What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke grenades

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all,
Thought I would start a thread on smoke grenades. The reason for this is that they are lying around in training areas out here in UK or very cheap (3-5 pounds) to buy. Just a thought, as US smoke grenades are very expensive and hard to come by over here, I wonder if it is the opposite on the other side of the blue stuff? Anyway, lets see all those collections of great grenades in their own right!

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 113
Here is an (Inert) Federal Laboratories Factory Display Board Circa 1960's, showing their Commercial Law Enforcement Grenades and 37MM Munitions ............

Attachments

• Federal Labs Display 004.jpg
    Federal Labs Display 004.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 157
Some (Inert) Defense Technologies Inc. Commercial Law Enforcement Variations Circa 1990's .....

Attachments

• Def Tech 001.jpg
    Def Tech 001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Federal Cut 027.jpg
    Federal Cut 027.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Gunbroker 058.jpg
    Gunbroker 058.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Gunbroker 042.jpg
    Gunbroker 042.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Omni Bang 013.jpg
    Omni Bang 013.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 44
Some (Inert) Smith & Wesson / Lake Erie Chemical Company Commercial Law Enforcement Variations Circa 1970's - 1980's .....

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 47
  • MK1 044.jpg
    MK1 044.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 41
  • MK1 049.jpg
    MK1 049.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42
  • MK1 053.jpg
    MK1 053.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39
  • MK1 057.jpg
    MK1 057.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 46
and some Canadian ones

Attachments

• c8grnsection.jpg
    c8grnsection.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 57
  • c8purp.jpg
    c8purp.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29
  • c8grn.jpg
    c8grn.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 36
  • c8red.jpg
    c8red.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
Too add to the CDN ones

To add to SgtLynn.. some more Canadian ones

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 54
Interesting thread of often overlooked items. Will have to assemble some and take pics.

Heres a few british ones.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Smoke grens 3.jpg
    Smoke grens 3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Smoke grens 5.jpg
    Smoke grens 5.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Smoke grens 4.jpg
    Smoke grens 4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Smoke grens 2.jpg
    Smoke grens 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Smoke grens 1.jpg
    Smoke grens 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 82
Here are the ones I have left. Looking for almost anykind of smoke device, especially, the GREEN M18 smoke emiter! I am hoping somebody in the USA has one or two for sale?

Attachments

• Smoke emiters 001.jpg
    Smoke emiters 001.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Smoke emiters 002.jpg
    Smoke emiters 002.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Smoke emiters 003.jpg
    Smoke emiters 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 60
Thanks, I really appreciate it. The original Vietnam M18's are getting harder to find. For a while there, they put out a modified M18 that doesn't have a bottom rim. This rim was for the chemical munitions launcher. They also had a high top around the fuse. Here in the states we have been calling them "Mushroom Head" grenades. Now it seems as though ALS is a big spender on the military spotlight because you see some of the soldiers using them.

The AN-M8 smoke grenade is getting harder to find, kinda like searching for chickens with lips. The AN-8 was used by the Army & Navy for which we get the "AN" designation of the grenade.

WARNING! to us Collectors hear in the states. If you own one of these grenades and want to let off a AN-M8 make sure that nobody is immediately down range of the smoke. The main igrediant in HC is hexachlorethane(SP?). This produces allot of Chlorine gas into the air. This will cause Chlorine induced Pneumonia which is a bad thing. This why all soilders must wear a mask when throwing an AN-M8.

Just some info!

V40

Thanks, I really appreciate it. The original Vietnam M18's are getting harder to find. For a while there, they put out a modified M18 that doesn't have a bottom rim. This rim was for the chemical munitions launcher. They also had a high top around the fuse. Here in the states we have been calling them "Mushroom Head" grenades. Now it seems as though ALS is a big spender on the military spotlight because you see some of the soldiers using them.

The AN-M8 smoke grenade is getting harder to find, kinda like searching for chickens with lips. The AN-8 was used by the Army & Navy for which we get the "AN" designation of the grenade.

WARNING! to us Collectors hear in the states. If you own one of these grenades and want to let off a AN-M8 mae sure that nobody is immediately down range of the smoke. The main igrediant in HC is hexachlorethane(SP?). This produces allot of Chlorine gas into the air. This will cause Chlorine induced Pneumonia which is a bad thing. This why all soilders must wear a mask when throwing an AN-M8.

Just some info!

V40

interesting thread

Are civies allowed to own military smokes in the US?

Civillians in the uk can buy pyrotecnic cardboard type smokes for Paintballing/airsoft/military simulation but
I dont think we can hold live military smokes legally though.

Anyone know about English law regarding these items ?
thanks

Well, it is in some states they are probably not legal in others it may not even talk about it. For example, here in Ohio and the city in which I live in turns a blind eye towards smoke emitters, especially during the 4th of July and New Years eve. My former Lieutenant who is in charge of the "Bomb Squad" once told me he didn't care if I had smoke emitters or flares or anything else he could think about. He just told me to bypass ALL grenades that appear to be loaded. And...as long as I don't blow up a neiborhood or bust any windows in nearby homes from the concussion. He then stated that then they would have to come looking for me and slap my hand really hard.

Here in Ohio, Some people who buy tables at a gunshow has at least one Smoke. You just gotta know where to look. Other major cities probably cannot afford the manpower to respond to a loud bang call during the 4th of July and New Years Eve. Smoke emitters they usually don't bother with

Last edited:
interesting thread

Are civies allowed to own military smokes in the US?

Civillians in the uk can buy pyrotecnic cardboard type smokes for Paintballing/airsoft/military simulation but
I dont think we can hold live military smokes legally though.

Anyone know about English law regarding these items ?
thanks

I've often thought of this too. I have never seen live military smoke grenades for sale over here so would guess that we probably can't hold them being civies, but that maybe be because of them being military property and any live ones would have had to be stolen in the first place. All guesses by me though mate, I really don't know.

I've often thought of this too. I have never seen live military smoke grenades for sale over here so would guess that we probably can't hold them being civies, but that maybe be because of them being military property and any live ones would have had to be stolen in the first place. All guesses by me though mate, I really don't know.

hmm yes interesting point point blank

I have bought thunderflashers and smoke pyro grenades for cas simulation,they hold the same rules as domestic fireworks,eg dont use them in public places and there is an age restriction.

it might be because some of the military smokes are cacinogenic,i'm not sure.
Or could it be down to the fuze system?

The smokes i have used in civie street are strike type devices pictured below.

Attachments

• stun_smoke.jpg
    stun_smoke.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 36
  • thunderflashes.jpg
    thunderflashes.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 39
By the way 18pounder, that is a magnificent collection of smokes!

Like I stated before, our AN-18M's are made out of hexachlorethane which was considered a carcigentic at one time too. The M-18's used the same chemical but to a smaller amount of Hexachlorethan than the AN-18M's. This substance is probably the reason you might not get because you army may have gone HC a while back.

Now there is a replacement for the AN-18M's called the M83, I don't know their composition of yet, but I might bet on it being a "Sweet smoke". Sweet smoke is composed of two major chemicals, well one is for sure. Can you guess what that other ingrediant is?
Once you smell that composition, which we had to, it kinda gave you a sweet tooth, at least it did for me and a few other guys. The problem with Sweet smoke is that it won't last as long, nor put out that much smoke. But it is breathable unless there is a high enough concentration whereby one could suffocate inside a bunker, basement, or room. It displaces some oxygen in these areas.

Any other questions? Other than the question I have already asked first? I'll be very happy if there are!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:
By the way 18pounder, that is a magnificent collection of smokes!

Like I stated before, our AN-18M's are made out of hexachlorethane which was considered a carcigentic at one time too. The M-18's used the same chemical but to a smaller amount of Hexachlorethan than the AN-18M's. This substance is probably the reason you might not get because you army may have gone HC a while back.

Now there is a replacement for the AN-18M's called the M83, I don't know their composition of yet, but I might bet on it being a "Sweet smoke". Sweet smoke is composed of two major chemicals, well one is for sure. Can you guess what that other ingrediant is?
Once you smell that composition, which we had to, it kinda gave you a sweet tooth, at least it did for me and a few other guys. The problem with Sweet smoke is that it won't last as long, nor put out that much smoke. But it is breathable unless there is a high enough concentration whereby one could suffocate inside a bunker, basement, or room. It displaces some oxygen in these areas.

Any other questions? Other than the question I have already asked first? I'll be very happy if there are!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
thanks for that mate!
i know what chemicals you mean,best not mention them here..
interesing post
thanks