What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small sphere inside...

V40

Question about 40 mike-mike here? Didn't the first HE rounds from the USA contain a small sphere imbeded in the rear of the projectile? In other words it was the main area of fragmentation? Does anybody have a cut-away of one?

I don't have a picture of a cut-away handy, but here is a page out of one of the more common pubs, and a photo of some of my spare "kill-balls". The front and left rear are from 40mm grenades, the two center are from submunitions (M39 and M43) the right rear is a beat up V40.

There were/are hundreds of designs of 40mm grenades, some people make their speciality from just collecting the different versions.

Attachments

• Untitled-9.jpg
    Untitled-9.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0124.jpg
    DSC_0124.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 118
Hi. Hope this is what you are looking for. Cheers

Attachments

• 1 m79he.jpg
    1 m79he.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 78
Thanks to the both you! I had always heard that that sphere was what the Dutch took out of to make V-40's. Don't know if it is true or not. Any ideas?

It may have been the basis for the size and design (V40 stands for 40mm, MN45 for 45mm, etc) but as you can see from the earlier photo, the ball design is different. The fuze well is larger on the 40mm rifle grenade, its a different fragmentation pattern, etc. I'll try and post some photos in example of the frag pattern tomorrow. JO

As promised yesterday, here is some of the V40 stuff. You can see from the second photograph some of the fragmentation patterns that they were playing with. I'm sure some of the other members may have more. As mentioned, the 40mm rifle grenade may have been an initial inspiration for size and shape, but NWM had a full program of development for the V40. It was much more than just a quick modification of an off-the-shelf piece.

The third photo shows the rifle grenade adapter, the one on the left is a factory display. Both the grenade and launcher were drilled and then treated with a red sealant to prevent corrosion.

The third photo is the CS version of the V40, with slight variations of the fuze/spoon, the last is a comparison of the V40 (R) with the new General Dynamics mini grenade. Does anyone have the official designation for this piece yet? Not shown is of course the MN45s and the V60.

Attachments

• DSCN1219 (2).jpg
    DSCN1219 (2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN1218 (2).jpg
    DSCN1218 (2).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1225 (2).jpg
    DSCN1225 (2).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN1226 (2).jpg
    DSCN1226 (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1227 (2).jpg
    DSCN1227 (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 68
the last is a comparison of the V40 (R) with the new General Dynamics mini grenade. Does anyone have the official designation for this piece yet? Not shown is of course the MN45s and the V60.

Was that the old M545 or is the newer supposed replacement for the M67 that keeps coming up and dying?

v40 grenade

Wow, I have to get one of those V40 grenades as in the pics I have seen I had no idea they were so small. How cool is that, as it is no bigger than a large "superball" from when I was a youngster.....Dano
Superball - a Wham-O product from 60's n such

Wow, I have to get one of those V40 grenades as in the pics I have seen I had no idea they were so small. How cool is that, as it is no bigger than a large "superball" from when I was a youngster.....Dano
Superball - a Wham-O product from 60's n such

Yeah. Me too i think.

I am being totaly honest when I say that very idea was thought about during TET 68'. Some high ranking Officer from SAC wanted to get over 1,000,000 Wham-O Superballs and dump them on Haiphong Harbor. The news source was Air Force magazine back then. So Dano1917, you were almost there

Was that the old M545 or is the newer supposed replacement for the M67 that keeps coming up and dying?

I don't know Mike, I've been out of the US loop for a while, I saw this for the first time when one of the guys at the St. Louis International Cartridge Show (SLICS) saved one for me. First time I'd seen it and no info attached. This guy had a bunch of new cutting edge stuff though, so I don't think its a past failed project piece - maybe current failed project? I'm pretty happy with it anyway.

How effective are the V40 Grenades? They look too small to hold a meaningful explosive charge when compared to other grenades which are all usually similar sizes.

I am being totaly honest when I say that very idea was thought about during TET 68'. Some high ranking Officer from SAC wanted to get over 1,000,000 Wham-O Superballs and dump them on Haiphong Harbor. The news source was Air Force magazine back then. So Dano1917, you were almost there

What was his proposed reason for doing this?

How effective is the V40? Obviously a larger, normal type grenade has more explosive and more fragmentation. But as noted earlier, with exception to the fuze well and perhaps fragmentation design, the body of the V40 is virtually identical to the fragmentation ball of the standard 40mm rifle grenade. The 40mm has been copied by virtually every country in NATO, and a number of countries outside of NATO, with millions produced and used in training and combat.

The greatest virtue of the V40 was seen as its size, which enabled the user to carry many more and throw them virtually like a golf ball. It was never, to my knowledge, issued to general troops, but used for Spec Ops - SEALs, SOG, etc. Another tool to put in the box and use when most effective.

As to the superball story, it sounds like a story told over beers, not something seriously considered. I'd really want to see a strong reference on that one before I would give it much credibility.

Me too!, I'd like to find the B-52 Navigator who told me this in flight school. I think he may have gotten too much of my attention.

Heres a small bit of technical info on the frag distribution of the V40 mini grenade.
Cheers, Paul.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• v40 info.jpg
    v40 info.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42
How effective is the V40? Obviously a larger, normal type grenade has more explosive and more fragmentation. But as noted earlier, with exception to the fuze well and perhaps fragmentation design, the body of the V40 is virtually identical to the fragmentation ball of the standard 40mm rifle grenade. The 40mm has been copied by virtually every country in NATO, and a number of countries outside of NATO, with millions produced and used in training and combat.

The greatest virtue of the V40 was seen as its size, which enabled the user to carry many more and throw them virtually like a golf ball. It was never, to my knowledge, issued to general troops, but used for Spec Ops - SEALs, SOG, etc. Another tool to put in the box and use when most effective.

As to the superball story, it sounds like a story told over beers, not something seriously considered. I'd really want to see a strong reference on that one before I would give it much credibility.
Thanks for that. How easy are inert ones to get? They are interesting as they are so small. Even though I usually collect British ammunition, I would buy one of these grenades at the right price.

They are not that easy to find, due in part that they were never in great use, limited production and the collector demand has always been pretty high due to their links to Viet Nam, SEALs and SOG activity. The last few I knew of were held here in the NL by the curator of MTM (Landhorst), if he doesn't have any he may know of someone.

But, when you do find one they can cost between $400 - $600. The last one I bought cost me $550 about 8-10 years ago.