What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reigel Mine R Mi.43 New for collection

I sprayed it down with some gun oil to keep it from rusting too much more, or at least slow it down.

The condition looks excellent compared to any others I have seen.

Big word of caution. Gun oil does inhibit rust but it also contains solvents as it is a cleaning agent. It will remove the stencil markings.
I mention this as I found it out the hard way.

PC

The condition looks excellent compared to any others I have seen.

Big word of caution. Gun oil does inhibit rust but it also contains solvents as it is a cleaning agent. It will remove the stencil markings.
I mention this as I found it out the hard way.

PC

Hi PC, thanks, it is a nice one, you're right. I really like it and guess I am quite lucky to have it. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

This is a good point you bring up about "certain" types of oil and relics and and their paint and markings.

I use a gun oil that used to be called "Tri-Flow" , then it was called "Break Free" and now it is owned and marketed by "Winchester" brands here in the U.S. It is a semi synthetic oil with teflon additives. I am a gun collector for 40 years, and for last 20 or so have used this gun oil-preservative-lube, and it is the best for preventing corrosion and for lubrication.

I decided a couple years ago when I got into collecting grenades, to wipe down gently a few grenades to slow some rust, and found it made the paint on the grenades look better and more colorful like they originally were. I have used this oil on many items with just a light wipe down and it really brings out the colors of original paints.

Although I always take extra care not to let any oil sit for any long length of time on any ink stamps or stenciling. I've never had a problem with markings being removed or damaged. I am sure maybe some other types of gun oils might do otherwise though, so one has to be careful. :nerd:

What did you use that had the bad results?

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
First idea was that, your mine is the same as the one which stand near a table. So, now i check it over and seem like your one is not the same but looks a lot alike, from same family surely :)

Best
E

Ahhh, OK Endel, I understand now. Thanks for explaining. Those are very nice mines you have taken the photos of. They also have the dates remaining on them, that my Reigel does not have. :tinysmile_cry_t:

How much were the sellers asking for these 2 reigel mines?

Was this fair in Latvia...Riga?

Regards, Steve

This is a good point you bring up about "certain" types of oil and relics and and their paint and markings.

Although I always take extra care not to let any oil sit for any long length of time on any ink stamps or stenciling. I've never had a problem with markings being removed or damaged. I am sure maybe some other types of gun oils might do otherwise though, so one has to be careful. :nerd:

What did you use that had the bad results?

Regards, Steve

I only collect ordnance so I obtained 1 litre of the MOD's finest. It is called Elertrolube and listed as Light Weapons Protection Oil.

I used it on my first Stielgranate 41 and even thought I wiped in lightly with an oily cloth I think it lightened the stencil markings.

Now if I want any rust protection I use a light coat of vaseline.

PC

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 31
I only collect ordnance so I obtained 1 litre of the MOD's finest. It is called Elertrolube and listed as Light Weapons Protection Oil.

I used it on my first Stielgranate 41 and even thought I wiped in lightly with an oily cloth I think it lightened the stencil markings.

Now if I want any rust protection I use a light coat of vaseline.

PC

I see PC, OK thanks for the warning!!

I've never heard of Elertrolube and these products over here.
MOD is ministry of defense?

If this is the G.I.issue type gun oils, I would not have used those!! they contain some strong cleaners also I think for corrorsive ammo use...... a real witches brew of strong chemicals.

Your Stielgranate 41 still looks very good, you did not ruin it really. It looks in very good condition, maybe it did not need to be oiled?

I've never heard of Elertrolube and these products over here.
MOD is ministry of defense?

If this is the G.I.issue type gun oils, I would not have used those!! they contain some strong cleaners also I think for corrorsive ammo use...... a real witches brew of strong chemicals.

Your Stielgranate 41 still looks very good, you did not ruin it really. It looks in very good condition, maybe it did not need to be oiled?

Yes the oil is Ministry Of Defence issue from the army stores.

It was the early days of my collecting where I thought everything needed a coat of oil. Luckily I stopped after the Stielgr. 41. In the end I think it affected the colour a bit or it could all be in my head. Either way I wasn't taken any more chances as the oil has the potential to do damage.

I have an original 44 dated also, and i had some exact repro`s copyed from it. if you are interested in making a cuttaway ! p.m me and i will see how many i have remaining to sell

I have an original 44 dated also, and i had some exact repro`s copyed from it. if you are interested in making a cuttaway ! p.m me and i will see how many i have remaining to sell

Hi Panzerknacker.... sent PM......a happy new year to you. Thanks, but really have no time nowadays to be making make cut aways...though I am interested to get the missing inside charge container box for my Reigelmine if you see an original for sale

maybe you could post pics of you repro's, would like to see them.....