What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke grenade thread

Was sitting here and my pain medication kicked in big time. I thought to myself, has there been a thread on just smoke grenades? I could not come up with an answer so here it is. Let's see all the smoke grenades of collectors in BOCN. Here is my complete collection of 2. First is a flat top U.S. M18 yellow smoke (Vietnam era) and second is a 1989 British L54A2 red smoke (anybody know the meaning of the CCC on the stamp). Smoke grenades strike me as kind of cool so come on guys let's see 'em.........Dano

Attachments

• Picture 907.jpg
    Picture 907.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 63
Appreciate that Fragman as I didn't realize that thread existed. I must say that England has to take the cake for smoke grenades with the best eye appeal. thanks again..Dano

Hi Dano,

I'm expecting an interesting one in the next couple of days that has not been shown before on BOCN. I'll add a pic when it turns up. There was a thread a while back that had some really nice smokies
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/smoke-grenades-t66644.html?t=66644
Cheers

Ah yes. I think it was me that started one many months back. Had some really nice ones that everyone had shown. But hey, nothing wrong with a fresh one, loads more members now and much more spending being going on.

Dano,

First, I want some of your meds! Have a few issues myself!
You have ask a question that I hope some of our British members have a definite answer for. The British are one of the countries that use the CCC as a marking on their smoke grenades. The marking is generally in the color of the smoke produced by the grenade. I am not sure that it actually stands for anything as far as an abbreviation or acronym. I know the British use CCC for Cap Conducting Composition and Combustible Charge Container, but neither of these fit a smoke usage.

Bob

My understanding has alaways been that the CCC has no other meaning than to identify the "C"olour of the smoke. It is always stencilled in the respective colour.

British No.83 grenade from my collection.

Attachments

• DSCF0110.JPG
    DSCF0110.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 66
The beginning of my collection were these 3 smokegrenades. British grenades used by the Dutch army (and many other countries i asume)

Storagecase of the Smoke Nr10 (without smokegrenade unfort.)

Attachments

• Rookgranaten.jpg
    Rookgranaten.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Koker smoke green nr 10.jpg
    Koker smoke green nr 10.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 43
Excellent John, Great smokes. I just love the British design of the can and abundant use of stenciling. Thanks for sharing....Dano

i have a question on smoke grenades : how do they work ?
stupies as this sounds just wanted to know dano good thred and its prduced some nice pics !

Some other non-US smoke grenades. The 4th photo shows a simulator vehicle launched smoke grenade alongside what just about has to be the longest smoke grenade made. The French Gr Fum F3 yellow smoke has a body that is 9 3/4 inches long. I don't have that many smoke variations. Smoke grenades can be functioned in several ways. They can be fuzed with a striker release fuze, a pull friction fuze or a friction striking fuze. Regardless of the ignition type smoke grenades have fuzes without detonators. Instead they are ignition types that spit a small flame into an ignition compound in the grenade. This compound burns, igniting the smoke mixture. The grenade body usually has one or more vent holes covered with pieces of tape. The tape is blown free by the pressure created by the burning smoke mixture allowing the smoke to exit the grenade. Some smoke mixtures, such as HC smoke, are toxic in high concentrations. White phosphorus grenades are usually intended to be incendiary grenades, but they have been used as smoke grenades because of the thick white smoke they produce.

Attachments

• Smoke grenades.jpg
    Smoke grenades.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Smoke grenades 2.jpg
    Smoke grenades 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Smoke grenades 3.jpg
    Smoke grenades 3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Smoke grenades 4.jpg
    Smoke grenades 4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 52
Some other non-US smoke grenades. The 4th photo shows a simulator vehicle launched smoke grenade alongside what just about has to be the longest smoke grenade made. The French Gr Fum F3 yellow smoke has a body that is 9 3/4 inches long. I don't have that many smoke variations. Smoke grenades can be functioned in several ways. They can be fuzed with a striker release fuze, a pull friction fuze or a friction striking fuze. Regardless of the ignition type smoke grenades have fuzes without detonators. Instead they are ignition types that spit a small flame into an ignition compound in the grenade. This compound burns, igniting the smoke mixture. The grenade body usually has one or more vent holes covered with pieces of tape. The tape is blown free by the pressure created by the burning smoke mixture allowing the smoke to exit the grenade. Some smoke mixtures, such as HC smoke, are toxic in high concentrations. White phosphorus grenades are usually intended to be incendiary grenades, but they have been used as smoke grenades because of the thick white smoke they produce.
Great showing of smokes Bob, Thanks to all for their kind contributions, I have a new found fondness for the smoke grenades. The German smoke on the right side of photo 2 I have seen on GB and was tempted but due to financial constrictions was forced to pass................Dano

Last edited:

I shot a couple of "home movies" a little while back of two M18s, yellow and green smoke. Lots of closeups, lots of smoke. Nothing fancy, just used the video function on the camera. If somebody can guide me thru the resizing or whatever it takes to post them, I have them saved in MY PICTURES. Tried to attach them, but they're apparently too large a file.

Rick

Nice smoke exat808. particularly like the 68 date. Sweet grenade....Dano

Thanks, Dano. What makes it even sweeter is by virtue of my job it is still live and kept in an appropriately licensed store. Keeping it like a fine wine!

stupies as this sounds just wanted to know dano good thred and its prduced some nice pics !

following on from EODGUY's reply. I just want to add that some smoke compositions are very temperature dependant for them to react correctly. Generally if the filling burns with too much heat the particulate compostion that gives the colour effect is diminished greatly or in some cases lost altogether. This becomes apparent when we incinerate smoke grenades for disposal. The intense heat rapidly burns the composition with no thick clouds of coloured smoke.

To the choppers

Thanks, Dano. What makes it even sweeter is by virtue of my job it is still live and kept in an appropriately licensed store. Keeping it like a fine wine!
My M18 Smoke is live also but don't want to set it off and damage can. I can envision Arnold Swartzenegger popping the can and yelling "to the choppers"!!!..Dano
P.S. England definately takes the cake for the "coolest looking" smoke grenades of all time....................D

Last edited:
British Commercial

A few photographs taken several years ago of British commercial smoke grenades from Astra Pyrotechnics, Haley & Weller, Pains-Wessex and Schermuly. Astra folded after taking over PRB in Belgium. Over the years the other companies have become part of Chemring.

Only the N150 became a Service store (as the L83) although the PW1675 contributed to the design of the L30 series of smokes.

Attachments

• AP-MkIIWhiteSmk.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 57
  • H&W-E101.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 37
  • H&W-E124.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PWD-(H&W)-N150.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Schermuly-PWS-1723ScrSmk.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 37
  • Schermuly-WhiteMk3.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 34
  • PW-PWS-1675ColSmk.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi Norman, The commercial smokes are awesome. similarly in the U.S. there are an abundance of commercial smokes as they are used by hikers, sportsmen and such, appreciate your showing.......Dano