, new info does pop up sometimes. My comments and theories may be wrong. These RFX pineapple issues & confusion all the time are driving me nuts.
I am hoping now Eodtek will show these other "RFX HE bodies" he said he has. It will be interesting to see if they look the same on the inside, like cast iron, with his special camera.

M21 / RFX Bodies

I've yet to see an RFX MkII, All the RFX marked bodies I have seen to date have been M21's. I just picked up an excelent M21 with an M205A1 fuse dated 2/53 last weekend at the Grand Rapids gunshow. I've had 3 other M21's, 2 had M205A2 Fuses (one dated 7/56 the other from 6/69) the other I got from a cousin who said he brought it home with him from boot camp and it had an M10 fuse in it.

Attachments

• M21 from 12-18-10 GR gunshow 001.jpg
    M21 from 12-18-10 GR gunshow 001.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 25
  • M21 from 12-18-10 GR gunshow 002.jpg
    M21 from 12-18-10 GR gunshow 002.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 20
I've yet to see an RFX MkII, All the RFX marked bodies I have seen to date have been M21's. I just picked up an excelent M21 with an M205A1 fuse dated 2/53 last weekend at the Grand Rapids gunshow. I've had 3 other M21's, 2 had M205A2 Fuses (one dated 7/56 the other from 6/69) the other I got from a cousin who said he brought it home with him from boot camp and it had an M10 fuse in it.

What might the tasty beverage be in the small glass tumbler with ice?
Whiskey and coke maybe? I see you are in the holiday mood already!
Very good!! :tinysmile_twink_t: good idea....I might have a cocktail or two also.

Yes, I agree, all actual "U.S. issued RFX "pineapple" bodies" had holes in bottom and were called "M21"s, and I believe introduced sometime in late 40's early 50's.

I believe my theories about the RFX marked "solid bottom" or as you and others call "MkII" bodies to be correct in my post above. It will be interesting to see what type of metal all the other solid bottom RFX's people say they have are made of, and also the fuze thread sizes. I have asked Eodtek to see these other bodies he has, and hope they will maybe be shown after the holidays when all settles down.

Have a Merry Christmas

My two M21 RFX are dated 2-54 with M205A1 fuze and 7-67 with M205A2 fuze. And Im totally agree with Steve, as I already stated before. I just have these two RFX grenades.... well, I dont know why I still have them as I dont collect post WWII items, I think it is because I have one mint with original container and second with modified fuze which complet the series.

What might the tasty beverage be in the small glass tumbler with ice?
Whiskey and coke maybe? I see you are in the holiday mood already!
Very good!! :tinysmile_twink_t: good idea....I might have a cocktail or two also.

I also needed a drink for read your extralong post, Man. :tinysmile_grin_t: