What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

top 10 'must-have' grenades for the collector??

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
something I was thinking about: what are the 10 most important (in terms of how they represent the development and also ubiquity) types for the (hand) grenade collector to have in their collection?

the scope of my own grenade collection is broad - any bargains I can find really - but I would like to have the 'key' historical types as the core.

obviously there is no definitive answer but I guess there would be some consensus from the members of this forum...

Starting at the very beginning #1 should be the Antioch model:

holy-hand-grenade-of-antioch_zps6e4742c3.jpg

something I was thinking about: what are the 10 most important (in terms of how they represent the development and also ubiquity) types for the (hand) grenade collector to have in their collection?
[...]

I would suggest:

1. A small spherical shell with a wooden time fuze such as the British Land Service or Sea Service grenades, or a French equivalent. They largely represent the grenade as it was before the ACW.

2. The British Mills or the French F1 or the US Mk II. Iconic designs.

3. A hairbrush grenade (French, British or German) representing improvised grenades.

4. A German WW1 stick grenade. Classic.

5. A British or German rifle grenade (No 3 or Model 1913 say).

6. One of the British Signal Grenades (No 31 or 32 or 38 etc). Just to show it is not all about delivering an explosive payload.

7. A No 19 percussion grenade to demonstrate that time fuzes were not always used; that the British had stick grenades; and that they designed grenade solutions that were obsolete before being put into general use.

8. A No 74 Sticky Type Grenade. Not because it is particularly sort after but as a piece of anti-tank hardware it is a conversation piece. Why on earth would you expect a 65 year old Home Guardian to throw a pound or so of gelatinised nitro-glycerine at a heavily armed and exceedingly grumpy Tiger tank?

9. A No 68 grenade (or M9) to demonstrate the employment of shaped charge on grenades.

10. A modern frag coil or matrix grenade (probably the US M26 if history is of interest).

My personal 'Desert Island Disc' choice would be:
1. No 1 Mk I
2. No 4
3. No 5
4. No 12
5. No 31 Mk I
6. No 54
7. No 74 Mk I early model
8. A T13 Beano
9. A SOE square block grenade
10. A GP Grenade

Excellent choices from Bonnex . I would also perhaps add a No27 , No37 or No77 to cover the numerous smoke grenades [or similar US variants] & the very best of luck ever finding a No12 , No31 or No54 !!!

Can the emphasis on British types here be justified as representative of grenade development as a whole - i.e. internationally?

Can the emphasis on British types here be justified as representative of grenade development as a whole - i.e. internationally?

I'm afraid I'd disagree. The sun does not rise and set with British designs. The French F1, the Russian RPG-6, the German sticks - Dutch V40, Japanese Ceramic, Czech URG-86, Danish M1923, any Arges, the Italian SCRM, Argentina's FMK-2, the Kugels, the US M15 - . I'll give you that the Mills is the most common grenade in the world and thereby very influential, but with all due respect to Norman, you need to broaden your horizons.

US-Subs - i did think that many grenades of the modern era use a 'mouse trap'- type fuze which is of American (or French?) origin, and many of today's plastic-bodied frags with internal bb matrix seem to have originated with central-European designs? ...and would the Soviet Bloc F1 be the most common grenade worldwide after the Mills? Surely these factors merit the inclusion of many non-British types in the list?

May the debate continue :)

Dave . Small problem there . I think there's only one known to exist to my certain knowledge but I'm prepared to be surprised ! Also , I respect US Subs point of view but beauty is in the eye of the beholder & for sheer engineering excellence & aesthetics , British WW1 grenades are in a class of their own . I am , of course , somewhat biased...........

US-Subs,

There is a world of difference between Norman's suggestions, of which at least seven could be non-British and his 'Desert Island Disc' selection. Furthermore, two of the purely British examples he suggests, are prime examples of how we got it so very wrong.

I don't think to truly represent the development of grenades you would need more than 10 grenades

TimG

Last edited:
I thought there should have been more Russian style F-1 than British Mills types judged be the sheer timeframe both were used (Soviet F-1 made since ~1930 and used by 2 major and many smaller countries in countless wars).

The top 10 list might be oriented on the 10 most common basing on the largest scale use rather than the 10 most wanted - as that is 2 different things.
Following this the top 10 list will be very un-sexy.

Hi, Im not sure if these are 10 must have grenades, but they were very important to the development of grenades. Maybe we need a 10 most desirable grenades thread. Cheers

Attachments

• top 10.jpg
    top 10.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 128
Fragman, I can't see the DM61 playing a role at all (this design was out much earlier and the 61 is quite late)+ some of the other historically did not matter nor do they represent a technological or design milestone.

As we can see in this thread there is a lot of personal views involved.

Hi. Yeah the 61 is just a place holder for all of the modern plastic grenades. Cheers