What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Brother in Action with my MG 08

Dave83

Here you can see my brother with my original MG 08 made by the Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrik Berlin 1911 !
The Gun was made for the export (see the arabic signs and stamps ) but than the gun stayed because of the WW1 in Germany and it was used by the German army the full war .
The Gun is mounted of the Hilfslafette 16all other MG 08 equipment is also there but not showing i will post the Accesories later ( Water box ,Round belt ,some different ammo boxes for it the Tool set the water hose and many many more !
When you are interessted of more pictures of the gun pls feel free to ask !

I hope you like it !!!

Regards David

Attachments

• Uniformen 1.WK 012.jpg
    Uniformen 1.WK 012.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC01638.jpg
    DSC01638.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC01643.jpg
    DSC01643.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Uniformen 1.WK 00001.jpg
    Uniformen 1.WK 00001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 334
Superb set up mate! He deffo looks ready for war!
Am i right in saying that the numbers in MG`s depicts the design year?

best

waff

Is it in firing condition?

I read that you can get a licence for owning and firing water-cooled MGs in Germany.

Very Very nice...I would love an MG08 ! you are very fortunate to own such a fine peice of history.
Regards
MG34NZ

Mg08

No the gun is not in firering kondition the barrel is not assembled in the gun and there are six holes drilled inside it is called Altdeko !!
yes i required more than 3 years to found one MG 08 in i said normal Konditions and belive me there are realy expensive .
at first i was thinking to paint the mounting sledge new but i decidet to let it in this conditions because the gun is old and i think is not bad when everybode can see it !!
The gun yes thats right is manufactured 1911 in Berlin i have a lot of more pictures of the gun i will post some more !!

The uniforms are not old i am often for Buissnes in India and all of my uniforms are made there it is possible to made all kind of Uniorms there i will also post some more Uniform Pics in the future !!

Regards David

Attachments

• DSC01645.jpg
    DSC01645.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01633.jpg
    DSC01633.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01647.jpg
    DSC01647.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01642.jpg
    DSC01642.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 67
More pics of my MG 08

Here are some more pictures of my DWM MG 08 and the Hilfslafette 16
This lafette was create in the end of 1916 because the original sledge mounting was to expensive and to complicated to manufacture my lafette is manufactured from the DWM Berlin too same as the Gun !!

Enjoy it

Regards David

Attachments

• DavidMG2[1].jpg
    DavidMG2[1].jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DavidMG3[1].jpg
    DavidMG3[1].jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DavidMG4[1].jpg
    DavidMG4[1].jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DavidMG5[1].jpg
    DavidMG5[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DavidMG6[1].jpg
    DavidMG6[1].jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 64
My MG08 08/15

Just a few pic's of my two german mg's the 08 has marking painted {now very faint } on the barrel jacket 15th bn AIF It was common practice to mark captured weapons so they could latter claim them the 08/15 has been rechambered for .303 in about 1940-41 with the japanese threat to the north of Australia We realized that most of our automatic weapons were overseas in nth Africa and our factories not quite able to meet demand they decided to collect as many WW1 trophy guns as they could from the RSL halls around Australia most were in very good condition and the best were rechambered and issued to the VDC [our home guard ] to use

Attachments

• watertanks2 025.jpg
    watertanks2 025.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 77
  • watertanks2 028.jpg
    watertanks2 028.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 72
  • watertanks2 026.jpg
    watertanks2 026.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 79
  • watertanks2 022.jpg
    watertanks2 022.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 104
Realy realy nice !!!

Realy nice 25 April this are guns the 08 with zf 12 scope i also have on of this zf 12 at home !!

And the MG08/15 i would say much rarer to find as the MG 08 i have seen in my life only one for sale but in that moment i had no money ( shit happens )ggggg

Realy nice collection yu also have the equipment for that water box ,steam hose ,ammo boxes ,tools ,ammo belts ???

Regards David

G'day Dave. Hard to find the accesories over here Would love a watercan I also have a repo drum mag for the 08/15 thats all I wondered if you had a sight for the 08 as I have a spare one
keep the pic's coming as it is great to see what different people collect . I was in Germany last year Mullhiem UR
Regards Daryl

Acessories for MG 08 ans MG 08/15

yes i think so this accesories are realy hard to find in good conditions i have nearly all of the acesories for this gun the Z.F 12 the water can the steam hose the singel and double belt ammo box the tools !!

But the rarest part to find is the ,,Gurtfller 16 to fill the cloth ammo belts i have only seen one in my life and this was not for sale ,i have the transport box of this loader but the loader it self i dont have ! i will post a pic of this loader !!

Regards David

The last two pics are my transport box for the loader !!!

Attachments

• Gurtfller16-1[1].jpg
    Gurtfller16-1[1].jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 58
  • gurtfueller%20total.P650[1].jpg
    gurtfueller%20total.P650[1].jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 72
  • gurfueller%20linksP650[1].jpg
    gurfueller%20linksP650[1].jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 63
  • GFkastenAus[1].jpg
    GFkastenAus[1].jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0591.jpg
    DSCN0591.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks

yes i am very happy to have it takes 5 years of my life to find one of this Gurtfueller 16 transport box to find in such good conditions also the inside parts are all there i only have to find such a loader i believe it costs me another 10 years of my life !:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Regards David

Wow!!!! A DWM 1909 Commercial!!!! WOW!

David, you're either going to hate me or love me, but that gun is NOT an MG08, it's the much much rarer DWM 1909 Commercial, made for Turkey before WWI.

There are several differences between the 1909 and the 1908:

First, the reciever (Kasten) is stepped upwards slightly at the bottom front on the DWM 1909 gun and it is not on the MG08. You can see this clearly in your pictures.

Next, the 1909 gun had the newer and improved, headspaceable lock, which looks a lot like the Russian Maxim M1910 lock, but isn't exactly the same; the new lock was adopted for the Chinese type 24 Maxim after the war, and was adopted as the Schloss 16 (model 1916 lock) during the war by Imperial Germany; the MG08 had the Model 1889 lock, which has a different attachement method to the crosshead & cocking lever- I'll try to post a picture. You very clearly have both the 1909 lock and the 1909 rails/cocking handle. Very cool.

Third, you'll note that your gun has a permanently installed collar around the waterjacket, which mounts it to the M1909 tripod that you have. The MG08 had trunnions to attach to the sled, a very different system. The same mount as on your 1909 was used on the Chinese type 24 as well. The 1909 tripod was actually a better mount than the Schlitten 08, in many ways, and is very sturdy. A very similar tripod was adopted as the 1916 tripod, also after the war by the Finns, but yours I am sure is the original Turkish contract tripod from the 1909 Commercial gun, as it has that neat brass nameplate on it, up by the top, and has those widely spaced knee rests or elbow rests. The 1916 tripod I don't think had the brass nameplate, (a bit of a waste) The Devils Paint brush has some neat pictures of the Turkish Maxims in use in WWI, and some more info.

More pictures please! If you can look about, and tell us what inscripions there are.

Your gun has nice turkish script on the fusee cover as well, next to the DWM logo and year of manufacture. You have very cool and super rare gun!!!! there were tens of thousands of MG08's made, but many fewer 1909 Commercials. Very nice find, but your brother should probably be wearing a Turkish uniform! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I've uploaded a picture of both my MG08, mounted on the 08/15 bipod with an adaptor here, and Davids 1909 gun, so that you can see the difference between the two at the lower front corner of the reciever; you can see where the 1909 is "stepped" upwards, or cut away upwards, with a different shell ejection system or idea. Neat gun Dave!!!

Attachments

• MG08 small.jpg
    MG08 small.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC01643.jpg
    DSC01643.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Neat photos!!! An introduction

Hi All, My name is Glen, and I'm a Machine Gun collector, student, shooter, and WWI buff & re-enactor here in the USA. I have a great deal of fun collecting and shooting the WWI MG's, especially the MG08 and MG08/15. Everyone's got some really neat stuff here!! The 1916 DWM maxim down under is very nice, it's really rare over here to find the early war guns like that: most here are 1918 guns. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Some photos of my Maxims, if I can get this to work! We can of course have firing MG's here in the states, these are all in firing condition; in fact, some of the pictures are from a trip to the shooting range with the 08/15, you can see the fired shell casings on the table in front of the gun. For David, I tried to include a picture of the MG08 lock, on my E-tin; you can see the attachment at the back is very different from the M 1909 lock. Enjoy! :D

Attachments

• MG08:15 from left shoot.jpg
    MG08:15 from left shoot.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 53
  • MG08:15 from R.jpg
    MG08:15 from R.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
  • locks 1889.jpg
    locks 1889.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Gurtfuller 16.jpg
    Gurtfuller 16.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 53
  • MG08.jpg
    MG08.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
live fire

G'day Glen you lucky bugger next time your at the range fire a few rounds for me I would love to fire the 08 and then a mg42 just to compare . Regards Daryl

Gday Darryl!

Thanks for the kind words, you're more than welcome to come out and compare if you can come up for a visit, I've only got a MG34 to compare it to, though- for a 42 you'll just have to come up to a big shoot like the OFASTS shoot or Big Sandy, and look around. :xd: Always neat! You can see some videos on youtube about the OFASTS shoot and the others, pretty good fun.

http://www.oklahomafullauto.com/index.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmcUGtCzRc&feature=related"]YouTube- 2007 Oklahoma Machine Gun Shoot[/ame]

Dave 83, nice transport box for the Gurtfuller also! I've got a transport box, but it's been repainted. :tinysmile_cry_t4: I love the schrift on yours!

Incedentally, that's the same font and style as on every WWI German box I've seen yet. Is there a stencil available in Germany like that???

Hi

Realy great your knowledge about the Mg 08 and the different kind of and you have realy good explaind for every one to understand the different i wrote down ist an MG 08 because only a expert will see the different like you my compliment !
And i have to say my englisch is to bad to explain like you the exact difference i hope nobody will be angry with me about this !!
Even so you are also right with the lafette of my gun there is the brass typical plate in the middle of the top realy good !!
About the gurtfueller 16 box i was searching a long time to find one in this condition but i see you have the Gurtfueller 16 this is realy a great pice of history very reare to find and very expensive i search now 10 years on of this
gurtfueller but till now i dont find one !
When you now one for sale i will be ready to bye it !!

Thanks best regards David

Thanks

thanks Richard

yes i will go ahead with my search of the Gurtfueller 16 but i hope it will not take another 10 years of my life !!:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Regards David

Daryl, Glen and David - some highly respected names in the MG world. Just found this thread by accident. Beautiful MG09 David. Daryl and David - please send me your 'wants' lists when you can?
If this thread stays as the MG08 thread I will start of a separate MG08/15 if ok?
Mark