What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police in Action in Toronto

Gspragge

Premium Member

Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:00:13 PM
Subject: RE: What did they find ?

A couple of 17 pdr casings, a box of shotgun shells and some firecrackers. Our valiant police force arrested the guy and closed the busy road for 3 hours.

This doesn't make our lads look very smart, the unfortunate should have been warned about proper storage and all, but to arrest him is just to make themselves look good. A good lawyer will fry them. I feel so much safer now ~

"A bomb scare shut down a stretch of Weston Road and forced the evacuation of many buildings in the area for several hours on Monday.

Unexploded artillery shells were found in a storage shed at 201 Weston Road.
The busy route was closed from St. Clair Avenue to Gunns Road.

The Emergency Task Force is on scene, as is the bomb disposal unit."

What are you talking about? Those items could have brought death to millions of people. :rolleyes:

I try to approach it from the other direction - I've invited the local PD, Sherriff's Department and Fire Department into my home to see the collection and gain confidence that all is on the level and without problems. At their request I've done a couple of displays during some of their training events, as a result I've never had a problem and, should a new neighbor or someone complain there is no sense of alarm, just a relaxed visit. Not for every collector or area, but it works for me.

My concerns were never so much with the small arms stuff, but instead with the potential for misunderstanding from someone who is not aware of the background and details of my larger pieces - a plumber, furnace repairman, delivery person, etc. Any misunderstanding and panicked report to the local officials, if they are unprepared, could result in serious misunderstandings. So for myself I took the proactive approach. I've had pretty good results over the years.

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0022 (2).jpg
    DSC_0022 (2).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 83
My concerns were never so much with the small arms stuff, but instead with the potential for misunderstanding from someone who is not aware of the background and details of my larger pieces - a plumber, furnace repairman, delivery person, etc. Any misunderstanding and panicked report to the local officials, if they are unprepared, could result in serious misunderstandings. So for myself I took the proactive approach. I've had pretty good results over the years.

Very very nice collection there, thanks for showing it.
Wish I was your local furnace repair man!!
Dave.

That is a second fear. For reasons like this (nothing personal) while I am away all of my grenades and easily pocketable items are crated up.

Fallout !

Love the collection US/SUBS did the really large one in the second picture fall through the floor then :eek:

What is that rather large item-a drop tank perhaps ?

Nice to see someone who has a healthy interest in Mortars too.

Not to worry SUBs , If anybody calls in your collection, it would be our shop being called in to take care of it.

Chris, the large item is the submunition warhead for the Honest John rocket, it could carry 4800 golfball sized submunitions (M38, M40, M32). Its pretty light, thin walled.

Bombs, its not as comforting as you might think when other collectors tell you they will be the ones to come get your stuff -

Don't worry I won't raid your stuff, But I've had problems with other elements in the State stealing Inert Items from VFW, Legion Halls and the best was driving a 750lb robot thru a little old ladies house after an 81mm Illum tail boom.

Another question?

Hi US/SUBS thanks for the info, I never thought I would see another "Honest John" having seen the supposedly last one fired in this country.

A most spectacular item, sorry but one more item has caught my eye and that is the rather large shell behind the nose cone on the right hand side ?

And thanks for sharing those "private" pictures with us all.

The item behind the HJ warhead is not actually a projectile, it my Soviet 240mm mortar. A little bit bulky, its about 200lb empty - one of the heavier pieces to make it down the basement steps - the big stuff stays in the garage.

The HJ warhead was a gift from some friends out west in OK. I had been doing some work in the area back in the early 90s, whenever I would visit my kids (raised by wolves as ordnance babies) would climb into the warhead and roll around the compound. When I left after a year and a half the owners of the piece, noting my facination with all things submunition and my children's unatural attraction with the item, gave it to me as a parting momento. Its been one of my submunition centerpieces ever since.

I've been at this for some time now and have had some good friends and good access over the years. My biggest problem is the same as most everyone else, lack of space. Some of the other members have much more space and significantly larger collections - care to share, John?

Thanks for info

Many thanks US/SUBS for the answer-merely reiterates my thoughts that you are a a man who seriously likes his mortars !

Thanks Chris. If you like mortars here are a couple that are seldom seen. The first four are of the Soviet 420mm, an absolute monster. The last one is one of the shots from the off-limits storage area in the same location, the St. Petersburg Artillery Museum. According to the the curator this 240mm guided mortar was specifically designed for a nuclear warhead.

I've got a piece from home which I will post separately later that I am looking for info on, maybe somebody can help.

Attachments

• 420mm tube 2.jpg
    420mm tube 2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 420mm Mortar 1.jpg
    420mm Mortar 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 420mm Mortar 2.jpg
    420mm Mortar 2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 24
  • 420mm sign.jpg
    420mm sign.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 240 guided.jpg
    240 guided.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 31
Wow !

Jeez how does that monster gun not fall over with a barrel like that !:mad:

That sure is a nice 420mm Mortar, never seen one that big before.

Thanks for sharing them with us US/SUBS

Here's the mortar (weapon) , the "Tulpan" that fires this guided mortar. You can also see them placing the propelling cartridge.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_F-W4aBfgw"]YouTube- World's heaviest Mortar "Tulpan"[/ame]
Regards DJH

See you all tomorrow (hopefully) at 11.00 AM at the snack corner.