What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replica 9.2 inch Projectiles

Here's the start of the shells, the first one to be painted is a Mk VIIIB Practice Shell. The yellow one will become a Mark XIIIB APCBC. I better sort out the stencils for the CoG and markings so I can complete them.
ConcreteShell_01.jpgConcreteShell_02.jpgConcreteShell_03.jpgConcreteShell_04.jpg

That driving band looks good enough to chisel off for scrap!

Good job.

You have even got rust pitting.
The Mark XIIIB will be an APC, as explained in a previous post.
The yellow is a bit bright. See my last post and Spotter's sticky in forum Identification referring to BS 381C

Last edited:
The yellow might appear brighter than it is.Anyway it'll fade quickly in the harsh NZ sunshine!.
Could it be toned down with a replica 'linseed' wash,as a preservative?.
Still reckon they look good enough for my door step...

AE501, I take on board what your saying and I'm not happy with the brightness of the yellow. The headache I have is that BS381C doesn't exist here and really the paint makers are not that helpful to recreate BS381C, they will make something in the current colour series, but they tend not to match the original.

I have been scrolling though encycolorpedia to find what might work. I think I've found an equivalent for the Buff Middle colour, but since the majority of the APC shells made will be marked with TNT 93/7, they should be BS381C 56 'Golden Yellow' and I will do one, maybe two filled with Lyddite and use BS381C 59 'Buff Middle'. Well I hope to use colours as close as I can get.

Here's our original TNT filled Mark XIIB APC Shell
9-2inch_29.jpg

Did you actually look at Spotters sticky, because that is about right for colours?
Your shell looks amazing and how nice it was to see a real one again.
The C of G is not a mile off the original.
If you had a touch of brown it would take the edge off. In reality, the colours on shell were never exactly as shown in BS 381C, at least not if they had been scraped and repainted. You only have to do some comparisons with shells in Members ammo or posts to see variations.

Heres an example of a 3.7" proj i repainted, matching the colour to an Australian produced 40mm Bofors proj.
This looks too mustardy for the yellow required, but maybe something in between?
3.7REPAINT.40MM.jpg
I know it introduces a very subjective error, but this colour is very close to the BS381C 56 'GOLDEN YELLOW' equivalent(?) when compared to my copy of FS595B colour chips i use for model making.

cheers
Bob

No, that unfortunately is a chromed cased 1890's Hotchkiss or Armstrong (can't remember which one) 6 lb round. I put it there to give some size comparison for the 9.2 inch Shell

I did look at Spotters sticky and I know he has shown the slightly later BS381 numbers, which is good, but over here in New Zealand the the general paint makers only seem to be concerned about the current paint charts and don't hold or have access to the very old charts/codes. I'm trying out a new yellow colour on the existing yellow concrete shell, it looks duller. I will try and get a photo of it on Tuesday with it in sunlight to see what its like.

The original APC round shown and a sister shell have been sitting in limbo waiting to finish the process of being repainted, something I did start doing ............... toooooooo long ago and really need to get sorted out along with the two new Mk XB Practice Shot Shells. Now with the concrete ones under way I can sort out the correct colors on those first rather than trying to continually move and repaint 172 kgs of original shell.

Good work there Bob, currently I'm trying out some 'Pizza' to take the edge off the yellow, I'll post a photo on Tuesday of it to see the difference. What model of Fuze Hole Plug is in the 3.7 inch? Which reminds me we have a 3.7 inch that need to be painted correctly.... ohhh well a project for another day.

Heres an example of a 3.7" proj i repainted, matching the colour to an Australian produced 40mm Bofors proj.
This looks too mustardy for the yellow required, but maybe something in between?
View attachment 111014
I know it introduces a very subjective error, but this colour is very close to the BS381C 56 'GOLDEN YELLOW' equivalent(?) when compared to my copy of FS595B colour chips i use for model making.

cheers
Bob

That 3.7" proj colour is pretty near to a lot of shells I have seen. They seemed to get darker with age, particularly those which were unpackaged and bulk stacked.

The 3.7" was painted with professionally colour matched mixed paint,loaded in spray cans.I still have 1 can, Kev,give me a call.

I managed to get a test pot of AS2700 X41 Buff, this is suppose to be the equivalent to BS381C 359 Middle Buff.

The shell has 2 fresh coats, except the tip which has the original yellow. The tip is about to be cut off and turned into a Fuze Plug.

It looks different to Bobs 3.7 in. Shell, but if this is more suitable I will get a tin of it, or keep looking for the correct colour.

ConcreteShell_08.jpg

That colour is spot on. The band on the other one looks golden yellow, which is right because you would use Golden Yellow which is the colour of stencilling paint. It looks as though the white/red/white bands are just below the cap on your photo, but either the amount of yellow of the
BBC has overpowered the camera colour mixing or it is faded over time.

As regards Andy Naude's comment. The APC cap (not ballistic in this case, although ballistic) marking is correct, but not for in - service markings.
It is a marking (red, and where possible sealed red label) used by the quality assurance department of the design authority to indicate a Master Pattern. Such patterns are held in their organisation and are not permitted to leave the establishment. They are used to make standard patterns which can go to tender/contract manufacturers to see whether they are capable, in the first instance, of making the item and if awarded the contract, to take any data from the pattern to ensure that they are making it correctly.
Now that 9.2" is obsolete this projectile has become surplus to requirement and one way or another has left the holding establishment and arrived at the museum.

Some of the numbers will be an identifier of that particular projectile and somewhere in a manual ledger of the time, all the attributes of that proj would have been listed, to enable the standard pattern(s) to match it.

Last edited:
Thanks AE501, I've gone and got a litre of the new paint and you should start to see some APC and HE shells over the next couple of weeks, once I finish sorting out the correct stencils I need to make.

Interesting to learn about the master pattern round.

I've begun working on the APC Shell, one headache I have is I need the code for a filling station so I can make the stencil.

Anyone know which company's filled 9.2 inch shells?