What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S Mine question

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
I believe that this mine as marked is a practice version. Can anyone confirm that? If so, I have a follow on question.

Attachments

• IMG_0001rs.jpg
    IMG_0001rs.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0002rs.jpg
    IMG_0002rs.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 202
S Mine

EODTek,

I think you just have the real S mine 35
Tomorrow I can send you pictures of the twp practice versions.

Chris

Hmm, any idea what the white band painted on it means?

The "filler" on the inside consists of 3 formed pieces of what appear to be wax (which I will now be testing just to confirm that).

I wonder the "charge" blocks inside the mine - are they Nipolit? So far I have seen only granulate TNT powder as charge filling in these.

The white band looks like residue from masking tape or cloth tape. Nice to see such a "complete" mine !
Hangarman

The white band looks like residue from masking tape or cloth tape. Nice to see such a "complete" mine !
Hangarman

Thanks Hangarman.

It's hard to tell if it's paint or tape residue. It has a raised texture but it isn't tacky so I have no idea.

I wonder the "charge" blocks inside the mine - are they Nipolit? So far I have seen only granulate TNT powder as charge filling in these.

Based on what I have read and what my testing shows, the charge in the center does appear to be Nipolit. I guess it would help if I could get a chemical composition of Nipolit to check it by.

I'm also looking at a way to imprint and re-cast the central charge in an inert material.

The S-mine explosive content was either a wax filling or it could be filled with granuals depending on year etc. The section containing the explosive on some mines had spaces s similar to a normal charge. I would take a very very small piece from your what looks like a charge and check to see if its bitchimum but i don't think so, it looks as if your charge has dried out and shrunk into 3 chuncks as it looks if there would be a space on the outside, if the charge touched the centre flash tube. It would unlikely be Nipolit as this stuff i belive can be machined to shape but not sure, if it can be then it would have to be very tough (for machining) otherwise it would crumble to bits but you never know what they did during the war. Some S-mine fillings when dismantled, the charge came out as a block that could be removed as one piece. I belive that these late war mines had a white band around them, maybe its was an early batch where they just put a white stripe on to start and though it would be better to put it all around to be better visualy, As for casting the sections to copy i would use a silicone moulding material and use coloured plaster of paris. Nice to see the wax paper and a very nice condition mine.

Last edited:
S mine Practice

EODtek,

I promised you two phptps of the practice S mine 35.
Sudelmuk already put one on the forum.
This is an other version.

Regard,

Chris

Attachments

• Oefen S Mine 35.jpg
    Oefen S Mine 35.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 96
EODtek,

I promised you two phptps of the practice S mine 35.
Sudelmuk already put one on the forum.
This is an other version.

Regard,

Chris

morning Chris, quite an interesting thread this one, always something new turnes up.
never seen that version before; are you sure that it is not a post-war issue?

Last edited:
Here is what I am able to put together so far.

The charge in this mine was originally 1 piece designed to fit over the central tube and around the 3 outer tubes. Over time it appears that it has broken into 3 peices but 2 of the pieces fit neatly back together. The material chemically tests positive for nitrates which can put it in the catagory of TNT, Nipolit or any number of other explosives.

The S-mine explosive content was either a wax filling or it could be filled with granuals depending on year etc. The section containing the explosive on some mines had spaces s similar to a normal charge. I would take a very very small piece from your what looks like a charge and check to see if its bitchimum but i don't think so, it looks as if your charge has dried out and shrunk into 3 chuncks as it looks if there would be a space on the outside, if the charge touched the centre flash tube. It would unlikely be Nipolit as this stuff i belive can be machined to shape but not sure, if it can be then it would have to be very tough (for machining) otherwise it would crumble to bits but you never know what they did during the war. Some S-mine fillings when dismantled, the charge came out as a block that could be removed as one piece. I belive that these late war mines had a white band around them, maybe its was an early batch where they just put a white stripe on to start and though it would be better to put it all around to be better visualy, As for casting the sections to copy i would use a silicone moulding material and use coloured plaster of paris. Nice to see the wax paper and a very nice condition mine.

S mine 35

EODtek,

I have the picture from the TM 5-223C, German Mine Warfare Equipment.
The TM was published in 1952.

In the scope and purpose it says that this manual covers mine warfare equipment used by the German Army in World War II.

All the other items in the book are for sure used in World War II.

An other strange thing is that yours is not mentioned in the book, will try to find out more in a couple of days.

Regards,

Chris

I have this manual as well, some pictures are well drawn but some don't represent the original items to scale and look a a bit out to the real item ie the s-mine 44 shrapnel page 127. apart from that its a very good manual and covers items that were used during the war but discovered just after and some that were never used ie the bounding gas mine on page 145-146 etc. I have never seen this other type of smoke training S-mine to the normal type seen. May be its much closer to appearance to the exploding type that it needs to be pointed out to Engineers. Another S-Mine to collect:tinysmile_cry_t4:.

Here are 2 photos of the charge configuration. The rubber bands and glass vials were added by me to keep the 3 pieces together. You can see that at one time they were one complete item and from the looks of it, it was very smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_00016rs.jpg
    IMG_00016rs.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_00015rs.jpg
    IMG_00015rs.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 68
If you try and get hold of the WW2 training film 'Enemy mines in Tunisia' 1943, you will see displayed on a table or boxes a stripped down S-mine of the tinned sealed type that has none of the 3 shear screw in the base of the outer pot. You will see the explosive content as a cast lump similar to your cast explosive.

Excellent. Oh and mine is missing the 3 screws in the bottom of the outer container also.

But do you still have the 3 holes for the screws to go in as these other s-mines had no screws or screw holes at all. The mine was held in place by the soldered seal on top of the mine.