What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paypal

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

paypal have just closed down my account for selling grens etc. Looks like they are now targeting UK users so we must all watch out in future. I wonder if this isnt an infringement of my basic human rights as ime doing nothing illegal as far as this country is concerned. This will reflect on all of us who collect ordnance which paypal/ebay consider banned.

Andy

Paypal doesnt allow send or receive payments for pay guns, grenades, rounds, etc, but not from now, but from long time ago. Dont forget that Paypal is an Ebay property. All that you have to do is ask to payer for dont state payment instructions like this: "Payment for a grenade from you". "Payment for P38 gun" They havent idea of what is a P38 or a M24 or a 2cm Flak, but if you write words like: weapon, gun, grenade, round, etc, they will close your account.

Hi Andy,

i think thats the way i shall go now, what dirty rotten scoundrels they are!!!
They have implied i am breaking the law, only their laws.

Andy

Hi Andy, Its the way the world seems to be going every thing is going mad bring back the old days.
Andy

They actually picked me up on a 2006 item at a time when it was ok to do such things on ebay.

Andy

2006? Then we're all in trouble.
The way to use PP if you must for our uses is, while arranging with the other party, send them a payment for "Money owed" in the Personal section or as a gift.
We had a thread going about all this at the beginning of the year but strangely I can't find it anywhere.

I saw the thread but thought it was paypal going for US accounts, looks like its all of us. I often use the 'alternative' billing system offered by paypal but not for SA. Will do so in future.
I actually have written permission from ebay to sell Mills base plugs and other bits, ile bet paypal will screw me if i try again.

Andy

These PayPal threads keep popping up. Getting sick about it.

If their TOS forbid money transfers for these items, then it's their right to freeze/close the accounts.
Sure, then can't claim that you are doing anything illegal when you're actually not.

There's only one thing to do: Don't use PayPal anymore. Use an alternative.

Hi all,

paypal have just closed down my account for selling grens etc. Looks like they are now targeting UK users so we must all watch out in future. I wonder if this isnt an infringement of my basic human rights as ime doing nothing illegal as far as this country is concerned. This will reflect on all of us who collect ordnance which paypal/ebay consider banned.

Andy

I just sold my beloved Capri:tinysmile_cry_t4:And took the payment on the tuesday night of last week.
I went to withdraw the money to my account on the Wednesday and by the Fri my account was Limited as they put it.

The Questionaire they sent me to lift this restriction was massive and involved all previous transactions going back about 7 auctions ago.
they wanted evidence of were my goods came from and details of the buyers,Almost immposible taskes to get at my own money.

Apparently i had raised there alarm bells due to the amount of cash
and thought i must be up to no good:neutral:

OK good with the security side of things but while everything i did was out in the open why the hell didnt they investigate themselves as these were
recent auctions and there for all to see.

MY sympathys Mate.

Best phil

Aye Phil,
I was wondering if you were going to share the 'Capri-woe' tale!:tinysmile_cry_t:

Is there a decent alternative electronic payment site around though?

best

waff

Aye Phil,
I was wondering if you were going to share the 'Capri-woe' tale!:tinysmile_cry_t:

Is there a decent alternative electronic payment site around though?

best

waff

Cash in registered letter,,, and international signed for for Europe, insured, seems to work ok for me, depends on ammount you are sending and feel comfortable with though. Regards Nick

Cash in registered letter,,, and international signed for for Europe, insured, seems to work ok for me, depends on ammount you are sending and feel comfortable with though. Regards Nick

Oooooohh!! cash in post!!

Never,ever again my friend as ive been clipped too many times.. :(

best
waff

High Nick

I sent two lots of cash to germany over christmas.

Both were small amounts but one never made it or so it was claimed.

These were discuised beyond recognition and sent by Airsure.

Needless to say i good German friend of mine came to my rescue and put me right by means of an iban.

The good thing about Europe is that ibans are free unlike our stoneage
banks. Cheers P if U R reading this

Best phil

I too have a good pal as well as P who helps me on the IBAN's.
As Phil says,cheers P and also M. ;)

So,it seems then that paypal rules the waves and there is no other alternative thats safe?

best

waff

Maybe I have been lucky,,but i have always send cash to Germany and different dealers in different parts. also Slovenia, france,, only place it did not arive was Latvia as cash is forbidden to sent there. was 20 quid. and all with our Royal Mail.

To transfer with Iban here want about 28 quid a go,,Western union prices are a pi55 take. does not leave a lot of options. if you use paypaly mark it as a gift,, no problem. cheers Nick,,

probably give it the kiss o death now saying i have had no real problems :))
next letter will be only a letter cash sent another way ,,,just in case.

Waff,

i have just signed up to google checkout which was quite simple, like opening a paypal a/c and going through all the usual formalities re bank a/c etc. Will have to see what happens. SA has a box for google checkout on its methods of payment acceptance on its listings. Just have to start again as a beginner i expect.

Andy

Oooooohh!! cash in post!!

Never,ever again my friend as ive been clipped too many times.. :(

best
waff

You boys overseas need a good anthrax scare like we had in the US a few years ago, since then, I have not lost any cash in the post. I never send cash in a registered letter anymore, the only cash I lost was in a registered letter to Italy, since then, I have sent cash it Germany, Poland, Austria, England, Italy, France, Belgium and the US. I always put a printed sheet of paper around the bills and tape them into the envelope. Do not send too may bills at one time to make the letter thicker than normal.

Andy,

I tried Google Checkout just before christmas and it was not a pleasant experience.

My card people declined the payment thinking it was a fraudulent transaction and it took a while to sort out. This was not a problem in itself, but google checkout lost the transaction and neither myself or the vendor could contact google checkout to sort it out other than by email which took days to be responded to.

I will never use Google Checkout again. If something goes wrong you cannot contact them easily to sort it out.

Will.

anytime i have had to send cash i always put it inside an old book. these can be picked up at local brik a brak stores for pennys. it has never failed me yet.
paul.