What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police raid collector ?

As soon as I can afford it I'm leaving this country. I'm unsure where to go yet but there must be alot of better places than here.

Just be careful what you wish for Falcon, there are some really really nasty places out there where people may want to get their balistic therapy fix.......on you.
A friend of mine was out in Sierra Leone in 2000 when the rebels went through the village he was working in, it wasn't nice.......................Britain is a good place.

I have been following the thread with interest. As some members will know, I am on the "enforcing side" side of things! The incident in West Mercia is one of those occasions where the Police is "damned if they do something and damned if they do'nt". By removing every firearm and explosive related article from the premises we have complied with our common law duty of care to the public whilst investigating an alleged offence. This action upsets those who prefer a softly softly approach. If we had just sent a plain clothes man around and ignored the ordnance collection there would have been a reaction from those who would say " the police have ignored a man who collects dangerous explosive articles". Replies to the thread are right - as a rule the police have no technical knowledge of ordnance related matters and rely upon the skills of military EOD to support our activities. Also please bear in mind that the media do not or cannot always report the full circumstances of an incident. There may be other intelligence in this particular incident that cannot be reported upon that had a bearing on how the police dealt with this.

Personally I am unsure where we go with this scenario. In previous threads we have discussed the creation of a formal Free From Explosive (FFE) scheme that would be recognised by enforcing authorities. Maybe this incident is more fuel to the fire for the creation of such a scheme? As I have suggested before, perhaps BOCN should lead in the UK to develop a scheme?
Tigbrand has had a more balanced approach by his local officers. I hope that common sense prevails in this matter.
All I want to say in closing is - please look at all these incident from ALL sides.

Well I just hope the situation is resolved,and hope that the Gentleman hasnt been up to anything,as it gives us all a bad name.
So i wish him well.

I always try to remember that most people cannot tell whether somthing is 'safe' or not and so take extra precautions to who is able to view my stuff.
We are diffrent and must not become immune to others reactions.
Thankyou

Just be careful what you wish for Falcon, there are some really really nasty places out there where people may want to get their balistic therapy fix.......on you.
A friend of mine was out in Sierra Leone in 2000 when the rebels went through the village he was working in, it wasn't nice.......................Britain is a good place.
Sierra Leone would probably be very near the bottom of my list. Britain might be a good place to live but public opinion is extremely against anyone with an interest in weapons or ordnance. Most of the public are ridiculously paranoid about anything like that.

Sierra Leone would probably be very near the bottom of my list. Britain might be a good place to live but public opinion is extremely against anyone with an interest in weapons or ordnance. Most of the public are ridiculously paranoid about anything like that.
Perhaps BOCN should lead the way in educating the public that the collecting of ordnance and related items can be achieved in a manner that will ensure that it is accepted by the authorities and is safe for those who live near or alongside collectors.

Hi all,

Public perception is a funny thing and it is a shame that ordnance even though inert can invoke paranoia in many people. They don't stop to think that most items have excellent safety mechanisms in place and are made to lug around and rough handling. Notwithstanding deterioration caused by age, the safety features have to be removed or deactivated for it to become dangerous. For eg. a live grenade only becomes unsafe when the pin is removed. When it is inert of course it is 100% safe but externally it looks the same as its live counterpart. People panic at the shape even though visually all safety mechanisms are in place. It all boils down to ignorance.

As you all know I live in Queensland. A few years back I was a bit daring and put on a huge feel and touch display of inert ordnance (including grenades etc) at my kid's primary school for the week leading up to ANZAC day.

I was waiting for some reaction, ie a call from the police or some complaint from a parent but it was not forth coming. Instead all I got was all positive. Apparently it was a big hit with the teachers and students alike.

Here in Queensland we are have many people that have collections quietly tucked away. Legally though we are required to either have as collectors an Ammunition Collectors Permit renewable every 5 years or be a member of the Australian Cartridge Collectors Association.

Many members of the ACCA have their wives join as members as well so if they pass away their wives can still legally own their collection until they can dispose of it for eg via one of the ACCA auctions. There are also a few silent members who join purely to legally own their collection and they never attend our meets.

The Ammunition Collectors Permit is issued by the Queensland Department of Mines & Energy and the applicant has to pass a police check. We come under the Explosives Inspectorate and are kept up to date with regular newsletters and regulation updates dates within the explosives community. I few years back I was even audited by an Explosives Inspector from the Dept. of Mines & Energy and it was a just like having a mate around to look at the collection. He was genuinely interested and asked many questions about different ordnance and went away learning something new. It turned out that he was sent around by the Queensland Police.

A few weeks later my backlog of B709B forms started to be approved by the Queensland Police Firearms Branch. For us Australians to import inert ordnance firstly we must hold a Collectors Permit. We then have to apply to the local state police force for a B709B form which is then submitted to customs with form B710 before an import permit is issued.

The issues that Australians have been having of lately when it comes to importing of inert ordnance is with the Australian Customs. As far as I am aware all of the State Police Forces happily issue the required B709B forms with of course the only criteria that the item can be demonstrated to be inert.

It is our customs that formulated a new policy which takes a paranoid approach to the mater and requiring the 1/4 sectioning and 15mm hole drilling.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

I know exactly what this guy is going through, All collectors in the UK be under no illusion when they come knocking your scum and you will be treated as that, it was explained quite well to me by my arresting officer as I watched them tear my house and collection apart, Quote " we have nothing on you, you have not even had a driving conviction or we just have not caught you yet" Your collection will never be the same again the damage they do will be irreversible.
The powers that be in the UK don’t like us collectors as we are very knowleagble people; it’s all about control in the end you will have a record so they have all the intelligence thy will ever need to keep you in check even if theres not a problem.
I see theres a lot of posts about FFE certs on the Forum, i had them, some even from the Army, The EOD stripped every thing using a leatherman which really damaged all the brass screws, The police said the items were the proceeds of crime so that made the FFE certs useless.
As for me I’m a criminal collector now, my advice is not to let anybody know what you have, have loads of money and a really good legal team on hand just in case they want to have a look at your collection.

Maybe some of our resedent EOD personnel could give us some pointers on what sort of paperwork or info they would like to see if they were called out to a large collection. Ive been thinking of making up a folder listing each and everything i have with detailed pics of it complete and dismantled and maybe adding a few ballbearings inside so they can be rattled to show they are empty. Is this a good idea or a waste of my time??
Cheers, Paul.

Last edited:
Maybe some of our resedend EOD personnel could give us some pointers on what sort of paperwork or info they would like to see if they were called out to a large collection. Ive been thinking of making up a folder listing each and everything i have with detailed pics of it complete and dismantled and maybe adding a few ballbearings inside so they can be rattled to show they are empty. Is this a good idea or a waste of my time??
Cheers, Paul.

FFE schemes have debated on BOCN before now so I wont repeat previous comments.
As a former EOD operator I would take a view that any article on display has to be initially treated as live until proven otherwise. Anything that can assist in my assessment such as documentary and photographic evidence will be of benefit, but the ultimate decider is the Mark 1 eyeball and this is where exhibits may have to be dismantled.
Your idea of a catalogue type folder itemising your collection in as much detail as possible would assist the EOD/Police a) to identify the collection and, b) to cement your credibility as a bona-fide collector.
The catalogue should be kept in a prominent place - you may not be at home when the call comes!

I am still a strong advocate for a hobby led, nationally recognised FFE scheme. Better that way than an unworkable legislative led process and much much better than losing entire collections through misguided interpretation of existing legislation.

thanks for the reply exat808.
i'll start my catalog of grens this week. its going to take some time but should be worth it in the end. i'll post some pics soon to hopefully get some more feedback.
cheers, paul.

Common sense prevails

After waiting the weekend to see what was to happen about an eod incident, I was given the OK yesterday. It seems that my parcel was intercepted at East Midlands airport postal center and eod were called,(not Bournemouth airport). The officers who arrived at my parents house were checking out me on behalf of Leicestershire police but never looked at my collection. Apparently they used BOCN to check me out (alongside other methods) and im not a threat to society! So all ok? So as far as the incident is concerned the matter was dealt with in a sensible and proffesional matter. Im left wondering now though, where is my inert, safe and LEGAL TO OWN!!!!! Bofors L60 round has gone???? Ive Learnt lessons from this, If you collect ordnance and live in the UK, and you buy or sell via royal mail or a courier, this is going to happen to you in the end. Other BOCN members have had this(more than people think),so no good thinking it wont. So in future meets at fairs etc are the way to try and go for me if i carry on collecting. Secondly you must make sure all items are fully strippable, and visibly inert. I like the idea of an FFE scheme,but i think this is unworkable. Im happy with a registration scheme and possible?? ECRA partnership with BOCN or similiar??? This would mean police etc,know the legit collectors, and can act accordingly. For me this has turned out ok,will it for you?? Tig:tinysmile_grin_t:

Im left wondering now though, where is my inert, safe and LEGAL TO OWN!!!!! Bofors L60 round has gone???? Ive Learnt lessons from this, If you collect ordnance and live in the UK, and you buy or sell via royal mail or a courier, this is going to happen to you in the end.

This type of thing does happen more often than we think. The big problem is not with Royal mail as when you check their policy they will carry inert ordnance it is Parcel Force you have to worry about. The parcel centers get really pissed too as this all causes down time until the item is checked.

I have had items opened but still received them but the item that caused the letter below was a solid 2 pounder AP. I never was informed and I even reported the item as lost but noone told me it was lifted. Months later the sender got the empty box back and this letter.

IMHO it all come done to how jobs worth your local police force is.

Attachments

• EOD letter.JPG
    EOD letter.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 120
This type of thing does happen more often than we think. The big problem is not with Royal mail as when you check their policy they will carry inert ordnance it is Parcel Force you have to worry about. The parcel centers get really pissed too as this all causes down time until the item is checked.

Yeah,

I've had a few parcels opened and inspected, 99% of mine would be cartridges, and where possible i try to get senders to remove the projectile, but to date everything has arrived OK.....I've got the problem that i'm on an island and majority of mail comes by air from mainland.......and theres no collector clubs over here.

I have sometimes ordered items which were returned to the sender with no apparent explanation and sometimes they have simply disappeared in the postal system.

The worst case I know off happened to a local militaria dealer here in Northern Ireland. He ordered an inert shell which was posted within the UK via a courier, I think it was DHL. They x-rayed the parcel and immediately called the police. The dealer had the delightful experience of a police raid, doors kicked in, house trashed, items confiscated and family traumatised. He was taken into custody, DNA fingerprinted and so on, eventually to be released without charge without so much as an apology. Bearing this in mind, I have been quite cautious about mail order ordnance.

Be warned, if you play with feathers, expect to get your arse tickled sooner or later!

Fred

I have often wondered if the sender put a letter in with it stating that it was inert and legal to own ect and marked the outer packaging INERT that avoid being destroyed ect? I have also had ordnance sent to me from outside of the UK with the cutoms slip declared as something else and think This is asking for trouble as if x-rayed it obviously is not what is in packet.
As already said it is a chance you have to take as sending even inert ordnance into and outside of the UK via the postal system is illegal.

Tony

Latest

Have had another call from Dorset police today to close the incident with my L60 Representative round, Very Friendly and helpful indeed,They have told me my round is at Chilwell Barracks nr Nottingham in the hands of EOD. Any idea you EOD bods where to go next?? The police told me there was no reason why i should not get it back as it is totally legal and is my property. Help appreciated please.Tig

Dear All,

Having followed this thread for a while, thought Id share my experiences in relation to it.

I was unfortunately on the receiving end of a similar visit back in 2001.
At that time I had quite a large and diverse collection of inert ordnance, that I have now slimmed down for both practical purposes (space constraints) and as a result of the visit (to ensure that what I collect has a much reduced chance of accidently being somehow deemed illegal in law).
I have to say the visit was triggered by what must really be considered poor intelligence I had bought some .45 & 9mm bullets on ebay to load into some fired cases for display purposes. This had been picked up by the authorities and somehow flagged as a reason for the visit (I would not use the word raid, as the officers who where involved did certainly not behave any heavy handed way whatsoever). The time period was at that of a certain amount of anti-terrorist intelligence hysteria, perhaps not surprisingly as a result of the dreadful Twin Towers Tragedy.
My ebay purchase combined with the fact that I have an Asian surname seemed to have resulted in somebody putting two plus two together and tasking my local Police force on a quite large scale effort to visit my bungalow, located on the South coast. I should say at this point that the Police officers and EOD Personnel who were involved that day behaved immaculately and were polite, courteous and professional. I certainly had no cause for complaint with them, but rather those who triggered the visit really ought to have done better.
I wont detail how I found out about the actual visit, as I dont want to sound disparaging to the Police, who I know have a very difficult job to do in this area. Suffice to say I found out about the visit through an unofficial source, whereupon I speedily headed home, to be met by a rather surprised group of officers when I turned up. The road had been closed and they were awaiting arrival of EOD.
I have to admit to being somewhat nave as to taking the opinion I had nothing to hide and as well as my collection in the house (out of sight) had in my garden shed (with windows) easily noticeable, some 2 Mortar inert smoke bombs recovered as part of an organised range clearance and removed by me with official sanction (for which I had the paperwork).
The net result of the visit was of course that it was an extremely unpleasant experience (again not due to the officers behaviour just the thing itself). Once I clearly explained what I had and why and the purpose of the ebay purchase! It became obvious that the visit had been as a result of very poor intelligence. I had nothing illegal (all my collection is inert), was neither cautioned, arrested or anything else. The officers put everything back and left. Nothing was ever said or mentioned again in relation to this visit, although I did stay in touch with my local firearms officer after the event for a while.
The moral of this story is that if you collect ordnance you have to be aware that this sort of thing may happen. In relation to the law, you have to be whiter than white and adhere strictly to the obvious definitions of the law. I would hope that people who know me as an individual, on this forum from the official side, would agree that I am always keen to promote this viewpoint, whenever I get the chance!
Here does comes a problem though, as well all know, the law in many areas is not clearly defined and in many areas and of course rather rigorously defined (trace elements of explosive in items manufactured to explode but now de-activated, could now be deemed as cause for concern).
It became obvious during the visit that the complexity and variety of my collection was far beyond the knowledge of the EOD personnel sent to check my collection. This is not meant to be disparaging to them, but the reason as collectors we collect, is that we are often experts in our field and really only another expert may be able to identify what we have. The remit of the EOD personnel in this instance was to ensure that what I had was simply not dangerous, rather than as experts in law, and to determine exactly what I had and was it legal to own.
Perhaps now is the time to start a serious conversation in relation to a defined FFE process. I believe in the USA it is possible to own a collectors licence, maybe this is an option here.
As a responsible group, maybe we as BOCN ought to be helping to drive this, as this forum as an entity, contains experience and opinions from an official and individual perspective.

If you have taken the time to read this I hope you are still awake and maybe respond with some ideas to help us all out, so both sides can act in a clearly defined legal, moral and ethical way in the field of ordnance collecting. Collectors have much to offer as responsible individuals. Every element of society has rogue elements and we as responsible collectors have a right to drive these people out of our discipline. I have to say, after the trauma of my visit, I did take a long hard look at myself and ask why I collect what I do and had to justify this to myself. I was happy that I was able to do so. This is something that perhaps is worth doing periodically for all of us maybe!

Best Regards

Mark

I believe in the USA it is possible to own a collectors licence, maybe this is an option here.

In the US, as long as your items do not contain explosive, incendiary or toxic materials, there is no need for license or permit. By Federal regulation they are considered nothing more than empty containers. Some States have more stringent requirements in certain areas, but they are few and far between.

I have not recently checked, but the last time that I had examined the regulations and spoken with ATF representatives, you could have up to 1/4 oz of explosive or incendiary in a projectile body only, which allowed for some (but not all) projectiles up to 20mm. Propellant was not an issue, with the exception of black powder over 5lbs.

In fact, it is/was also legal to purchase and own HE or otherwise energetic munitions, if the proper Federal permission is requested and received, and if the materials are stored in compliance with Federal and State regulations.

None of this is to say that there is not significant potential for misunderstandings or problems. The task of law enforcement can be difficult in the best of times, and this is not the best of times. Sensitivity to potential problems with explosives is a concern, and most law enforcement agencies have little training and exposure. Due to the conflict in the Gulf region, military EOD have withdrawn from much of their old liaisson activities. This leaves law enforcement largely on their own when reacting to incidents and in the absence of reliable information, potentially prone to react strongly.

I'm against licensing of collectors/collections in the US, but am in favor of policing our own ranks and supporting law enforcement in their understanding of the collecting community. If we don't talk to law enforcement openly in advance, then they will only know us from when they are called to resolve problems. At that point it is too late.

Hi US-subs,

Yes - a difficult area this. I think in the UK the laws dont help us very much in this area. Often they are driven from an an anti perspective rather than practical or realistic. Everybody understands the need for common sense laws but unfortunately we often end up with situations not clearly defined and not clearly understood. In relation to explosive traces, I dont know what the measure is that defines what would be illegal in the UK - perhaps our proffessional EOD members might be able to help out. With the advent of anti-terrorist laws (which again we all understand the rationale for) swabbing of items could easily pick-up explosive residue from a de-activated item (de-activation is another tricky topic - as I believe it is now illegal in the UK to de-ativate or alter any device that was once designed to explode or detonate). I dont know what the law defines as being illegal through having explosives present - even tho it may only be a few microns!!
Another example would be AP ammunition. In the UK even a projectile is illegal to hold without the relevant FAC. The risk here is that un-wittingly you may be at risk of holding illegal ammunition and not being able to tell without expert opinion - from someone who has knowledge of the type of projectile and maybe an x-ray machine!

At the end of the day a claerly understood legal situation benefits everybody - collectors and law enforcers equally.

The debate continues!

Mark :)