What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 "Wings"

Rockteer

I recently treated myself to an SD2 as I was on the look out for another little project. I already have the later SD2B. The problem is that it is missing the "paddle" wings. My question is, do these come up on their own, is there a good source or anyone on the forum that might spare parts for the SD2 especially the wings to complete this bomb.

Any pointers anybody can give me would be most appreciated.

The postie arrived today with my new SD2 project from Germany. As you can see from the pics a fair amount work is required. The main issue here is the missing "Butterfly" Paddle wings which I am hoping to source via the forum (fingers crossed). The other thing is the arming wire which is missing the top part, again I would like to find original if I can.

The springs will also need replacing and I wonder if the Satan may be able to help here as he seems to have solved most of these problems before.

It wasn't cheap but I liked the look of it so thought I would treat myself.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF7172.jpg
    DSCF7172.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF7173.jpg
    DSCF7173.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF7174.jpg
    DSCF7174.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF7175.jpg
    DSCF7175.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 34
The postie arrived today with my new SD2 project from Germany. As you can see from the pics a fair amount work is required. The main issue here is the missing "Butterfly" Paddle wings which I am hoping to source via the forum (fingers crossed). The other thing is the arming wire which is missing the top part, again I would like to find original if I can.

The springs will also need replacing and I wonder if the Satan may be able to help here as he seems to have solved most of these problems before.

Dan

Hi Dan

This was the one that was water found :tinysmile_shy_t:
I bailed out of the bidding earlier on but good win mate.

Best phil

ps i am currently re stocking with the smaller parts for SD2s as there has been a few requests for items which i have run out of.

Dan

Very nice Dan, I saw that and thought about it...........
Be warned, collecting butterfly's gets very addictive (ask Satan, Butterfly and Waff, we've all been bitten by the same bug!).
Dave.

Hi Phil,

I thought you would be able to help, no rush but when you do get any bits please give us a shout.

When you say water found, do you know where?

Dan

Hi Dan

This was the one that was water found :tinysmile_shy_t:
I bailed out of the bidding earlier on but good win mate.

Best phil

ps i am currently re stocking with the smaller parts for SD2s as there has been a few requests for items which i have run out of.

Hi Dave,

Addictive yes I can imagine, this is my second SD2 my first was an SD2b I will post some pics when I am at the museum next. Has original paint and nice luftwaffe acceptance stamps. Only thing is that the fuse pocket has been filled with car filler! I have another fuse which I think is correct that I plan to fit, but I am not sure exactly what holds these in place?

Dan

Very nice Dan, I saw that and thought about it...........
Be warned, collecting butterfly's gets very addictive (ask Satan, Butterfly and Waff, we've all been bitten by the same bug!).
Dave.

Hi Phil,

I thought you would be able to help, no rush but when you do get any bits please give us a shout.

When you say water found, do you know where?

Dan

Hi Dan
Unfortunately the seller didnt elaborate where abouts it was found but strange how the paddles became detached.

Best phil

Hi Phil,

That is a shame, would have been nice to have had a bit history about where and how it was found, how does the fuse extract? Are the paddle wings and arming wires out there or are they going to be difficult to source?

Dan

............ I have another fuse which I think is correct that I plan to fit, but I am not sure exactly what holds these in place?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Well done in getting yourself an SD2.

I take it the fuze unscrews ok?....the fact that there was no pics of the fuze removed when this one was for sale had me a little 'concerned' !!

As regards the fitting of the SD2B fuzes (bayonet fitting) these had little metal clips that were fitted to the lugs of the fuze. When inserted into the bomb body they were then locked into place by bending down the outer lug of the clip into a recess on the bomb body.

These clips when attatched to the fuze are an extremely tight fit and most will not turn into position in the bomb casing. I presume they were mean't to be so tight so as not to twist undone during use. However this makes them almost impossible in most cases to clip into the correct position, unless you either flatten the dimples on the clip itself, or have a very worn relic body that has been filed out. Personally I tend to remove the clips from the fuzes and have them fitted in loosley in the correct position. I like to be able to remove them easily without force. The other alternative is just to twist the fuze in slightly with the clips still in place, but this way the fuze is out of correct allignment.

There are a number of posts on the SD2's if you look under 'submunitions' showing the different types.

kind regards
Kev

Last edited:
I have not tried the fuse, think I am going to check with the seller first and hopefully he can confirm. It is tucked away out of harms reach until I can be absolutely sure. There are marks on the fuse where someone has forced it so I would hope it is ok. But I certainly want to go on collecting so if I have any doubt then I will take advise of a professional. As Satan says it is strange why the wings have been broken off.

Hi Dan,

Well done in getting yourself an SD2.

I take it the fuze unscrews ok?....the fact that there was no pics of the fuze removed when this one was for sale had me a little 'concerned' !!

As regards the fitting of the SD2B fuzes (bayonet fitting) these had little metal clips that were fitted to the lugs of the fuze. When inserted into the bomb body they were then locked into place by bending down the outer lug of the clip into a recess on the bomb body.

These clips when attatched to the fuze are an extremely tight fit and most will not turn into position in the bomb casing. I presume they were mean't to be so tight so as not to twist undone during use. However this makes them almost impossible in most cases to clip into the correct position, unless you either flatten the dimples on the clip itself, or have a very worn relic body that has been filed out. Personally I tend to remove the clips from the fuzes and have them fitted in loosley in the correct position. I like to be able to remove them easily without force. The other alternative is just to twist the fuze in slightly with the clips still in place, but this way the fuze is out of correct allignment.

There are a number of posts on the SD2's if you look under 'submunitions' showing the different types.

kind regards
Kev

I have not tried the fuse, think I am going to check with the seller first and hopefully he can confirm. It is tucked away out of harms reach until I can be absolutely sure. There are marks on the fuse where someone has forced it so I would hope it is ok. But I certainly want to go on collecting so if I have any doubt then I will take advise of a professional. As Satan says it is strange why the wings have been broken off.

A very wise move Dan.
Unless you can be certain, it just isn't worth the risk. Hopefully the seller will confirm the fuze unscrews.

regards Kev

Dave.[/QUOTE]

yeah,been a while since i snared one though Dave! :p

best

waff

A very wise move Dan.
Unless you can be certain, it just isn't worth the risk. Hopefully the seller will confirm the fuze unscrews.

regards Kev

What needs to be done if the seller does not want to commit himself is just simply weigh it,im sure someone can give you the exact weights of an empty SD2A body and a zeit 41 fuse,this way there will be no doubt about it.

i cannot elobarate on an open forum but its safer to go down this route and then take the right steps.

Best phil

What needs to be done if the seller does not want to commit himself is just simply weigh it,im sure someone can give you the exact weights of an empty SD2A body and a zeit 41 fuse,this way there will be no doubt about it.

i cannot elobarate on an open forum but its safer to go down this route and then take the right steps.

Best phil

Very good call there my old pal.Im impressed!:tinysmile_shy_t:
Im gonna have a gander through my Pawlas manual in the morning to see if i can find the filled weight.

best

waff

A quick squizz at the book says that the filling is 0.225kg?? (plus a gaine pot too i guess?)
Just do the math against an empty charge and the fuze then 'Presto!' i would have thought?

best

waff

A quick squizz at the book says that the filling is 0.225kg?? (plus a gaine pot too i guess?)
Just do the math against an empty charge and the fuze then 'Presto!' i would have thought?

best

waff

Of course it could be full of concrete Waff or is that only the 8 inch shells that Mick gets you to carry around LOL!
Dave.

I hope to have SD2 wing parts for trade in September. At least reasonable paddle wings should be available then, possibly arming wire bits as well. With the parachute wings I'm not that optimistic.
Kindly remind me then unless you manage to get them in the meantime.

How the body has been made inert if fuze does not turn out and I don't see any holes on body?

Last edited by a moderator: