What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Unique Smi-35 Have you Seen one?

Or brb, you never know..... :tinysmile_hmm_t: Steve, next Monday I will ship the last parcel with what you know inside, I will give you shipment number.

brh!!! my knowledgeable friend....we will see soon.......... maybe.

What would you do Miguel? would you scratch, scratch, scratch to find out if it was your S-mine?

The parcel.....OK, good, thank you. Please send a pic of items before they are sent!!

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Here are two pictures i found of a very similar marked mine.
Don't forget the other type of S-mine that was sealed in the pot with a tin seal soldered in place, these were very common in use, you can tell this type with the absent of the three shear screw holes at the bottom of the pot, dated around 41 42.

Attachments

• ei14ajl5.jpg
    ei14ajl5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 29
  • ei14bwl3.jpg
    ei14bwl3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 26
brh!!! my knowledgeable friend....we will see soon.......... maybe.

Would would you do Miguel, would you scratch, scratch, scratch to find out if it was your S-mine?

The parcel.....OK, good, thank you. Please send a pic of items before they are sent!!

Regards, Steve

Yes, why not? It is just a small part of the paint. If the mine was 100% with paint would not do it, but in that condition I would do it without problems. Anyway Steve Im just joking with it, brb or brh doesnt matter, it is a nice mine and that is enough. I already have the items boxed, but dont worry, you will receive what you have in the list.

Don't forget the other type of S-mine that was sealed in the pot with a tin seal soldered in place, these were very common in use, you can tell this type with the absent of the three shear screw holes at the bottom of the pot, dated around 41 42.

Nice close up photos, thank you. "brb" marked, Steve.... :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Great photos, very interesting. Thanks for posting.

I just saw today searching the mine you mention with no shear screws and seal. I did not know about these type until now. Some very good info said so far in this thread.

Regards, Steve

Hi. Whilst not my main area of interest, I think the S.Mi 35 is a quintessential artifact from WW2; so sort to add one to my collection. I found a nice one that was dated 1941 (original paint, waffenamt and black stenciling present). Unfortunately it was poorly wrapped and the body punched a hole in the packaging and the lid was lost in the post @$%^& Whilst I look for a replacement I have married the body up with an ordnance tan one that is stamped avz4-35. Can anybody tell me who made this lid? Cheers

Attachments

• smi35.jpg
    smi35.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 29
That's a nice lid and quite rare as well.

avz stands for "Schmalzeder Erben, Zieh-, Stanzwerk und Metalldrckerei, Dresden".

Hi Miguel. This is a new area of collecting for me, so I know very little about S-mines. From what I have read the rebated holes and ordnance tan colour make it a late war lid (maybe 1944). However, the only numbers on the lid are 4-35, which will be too early to be the production date. Until I learn more about these things it is unusual (to me anyway). Cheers

Well said, Fragman.

These are all examples of "avz"-lids I've ever seen yet:

SMi35-avz45-2.jpg avz 4-smi35.jpg avz 42smi2-1.jpg avz 43.jpg avz 43-274.jpg

Obviously this company has set a minus before the batch-number (that's unusual).

Regarding the rebated openings, the two pieces on the left seems to be more likely 44-vintage (instead of 1940).

Hi Miguel. This is a new area of collecting for me, so I know very little about S-mines. From what I have read the rebated holes and ordnance tan colour make it a late war lid (maybe 1944). However, the only numbers on the lid are 4-35, which will be too early to be the production date. Until I learn more about these things it is unusual (to me anyway). Cheers

The 4 stands for 44, so it is a normal 1944 lid tan painted, if the maker is a rare maker thats different, but the lid itself is a normal one, I think.

Normal late war top plates with re-bated holes usually have the small cut out grove from the centre, not seen on this top plate.

Just been looking at one of my mines, it has axt 94 44 on the top plate, is this a rare one?

Just been looking at one of my mines, it has axt 94 44 on the top plate, is this a rare one?

Interesting, never seen or heard before.
Quite remarkable this marking, as according to the 'Heidler-bible' axt stands for Gustav Hausen, Sgewerk und Holzbearbeitungsfabriken (sawmill & woodworking factory), Knigsberg !!

We've learned meanwhile that much was possible under the pressure of wartime, but why (and how) a sawmill should have manufactured metal ware ?? :hmmmm2:

I will try and take a picture of it. It clearly marked and has the early top plate with late war plug set and chopped wire shrapnel.

Thank's Chris, much appreciated :top:

"It clearly marked and has the early top plate with late war plug set and chopped wire shrapnel" - quite a cracker this combination; an early plate, late marked by a sawmill, awesome.

Perhaps we should sum up our top plate-pictures in a separate new thread "German S.Mi.35 & 44 manufacturers"?