What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian arrowhead rounds.

SG500

Premium Member
I was having s massive sort out of the collection today and thought I'd photograph the Russian arrowhead group. Is anyone aware of any more Russian arrowhead calibres?
Shown are:
85mm
76mm
57mm
76mm
76mm sectioned
45mm
The 45mm is also shown with cap unscrewed, it appears to have large quantities of grease to protect the core.
All INERT etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• Russian Arrowheads 001.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 001.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Russian Arrowheads 002.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 002.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Russian Arrowheads 003.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 003.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 96
  • Russian Arrowheads 004.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 004.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Russian Arrowheads 005.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Russian Arrowheads 006.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 006.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Russian Arrowheads 007.jpg
    Russian Arrowheads 007.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 107
Just wanted to say what a fine collection you have gathered there Dave. They look very nice together.

regards Kev

Really excellent looking group and a very nice collection.

I don't know much about Russian stuff so sorry that I am not much help. Are these all WW2 period and what weapons were they for?

Many thanks
PC

Very nice collection Dave!
But in my opinion the first 76mm from left is fake projectile. And don't used in this caliber (long 76,2mm AA?).
From the 76,2mm be more with alu and bakelite ballistic capped.
If the 85mm is from WW2 and don't after war product so this is a really rare piece, same than the 57mm.

Very nice collection Dave!
But in my opinion the first 76mm from left is fake projectile. And don't used in this caliber (long 76,2mm AA?).
From the 76,2mm be more with alu and bakelite ballistic capped.
If the 85mm is from WW2 and don't after war product so this is a really rare piece, same than the 57mm.

Thanks for all you comments guys appreciated.
APFSDS, you may indeed be right about the second from left, that is the only one I am not sure about. The projectile is real but repainted but may be in the wrong case. Will do some more research on that one.
All the other projectiles are definitely correct and in the right cases.
Dave.

Really excellent looking group and a very nice collection.

I don't know much about Russian stuff so sorry that I am not much help. Are these all WW2 period and what weapons were they for?

Many thanks
PC

Definitely WW2 for the 4 rounds on the right.
Dave.

I tought the projectile in the long 76mm case is from one material. If only thick the paint, so this is the second from the three varriant of 76mm projectiles, the alu ballistic capped.

I tought the projectile in the long 76mm case is from one material. If only thick the paint, so this is the second from the three varriant of 76mm projectiles, the alu ballistic capped.

I'll strip the paint one day just to satisfy my curiosity as the paints not original on this one. There's a chip in the paint on the tip that you can't see in the photo and the tip is alloy unlike the rest of it. Will investigate further.
Dave.

Dave,
Can you send close up pictures of stencils on the longest case. I can't read then clearly but they look a bit like Finnish reload markings.

Must be very careful when doing cut from the Russian sabot projectile, since they contain poison!
During the war, Russian, used piercing projectiles caliber 37mm, 45mm, 57mm, 76.2mm, 85mm.
I see a lot of projectiles caliber 76.2mm. Found few 45mm. For all time have only one head 85mm, and my freind for 10 years see only one head 85mm. 37mm and 57mm it's a very rare thing.

Attachments

• 37мм БР-167П.jpg
    37мм БР-167П.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 45мм БР-243П.jpg
    45мм БР-243П.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 57мм БР-271П.jpg
    57мм БР-271П.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 76мм БР-354П.jpg
    76мм БР-354П.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 85мм БР-365П.jpg
    85мм БР-365П.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 72
Must be very careful when doing cut from the Russian sabot projectile, since they contain poison!
During the war, Russian, used piercing projectiles caliber 37mm, 45mm, 57mm, 76.2mm, 85mm.
I see a lot of projectiles caliber 76.2mm. Found few 45mm. For all time have only one head 85mm, and my freind for 10 years see only one head 85mm. 37mm and 57mm it's a very rare thing.

Hi thanks for the information, very interesting. I have read that there is a mercury compound around some of the cores. I didn't section this one but I'm sure the person who did knew exactly what he was doing, thanks for the warning anyway.
Dave.

I've just noticed the little red warning that says Hg ??
Clearly Hg is Mercury, what's the second part of the chemical formula that I can't make out?
Dave

MgCl2 is a compound called mercuric chloride, a white crystalline solid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury(II)_chloride

Thanks, I remember using this stuff years ago at school long before people got too jumpy about such things. The teacher made a barometer with mercury - big bowl of the stuff with an inverted tube over the bowl - and a group of 20 or so kids gathered around to watch. Now keeping in mind how easily mercury vaporises and vapour levels gradually build up in a room especially if the windows are shut that was probably a really bad idea :tinysmile_angry2_t: Don't worry I don't have any plans to section any arrowhead rounds.
Dave.

Space or lack of it.

Thanks Chris, you tempted to expand the collection?
Dave.

Sadly Dave I must NOT have any plans for extending the collection as room is the real limiting factor:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I will leave you to do the collecting:tinysmile_shy_t: