What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show your 6 PR Rounds (WW1 & WW2)

I thought it was time to dig out my small collection of 6pr 7cwt rounds and take them out in the sun shine for a familly photograph, still a few to add to finish the set looking at some of the posts in this thread.
Anyone else got any to show ? a great thread so far.
Best regards Weasel.

6pr 7cwt Rounds 01.jpg

Heres the majority of what I have. Sorry mostly US 57mm,but a huge thanks to D.B. for the UK APDS.

.57mm6pdrbatch 003.jpg57mm6pdrbatch 008.jpg57mm6pdrbatch 005.jpg57mm6pdrbatch 007.jpg

Lou,

I think your AP-capped projectiles are breeding. You seem to have more than anyone I have seen before. Is that a Jap 57 on the far right?

What a great thread if I may say so myself
....here's an update to my original pic, and includes my paltry collection of US 57mm rounds (i.e both of them!!)

British and US 6PDR and 57mm Rounds-1024.jpg

Left to Right
6 PR Drill - 1942
6 PR Proof - 1942 (Case) 1942 (Projectile)
6 PR APDS - 1943 (Case) 1944 (Projectile)
6 PR APDS - 1942 (Case) 1944 (Projectile)
6 PR AP - 1942 (Case) 1942 (Projectile) - Does the driving band mean this is Canadian/US?
6 PR APC - 1943 (Case) 1943 (Projectile)
6 PR HE - 1943 (Case) 1943 (Projectile)
6 PR APCBC - 1943 (Case) 1943 (Projectile)
6 PR APCBC - 1943 (Case) 1943 (Projectile)
57mm APHE M86 1943 (Case) 1943 (Projectile)
57mm AP M70 1942 (Case) 1942 (Projectile)

Hope you like....and keep the pictures coming :)

Rich

Lou,

I think your AP-capped projectiles are breeding. You seem to have more than anyone I have seen before. Is that a Jap 57 on the far right?

Yes sir,a batch of the M86s popped up here in the midwest,with good original paint,green,and I was lucky enought to snag a few of them. Finally got a couple in orig black finally too. Its a great round to collect. Impressive enough in size but not too overbearing as to hog shelf space.
And yes sir that is a Japanese 57mm. It was a great lesson in,"not getting too excited when finding something on a table priced well below what is normal". Needless to say,I was pretty disappointed when I got it home. But was my bad for not inspecting it closer before getting my wallet out.
Anyone have extra 6pdrs to trade? APC for APC?

Last edited:
Great Thread ! So I thought I would post a few pics of my latest restoration project.

Rob......................rnixartillery collection.DSCF7002.jpgDSCF7003.jpgDSCF7005.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF7001.jpg
    DSCF7001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF7006.jpg
    DSCF7006.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 35
To echo what Richard has said, fantastic piece of restoration on the 6pdr. I seem to remember seeing some pics you posted of this when you first got it??

It looks superb now and congratulations on such a fine piece.

regards Kev

Thanks Lou and Rich for adding pics of your rounds always good to see the U.S stuff as well, Rich you have some very nice pieces there, i am sure there is another version of the HE out there maybe a higher capacity ? to look out for. I love the finish on the original APDS case, takes a long time to build up a patina like that.
Best Weasel.

Well, this is my small contribution. The last of the four in the first picture is unidentified as of yet. I included two other photos incase someone may be able to i d this projectile. No markings, no driving band, 57mm dia., and is 175mm long. Any ideas?olympus500 155.jpgolympus500 151.jpgolympus500 153.jpg

Howdy,

My thoughts is that it is an unfinished manufacturing stage for the 6pdr 7cwt AP projectile, I have seen similar for 17pdr that was used as ballast in ships!

Hope this may be if interest.

Regards Ozzi.

I only have the common 7cwt and 8cwt stuff, apart from an experimental APFSDS projo (not intended for service but as a half-size trial piece for a 120mm round).

Attached are a couple of photos of the experimental 57mm APFSDS projectiles that Tony refers to.

Dave.

IMG_1458.jpgIMG_1457.jpg

Here's a few 6pr6cwt rounds, a couple of stadard HE ones and the littlejohn version.

hi, ( sorry it's an older discution 2012) SG500, your two 6pdr 6 cwt standar he is for Anti-aircraft gun WW2 ( twin gun) ? There complet name are : shell he mk1 CT ?
thank

RICHARD B, can you give me the dimention of the wood of your 6 pdr drill?

Because in august 2011 whith friend , we have find 15 helmet, 2 lee endfield and many items in a hole ( all burn ) in the hole there is olso this model of 6 pdr DRILL ( burn too ) ( battel of normandie tilly/seuille )
)culot.JPG6 pdr fouille.jpg

hi, ( sorry it's an older discution 2012) SG500, your two 6pdr 6 cwt standar he is for Anti-aircraft gun WW2 ( twin gun) ? There complet name are : shell he mk1 CT ?
thank

Yes for the twin AA.

Dave.

i don't see verry well, there are two driving band ? if you are the time, can you give me a better photographie/ zoom than shell only ?

The lower band sits inside the case which has a 60mm mouth to the case instead of the usual 57mm size on the 6pr 7cwt and 6pr 10cwt..

Dave.

IMG_4566.jpgIMG_4565.jpgIMG_4567.jpg