What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The humble Pillbox

Another good refference book is Pillboxes by Henry Wills. This has details of each type and maps and grid references to known examples.

Hello to everyone who has been on this site talking about the Pillboxes i just wanted to thank Quatermass for the picture of the inertia of the Type 28 Pillbox with a 6 pdr gun in position iv been trying to find one for a while and im glad to see one exists i also want to let you all know there are a lot of other Pillbox fans out there on YouTube Panoramio flickr etc plus all the other groups and individuals who are recording and in some cases looking after them and its good to find some more on here ... Paul

Last time I went to Beltring I saw this and had to take a few pictures.
The view is very limited as it is well hidden by bushes and shrub and fenced it to keep people out !

Looks like our equivalent to the German "Flak Tower" and can be found on Google earth at 51 16'50".81N 0 24'06".56E

Any thoughts ?

It was for training the fire brigade that was based at RAF West Malling which is now a housing estate. Dave

Well Dave it may have been used in later years by the station fire brigade but it was built as a bofors tower.

Quote from the internet:

The Tower at Malling was built because the airfield is on the brow of a hill and the sight line from the North to South meant that from the ground very little could be seen and a low flying aircraft on a strafing run would be gone before being spotted and the guns could be brought into action.

normal_Anti_aircraft_tower_.jpg