What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show your 6 PR Rounds (WW1 & WW2)

Thanks Dave, i was going to sell it but seeing all these has made me think again and will look for a projectile for it i do have a fired one but some one has filed the driving band smooth again so has buggered it up.
Cheers
Andy

Attached is a photo of Frizzens 6 pounder.
Dave.

Attachments

• Frizzens 6 pounder.jpg
    Frizzens 6 pounder.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 156
I noticed that the 3rd round from left in Hazords first post shows a squeezbore round, aside from the fact the lower part of the projectile doesnt look like it'll "squeeze", did this round require a tapered barrel, or was an adapter, like the littlejohn adapters added to the barrel?....if so, I assume only the US 57mm as it had no muzzle break.?

Regarding the littlejohn rounds, does anyone have pictures of the 6PR littlejohn adapter attached to the gun?

Again, beautiful rounds guys, I think we all really appreciate you posting your collections.

cheers
Rich

Last edited:
Stamped BLANK

Hi Chris
Yes here is a photo of the headstamp

Well at least I will easily be able to identify one marked BLANK as it is a bit of a giveaway !
Are they common as I have never come across one before?

Last edited:
I noticed that the 3rd round from left in Hazords first post shows a squeezbore round, aside from the fact the lower part of the projectile doesnt look like it'll "squeeze", did this round require a tapered barrel, or was an adapter, like the littlejohn adapters added to the barrel?....if so, I assume only the US 57mm as it had no muzzle break.?

Regarding the littlejohn rounds, does anyone have pictures of the 6PR littlejohn adapter attached to the gun?

Again, beautiful rounds guys, I think we all really appreciate you posting your collections.

cheers
Rich

Rich it was fired with an adaptor. The documentation I've got on this mentions the T10 adapter, The projectile does squeeze including the rear section. They did loads of work on this in 1942, the problem being how much to squeeze the projectile, tests were done on 57/40, 57/44 and 57/50. One of the problems with the adapter was how quickly to squeeze the projectile - with some of the designs the rear skirt got ripped off because the rate of squeeze was too sudden.
Ref: National defence research committee report A-43 "Hyper velocity development guns and ammunition"
Dave.

More information on 57/40

Rich a bit more info on the 57/40.
Dave.

Attachments

• 57mm squeezebore 001.jpg
    57mm squeezebore 001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 57mm squeezebore 002.jpg
    57mm squeezebore 002.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 57mm squeezebore 003.jpg
    57mm squeezebore 003.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 125
Dave,

Were the Jones and Lamson experiments done by the U.S., the UK, or both?

I only have the common 7cwt and 8cwt stuff, apart from an experimental APFSDS projo (not intended for service but as a half-size trial piece for a 120mm round).

I'd really like to add a 6cwt and 10cwt to my collection sometime...

Dave,

Were the Jones and Lamson experiments done by the U.S., the UK, or both?

John the Jomes and Lamson experiments were US developments.
The UK developed the 6pr7cwt littlejohn.
I've attached a few photos of one that has been fired without using the squeeze adaptor. Unfortunately not in my collection, I'm still looking for one but its top of my list :tinysmile_cry_t2:
Look closely at the scale on the photo - its easy to mistake it for a 2 pounder one but is a LOT bigger.
Dave.

Attachments

• 29 March 09 pictures 004.JPG
    29 March 09 pictures 004.JPG
    2.4 KB · Views: 642
  • 29 March 09 pictures 005.JPG
    29 March 09 pictures 005.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 640
My 2 6Pr 7cwt APDS projectiles

The first is stamped 12/44 and the second 1/45.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.0.jpg
    IMG_0889.0.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0890.0.jpg
    IMG_0890.0.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 6 Pdr APDS (2).jpg
    6 Pdr APDS (2).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 6 Pdr APDS (4).jpg
    6 Pdr APDS (4).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 6 Pdr APDS (3).jpg
    6 Pdr APDS (3).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 85
12 March 2011 003.jpg12 March 2011 002.jpg12 March 2011 004.jpg

At last, I finally got one:smile: its a Jones and Lamson 57mm squeezebore projectile as mentioned earlier in the thread. Interesting to note the difference with Hazards one (different alloy tip but same profile).
Thanks to a great fellow collector and BOCN member who knows I like such things.

Dave.

Thanks Hazord.

Nice shell EOD, is that the right fuze, I'm no expert on the old stuff but have only seen that fuze on the 10,12 and 15 pounders. I've got a WW1 6 pounder HE minus the fuze so now I know what to look for.

Dave.

Hello Harry G . . .would you please provide the length of the Blank Mk1 case that is in your Photo#2
Thanks very much. Just to go in my data list. Cheers!

Thanks Hazord.

Nice shell EOD, is that the right fuze, I'm no expert on the old stuff but have only seen that fuze on the 10,12 and 15 pounders. I've got a WW1 6 pounder HE minus the fuze so now I know what to look for.

Dave.

Dave, I noticed your posting only now.
Yes it seems to be original since it has a separate brass fuze well to accomodate the conical thread of this fuze. To me it seems that this was an emergency measure to overcome a fuze shortage.
I have seen this also on a 2.75" mountain gun shrapnel dated 1914 with a No65A fuze on.

With regard to pzgr40's excellent post. Just to point out that the Ballistic Cap didn't increase the projectile speed per se but reduced the decredation of projectile velocity during its flight from muzzle to target by reducing drag.