What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The humble Pillbox

Ravenhook

Didn't know if anyone was interested in the more "nuts and bolts" end of the war,but pillboxes are seldom mentioned.
We have 2 in Marlborough town itself, one by a bridge and the other cunningly disguised within the structure of a house on the Swindon road.
I have recently discovered what is thought to be an unlisted "Tet Turret" in Savernake Forest..this was a one manned piece of concrete tube sunk into the ground with a small hatch on top and eye holes and gun loops around its circumference.
The more elaborate ones had rotating tops and pnumatic lifting machinerey.
See what you can find in your town, it makes shopping a bit more fun and these old, boring but iconic buidings need saving.

There is one in Turton,a couple of miles from me.Ive never really had a good look at it.Will take a photo next time im up there.

cheers

waff

Hi Ravenhook, Pillboxes are my second passion. If any members are interested in British anti invasion defences then try the following link:

www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk

An excellent site, full of info and pictures.They also have a message forum so if you have any questions post on the site and you should get a reply.

You may also want to try the defence of Britain database:

ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/324.cfm

The defence of Britain project has a large but not complete record of pillbox locations in the U.K.

Your first stop should be the pillboxes study group site. How many members know that we were still using 6 pdr 6cwt mkII as anti tank guns in pilloxes in 1940?

H_005110.jpg

Quatermass

This is one of my fav subjects too.The town where i live was designated as a stop point and the town used to have loads of defences 10 plus pillboxes, dragons teeth, anti tank ditch(still there).As usaul a lot has gone in recent years,but whats left is safe.could definitely do with a seperate section for this,which would compliment other sites.Always willing to show people around dorset sites,if down this way,cheers Tony.

Have a search for Kennet and Avon pillboxes-there is a good site but it requires a bit of a search.

Very interesting subject though-all the way along the Railway from Reading through to Bedwyn there are dozens of them scattered all along the route.:cheer:

Ravenhook wrote:
Didn't know if anyone was interested in the more "nuts and bolts" end of the war,but pillboxes are seldom mentioned.
We have 2 in Marlborough town itself, one by a bridge and the other cunningly disguised within the structure of a house on the Swindon road.
I have recently discovered what is thought to be an unlisted "Tet Turret" in Savernake Forest..this was a one manned piece of concrete tube sunk into the ground with a small hatch on top and eye holes and gun loops around its circumference.
The more elaborate ones had rotating tops and pnumatic lifting machinerey.
See what you can find in your town, it makes shopping a bit more fun and these old, boring but iconic buidings need saving.

There is a book out that may interest some of you.

It's titled, Defending Britain,Twentieth Century Military Structures In The Landscape.

Cheers,
Andy

If you download google earth which is free and really good (its a satellite view of the whole planet and you can zoom in to an individual house its that good ) it shows all the pillboxes in england even ones that are no longer there not just pillboxes that were on the coast either but inland ones.
DAZ

Here are some good books that members may want to have a look at:

Pillboxes, a study of U.K. defences 1940 by Henry Wills. For a long time this was the 'pillbox' Bible. long out of print but does turn up at fairs and on ebay.

Defending Britain. by Mike Osborne, essential reading.

Beaches, fields, streets and hill. By William Foot.

20th Century defences in Britain. An itrodutory guide. Ed B Lowry.

British anti-invasion defences 1940-1945. A pocket refence guide. By Austin J Ruddy.

The Pillbox study group also publish a A5 sized journal three times a year all for the small sum of a 7.50 sub.

BOCN_Pillbox.jpg

'Suffolk square' at Lowestoft.

Quatermass

I have a copy of Defending Britain which has never been read.

If anyone is interested in buying it??

Cheers,
Andy

DAZ REICH
Blimey, google earth's great..the Pill box at the south western area is flagged on the wrong side of the road...probably to confuse the german invasion plan :laugh:

don't forget the excellent work by Henry Wills in his book 'Pillboxes'. It lists all the different types and known survivors plus loads of lovely photos - my long term wish has been to buy a bit of land with one on. Definitely a good idea for a new section

Wills book is good but its showing its age now, there's been a lot of research done sine his book was published in 1985.

Try 'Defending Britain' by Mike Osborne.

Quatermass