What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke grenades

can you still buy smoke grenades in the u.k??? or have the arseholes made them illegal ass well??

if you can still get them , where??

can you still buy smoke grenades in the u.k??? or have the arseholes made them illegal ass well??

if you can still get them , where??

yes as in this thread previously,you can get smoke grens and thunderflash ,but they are not as powerfull as miliarty ones.

But they do the job,and you can get large screening smokes.

prices are from about 2.50 to 10.
look on Airsoft sites or paintball sites and you will find em.

go on landwarriorairsoft
they have these but are a bit expensive.But they have a fly off leaver the same as their themo baric grens too!!!!!

Attachments

• Tlsfx_Smoke_M14.gif
    Tlsfx_Smoke_M14.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
S&W Mk 1 CS Agent Caseless Smoke Grenade. Manufactured by The Former Smith & Wesson Chemical Company in Rock Creek, Ohio. Measures 1" in diameter by 4" Long and is basically a solid stick of CS Burning Agent with a pull friction igniter / fast start mixture inside. No exterior case, just a foil ID Label and packaging.

The grenade was designed to avoid the potential of "throw back" during a riot, due to the extreme heat produced and rapid burn time. Kind of a neat idea, however it never caught on mainly due to the grenades being susceptible to moisture and limited throwing distance due to limited weight. Few were manufactured or remain today.

Attachments

• cs caseless grenade 008.jpg
    cs caseless grenade 008.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
  • CS Caseless Grenade 007.jpg
    CS Caseless Grenade 007.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 36
Defense Technologies No. 98 "Mighty Midget" CS, CN and White Smoke Series Circa 1990's:

Attachments

• No. 98.jpg
    No. 98.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 33
  • No. 98 2.jpg
    No. 98 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 26
  • No. 98 1.jpg
    No. 98 1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 20
Proof firing of L8A1 smoke discharger grenades

Here are some photos from In Service Proof (ISP) firings of red phos filled L8A1 smoke discharger grenades from the mid 1980s. The silhouette that the Multi Barrel Smoke Dischargers (MBSD) are mounted on represents a Chieftain tank. The pink stripes on the ammo boxes indicate that the contents are for proof firings.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 62
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 56
Hello all,
Thought I would start a thread on smoke grenades. The reason for this is that they are lying around in training areas out here in UK or very cheap (3-5 pounds) to buy. Just a thought, as US smoke grenades are very expensive and hard to come by over here, I wonder if it is the opposite on the other side of the blue stuff? Anyway, lets see all those collections of great grenades in their own right!

No, Brit stuff is bloody hard to come by on this side of the pond. US smokes manufactured for the civilian market are easy to come by, but regulations on them vary from state to state and frequently counties and municipalities within states will have even more restrictive laws. The ex-US military stuff is starting to get hard to find, though.

US M158 signal illumination flare (red)
Soviet CXT-40 signal flares ) Not sure which is which
Soviet RDG2 smoke hand grenade )
US M18 yellow smoke grenade

Attachments

• Assorted pyros.jpg
    Assorted pyros.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 54
Here are a couple of less seen smokes, the M48 red smoke (practice version of the M47 CS) and the M3. My M3 is pretty beat up, but its a hard one to find. The tabs were meant to be bent outward so that the grenade wouldn't sink into deep snow.

Attachments

• XM48E3 RS 2.jpg
    XM48E3 RS 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 35
  • M3 Smoke.jpg
    M3 Smoke.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 44
Fantastic! That M48 looks great. That M3 is nice too, very similar to a Brit one (can't remember what the L number is, used for Arctic, with spring out legs like that one

Here is an Inert XM48E3 Red Smoke with XM227E3 Fuze.

Attachments

• XM48E3 002.jpg
    XM48E3 002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 16
  • XM48E3 003.jpg
    XM48E3 003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 15
XM167 Green Smoke with factory packaging (6 Units Total) and instruction sheet. Also an XM169 Yellow Smoke

Attachments

• XM167 004.jpg
    XM167 004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 24
  • XM167 001.jpg
    XM167 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
US MK 131 MOD 0 Red Smoke Signal with pouch.

Attachments

• Mk131 Mod 0.jpg
    Mk131 Mod 0.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi. Here's a photo of the British attachment for arctic use. It's not mine, but an old pic sent to me by a Brit collector. Cheers

Attachments

• 1 brit smoke.jpg
    1 brit smoke.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 36
Here are some more of my smokes, excluding non-US and commercial. The 3 WPs can be hard to find, as is the M6

Attachments

• M8 HC.jpg
    M8 HC.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 41
  • M18 Violet Smoke.jpg
    M18 Violet Smoke.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 50
  • M18 Violet.jpg
    M18 Violet.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
  • M18 Yellow.jpg
    M18 Yellow.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 41
  • M18 Green.jpg
    M18 Green.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 42
  • M18 Red.jpg
    M18 Red.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 40
  • MK 34.jpg
    MK 34.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 50
  • M15 WP.jpg
    M15 WP.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 48
  • MKII WP.jpg
    MKII WP.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 44
  • M6 smoke, SGF-2.jpg
    M6 smoke, SGF-2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 49
US-Subs,

That M6 Oil Body is great!

Also I have a container for a "Pot, Smoke, Oil, Training E21R2" however have never seen a body or reference. Does anyone know if the E21R2 was the "Pre" M6 or something different?

Stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• E21R2 002.jpg
    E21R2 002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
  • E21R2 007.jpg
    E21R2 007.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
You are correct in that the E- numbers were developmental for chemical (to include smoke). I don't know of a master cross-listing and unlike some of the conventional munitions the documents for CW/smoke rarely list the earlier E-number with it. If I can find time later I will look in a couple of docs and see if I can find a line drawing for the E21, that may be as close as we can get. Nice container!

US-Subs,

Thanks responding and for checking!

I am sure that I will never get a body so was happy to at least find the container.

Thanks again and stay safe,

Frank

Hi, here's a couple from the Vietnam era. Cheers

Attachments

• vietnam 1.jpg
    vietnam 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 82