What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The humble Pillbox

British Flack tower?

Last time I went to Beltring I saw this and had to take a few pictures.
The view is very limited as it is well hidden by bushes and shrub and fenced it to keep people out !

Looks like our equivalent to the German "Flak Tower" and can be found on Google earth at 51 16'50".81N 0 24'06".56E

Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• IMG_8526bocn.jpg
    IMG_8526bocn.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8527bocn.jpg
    IMG_8527bocn.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi Ravenhook, Pillboxes are my second passion. If any members are interested in British anti invasion defences then try the following link:

www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk

An excellent site, full of info and pictures.They also have a message forum so if you have any questions post on the site and you should get a reply.

You may also want to try the defence of Britain database:

ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/324.cfm

The defence of Britain project has a large but not complete record of pillbox locations in the U.K.

Your first stop should be the pillboxes study group site. How many members know that we were still using 6 pdr 6cwt mkII as anti tank guns in pilloxes in 1940?

Quatermass

I am quite interested in Pillboxes and stuff, but don't really know much about them. I'll check this site out later, should be good. My sister lives in Faringdon (Oxfordshire), and the place is littered with pillboxes and make shift air filelds and the like. I work in london and used to work on the Hounslow borough (which also covers Chiswick). There are a couple of really nice looking pillboxes by one of the railway bridges there, probably Barnes Bridge thinking about it. Apparently, a few yards down from one of these, is a spigot mortar emplacement. Next time I'm on the train that way, I'll remember to take a look out the window ready with my camera phone!

Last time I went to Beltring I saw this and had to take a few pictures.
The view is very limited as it is well hidden by bushes and shrub and fenced it to keep people out !

Looks like our equivalent to the German "Flak Tower" and can be found on Google earth at 51 16'50".81N 0 24'06".56E

Any thoughts ?

Its a Bofors tower. It is in fact two towers, the gun and predictor were separate to avoid vibrations to the sensitive mechanical computer.

Another Pillbox

When going down the A329 to Pangbourne in Berkshire I spotted this little gem tucked away at the side of the road, very overgrown and forgotton but still relatively undamaged.

Located at
51deg 28'27.91N 1deg 02'09.26W

Attachments

• Pill box T HBOCN.JPG
    Pill box T HBOCN.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 29
Nice find Chris,
I must take a few pictures of some local to me in the future. I can offer a little bit of info on this site
Taken from the book Pillboxes by Henry Wood A Study Of UK Defences 1940
It states that the pillbox you have photographed is part of the GHQ Stop Line i will attach an image of the map to show this, and the contract for building these was given to Mr W T LeSateur, the joinery manager at Messrs J M Jones LTD of Maidenhead who were responsible for the construction of pillboxes in the Pangbourne Whitchurch area.
The red dots indicate the location of a Pillbox or defence,

The ISBN number is 0-436-57360-1 not sure if it is still in print but a very good book if you can get hold of a copy.

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• pillbox 02.jpg
    pillbox 02.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Weasel

Blimey Weasel I knew there were a lot of these around forming a "stop line" but that many !

You can still observe many Pillboxes both small and large (for 2 pounder or similar weapon) all along the railway line from Aldermaston to Hungerford and the railway even goes over the top of one at Bulls lock near Newbury-
Google earth at - 51deg 23' 47"N 1deg 17' 04"W

A very fascinating subject!

Hi 303,
I am guessing you mean the forts at Shivering Sands although there are some others as well. Lots of info out there about these, Thanks Chris if you would like some more of these maps just let me know and i can email them to you.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• shivering-sands-water-view.jpg
    shivering-sands-water-view.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here is a Pillbox i drive past a few times a week, in the corner of a field on a junction on the A3122 to Dartmouth. No vandalism or damage at all and a nice wavy roof line on this one,

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• BOCNPillbox.jpg
    BOCNPillbox.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 27
PILLboxes,

Hi,somewhere in my shed I have the Lewis gun mounting from the(now demolished) disguised airfield pillbox at High Ercall,if,,,,,I can find it is it any use to anyone,?
Regards,Don,

Not a pillbox as such but a defensive loophole built into a old wall, in case of invasion. This used to look straight down towards the town centre in Kingsbridge.

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Loophole 1.jpg
    Loophole 1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Loophole 2.jpg
    Loophole 2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 28
Torcross Defences

A small pillbox overlooking the beach with another very well camouflaged one on the other side of the headland overlooking a small beach. Both of these beaches were used during the D-Day practice landings, and another view from a single emplacement overlooking the whole of the beach.

Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Torrcross Pillbox 1.jpg
    Torrcross Pillbox 1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Torrcross Pillbox 2.jpg
    Torrcross Pillbox 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Torrcross Pillbox 4.jpg
    Torrcross Pillbox 4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Torrcross Pillbox 3.jpg
    Torrcross Pillbox 3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 21
Good pictures !

Very nice pictures Weasel, I just hope your little'un appreciates these things like her Dad ?
Always best to train them young.

Thanks Chris,
Trying out a new camera, and seemed like a good excuse to get out and grab some fresh air and visit a pillbox or two. As you said you have to start the interest early, lets hope it continues.
Best regards Weasel.

pill box

DSCF0140.JPGDSCF0142.JPG strange pill box with wife for scale. normal pill boxes further along the shore.

This is a 'Armco' bullet proof pillbox (drawing number DFW3/25). The corrugated iron shuttering kits were manufactured in Letchworth by Engineering & Metal Ltd under the Armco trade name.
Dimensions: 8 ft (2.4m) diameter, 12in (30cm) wall thickness.