What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian WW II F1's

Fuze by Koveshnikov was adopted in 1928 (a last design drawning fuze). In this time was adopted and grenade "Ф-1" (with body produced in France).
Before 1939 year Russians used F-1 with bodies produced in France only (from WW1 period). After 1939 year was Russians adopted their own design drawning of body "F-1".(without hole and plug in bottom)
Koveshnikov's fuze had a few variety in WW2 period (look my gallery links in bottom).

and.... Koveshnikov fuze had at the minimum two variety of detonators (normal length and short)

In 1942 year was adopted "UZRG" and later "UZRG-M"...

Hello Jonni, Excellent info on these mysterious Koveshnikov fuzes. I have gathered 5-6 examples and will post pics to see.

The Kovesh fuzes also had two different thread sizes, coarse and fine for the detonators. I found only ONE with this feature, all others have fine threads, this one has coarse. They are not interchangable. This is strange?? do you know about this? Here look

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P6200010.jpg
    P6200010.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 48
  • P6210012.jpg
    P6210012.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P6210016.jpg
    P6210016.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 49
Yes yes...Kilroy, i know about differing threads on detonators for Koveshnikov's fuze. I have one Kovesh from Leningrad region (Kolpino) what have a coarse (with big step) threading.
Look at my picture:
Note: - lever on top of cap have a rivet!!

normal_Koveshnikov_fuse.jpg

Rivet on top is a variety Kovesh fuze too! (rare!)

;)

Yes yes...Kilroy, i know about differing threads on detonators for Koveshnikov's fuze. I have one Kovesh from Leningrad region (Kolpino) what have a coarse (with big step) threading.
Look at my picture:
Note: - lever on top of cap have a rivet!!

normal_Koveshnikov_fuse.jpg

Rivet on top is a variety Kovesh fuze too! (rare!)

;)

Hi, Yes jhonni, this looks like the same coarse thread size as the one I have. Mine does not have the rivit on the top, and is a brass cap.

Why the difference in thread sizes?

One must be an early fuze, and one must be a later fuze. If they are not early and late, I find it hard to believe they used 2 different detonator thread sizes during the GPW. This is a logistical nightmare for fighting men.

What do you know about this?

Regards, Steve

It's a simple Steve...
1. On factories was work a childrens and womans - all healthy man's was in the army.
2. Leningrad was in a blockade and factories was made a weapons from limited materials. May be design drawings was not available.
3. All factories was evacuate on to Ural and in a far regions.
and many cause's...
It was very difficult war for Russia...

Look at my photo:
The fifth grenade F-1 from Leningrad - have a very bad quality of manufacturing.
Note: Fuze with rivet from this grenade.

attachment.php

Last two grenades is a handicraft industry (they from Kursk and Novorossisk)

Hi,
Very nice grenades MT-LB!

Your Koweshnikow fuze are rare production, but it's nothing unusual in this fuze.
I have seen this fuze fitted with F-1 body French type, but with Soviet also..

Here's some of mine... not so nice condition like yours, becouse all was find on battlefields from 1945 in Poland.
On second pics, some Russian manufacture stamps on fuzes - for now unfortunately unknown for me.
As you can see, there was two kind of UZRG fuzes; open on top, and closed (pics.3).

Unfortunately all of mine ww2 F-1 with Koweshnikow fuzes are in the our local museum for while...

Best regards.

wc.KC, Excellent, Thank you for showing these pics. Very good reference to have. Please post pics of you grenades and Kovesh fuzes when you get them back fro the museum.

Regards, Steve

It's a simple Steve...
1. On factories was work a childrens and womans - all healthy man's was in the army.
2. Leningrad was in a blockade and factories was made a weapons from limited materials. May be design drawings was not available.
3. All factories was evacuate on to Ural and in a far regions.
and many cause's...
It was very difficult war for Russia...

Yes, very difficult time for the Russians. I collect and have great interest in the GPW. I also look at the Russian sites for digging and recovery of soldiers they are doing. This is a very good thing to recover theses soldiers after such a long time. Here look.... http://www.po-73brigada.narod.ru/

OK, then this is a workshop type grenade. Very interesting example.
What about the thread differences for dets? Early & Later?

Your site is excellent Eugene, I have seen before, very nice.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• IMGP8397.jpg
    IMGP8397.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PB090009.jpg
    PB090009.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P6230009.jpg
    P6230009.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P6230017.jpg
    P6230017.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 16
  • PA270003.jpg
    PA270003.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Look at my photo:
The fifth grenade F-1 from Leningrad - have a very bad quality of manufacturing.
Note: Fuze with rivet from this grenade.

attachment.php

Last two grenades is a handicraft industry (they from Kursk and Novorossisk)

Interesting, thanks for showing me.
Steve

Last edited:
Hello all,
wanted to show you my 3 WW II Russian F1's - the one with a Koweshnikow fuze I haven't seen before.
Of course all 3 are completely inert!

Hi Erik, is the black? grenade in the middle, is this the original WW2 paint? What is the "Red Triangle" at the bottom of grenade? I have never seen this.

Has the grenade been re-painted maybe?

Regards, Steve

Hi Erik, is the black? grenade in the middle, is this the original WW2 paint? What is the "Red Triangle" at the bottom of grenade? I have never seen this.

Has the grenade been re-painted maybe?

Regards, Steve

Steve,
the F1 with the red triangle came from Czechoslovakia and the red triangle is their marking for inert training model. So I can't say anything about the paint - if they repainted them - who knows.
Erik

Steve,
the F1 with the red triangle came from Czechoslovakia and the red triangle is their marking for inert training model. So I can't say anything about the paint - if they repainted them - who knows.
Erik

Hi Erik, OK, thanks. I found this out also today looking around. Your collection of F1's is very nice. I like them.

Regards, Steve

The early fuzes by Koveshnikov..
(pictures from book..."Hand and rifle grenades" by Pribilov B.V., 2008)

Attachments

• fuze Koveshnikov early without lever.jpg
    fuze Koveshnikov early without lever.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 46
  • Fuze Koveshnikov.jpg
    Fuze Koveshnikov.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 46
and .... A.P. mine made from F-1 with fitted Koveshnikov fuze.
But i think that mine was an ineffective.

Attachments

• AP mine from F-1 with Koveshnikov fuze.jpg
    AP mine from F-1 with Koveshnikov fuze.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 50
Fitted a rifle grenade by Djakonov and early type of Koveshnikov fuze.
:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Attachments

• Djakonov with koveshnikov.jpg
    Djakonov with koveshnikov.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 31
The last diagram in my gallery:

normal_Mine_from_F1_nfs.jpg

Notice:

Quantity of gunpowder drawn approximately as the mine device precisely is not known - documents on it are absent.

Eugene.

The last diagram in my gallery:

Quantity of gunpowder drawn approximately as the mine device precisely is not known - documents on it are absent.

Eugene.

I missed seeing this Eugene....fantastic!....this is really a an interesting improvised bounding type "mine" Very rare I am sure, You are lucky to have this example. :nerd: :wink:

Thanks for showing this, Steve