What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Unique Smi-35 Have you Seen one?

Some of my S-mines have light strike stampings and some really deep, you also got to remember that the top and bottom plate is cast steel which is then machined to shape, a real hard strike through stamping will crack the top plate, the top plates seem quite fragile for hard stamping, i have a feeling that some stampings are part of the casting, also the roughness of casting can throw off a stamping mark. I also did see a star marking next to the brb /42 * and the bottom of the 42 looks as if its missing as well.

You are right the tops are a casting. I do not see the * next to the 42 you mention. I must look closer. I will take better photos of all markings in different lighting and post them. It is an obsession now to know exactly what this mine is marked! :nerd:

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Can you confirm what is WaffenAmt-number in your S.Mi.35? It is in connection with maker's code and they may verify each other.

Hi Reino, unfortunately it is not possible to see the complete WaA number.
:tinysmile_cry_t3: Better, bigger pics coming shortly. Maybe they will help to solve this question of brb or brh.

Regards, Steve

You are right the tops are a casting, and now it looks like to me that the 2 dates were both cast in when it was made!! how can that be though if 2 years apart? I do not see the * next to the 42 you mention. I will take better real high res photos of all markings in different lighting and post them. I am obsessed now to know exactly what this mine is marked!! :nerd:

Regards, Steve

This star is the same type that can be usualy seen sometimes on other S-mines, i think Peter showed me a photo once, of a marked top plate that had two such stars.

If of interes to anyone here are close-ups of markings on my S.Mines.
-On S.Mi.35 made 1939 are very sharp markings but it's hard to tell if they are stamped or in cast. WaA is stencilled, further there is a faint ink stamp Geladen Pbs 10 39 Ia .
-On S.Mi.35 made 1944 markings are clearly stamped on machined surface.
-On S.Mi.44 made 1944 markings are clearly in cast.

Cast iron basically is brittle and may crack if markings are stamped on but there also are cast iron qualities that are rather elastic like mild steel.

Attachments

• SMi35-2.jpg
    SMi35-2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 49
  • SMi35-3.jpg
    SMi35-3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 52
  • SMi44.jpg
    SMi44.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 47
  • SMi35-1.jpg
    SMi35-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 45
If of interes to anyone here are close-ups of markings on my S.Mines.
-On S.Mi.35 made 1939 are very sharp markings but it's hard to tell if they are stamped or in cast. WaA is stencilled, further there is a faint ink stamp Geladen Pbs 10 39 Ia .

that's a very fine piece, Reino! before a while I came across this pic and still wondering who manufactured it - FWCo or WFCo?
WaA-stamps on S-mines are few. but how can we clear up the connection between both markings?
SMi35-FWCo 1938.jpg

now back to the roots of this thread, Steve's new darling.

all parts, except the coppered sleeves, are characteristic for a (very) early production.
- the screwed bottom for the propellant charge
- the balls (instead of chopped wire or other shrapnels)
- brass det-tubes (instead of cardboard ones)
- flat top plate without any depression for the washers/srews.

but no one is able to set a boundary between 'early' and 'late'!?
I've already seen a 44 brc with brass-tubes and balls, but not a 39er with cardboard tubes and chopped iron-wire - hope you understand what I mean.

the markings on the top plate; I see three groups there.

- 157 1940 68
thats undoubtedly Fritz Weber & Co. Laternenfabrik, Berlin - later named brc and a well known SMi-producer.

- brh / 42
not brb (Richard Rinker), I think.

- FWO
FWO doesn't mean fwo (Westebbe & Weispfennig), as the later (since 1940) three letters-code are always striked with small letters, not capitals.
so far this marking remains unsolved.

I saw some M24 with those Fco inside the big W, I believe they are from Frankfurt Arsenal, Im right or Im dreaming? One of my S35 is a brc44 too with the markings more in the Reinos first brc44 style. An original S35 in green paint is missing on my collection... You have to click on Frank 2 for see the pic.

Attachments

• stick granades 001.jpg
    stick granades 001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Frank 2.jpg
    Frank 2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks Peter, Reino, BMG, Miguel and everyone for more excellent information. It seems this thread is becoming a very good thread for S-mine collectors, new, or advanced, to learn some interesting facts on the S-mines. I know I have learned some things from this thread so far. :wink:

I have taken better pics of the early double date mine at start of thread, and to me it still looks like top plate is "brh" not "brb". Am I crazy?? or as Miguel said...Am I dreaming?? :tinysmile_cry_t:
But, I do see the "Star" stamped next to 42 now.

I'm adding more pics of all my S-mines to show markings and the external differences in the "Early" and "Late" mines I see. Maybe other members will also post more pics of there S-mines here in this thread. Maybe we should start a type of "Database" and Photo Gallery of different S-mines going here?? I also can post the pics of the internal differences sometime.

In these pics you can see the differences of the "Early and Late" top plate that Peter mentioned earlier, The early top plate does not have recesses for washers cut around the holes on top. Interesting also is the "dah44"mine has a small groove or channel next to the center hole on top plate. I have seen this before, but do not know what it is for. Might someone know what this small cut or channel is for next to the hole? Maybe just a small Mfg. difference? of the Junkers Co. (dah)

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

Attachments

• P8270007.jpg
    P8270007.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P8270019.jpg
    P8270019.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 26
  • dah44.jpg
    dah44.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 44brb.jpg
    44brb.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 29
  • brb44-shipPlug.jpg
    brb44-shipPlug.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 30
  • P8270008.jpg
    P8270008.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P8270005.jpg
    P8270005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 31
  • brh-42-#2.jpg
    brh-42-#2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P8270009.jpg
    P8270009.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 31
  • all3topShot.jpg
    all3topShot.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 34
More Smi35 Photos

More pics................Sorry if I have made anyone mad or upset by making a cutaway from a complete S-mine. I will tell you though, the mine had no, none, 0% original paint left on it, and the outside shell/can was Very pitted. I am going to change the internal paint color scheme a bit. This is first and probably only S-mine cut-away I will ever make, so want it to be a bit more correct looking.

Attachments

• P8270026.jpg
    P8270026.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P8270047.jpg
    P8270047.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P8270048.jpg
    P8270048.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 33
  • P8270043.jpg
    P8270043.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 37
  • #8sprengg.jpg
    #8sprengg.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 40
  • cutaway44dah.jpg
    cutaway44dah.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P8270039.jpg
    P8270039.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
  • bottomNuts.jpg
    bottomNuts.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 26
  • TopNuts.jpg
    TopNuts.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 26
  • early=late.jpg
    early=late.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A few more pics of some S-mine related items I have found for my collection............

Attachments

• ElectricZunder.jpg
    ElectricZunder.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 23
  • GreatGroup.jpg
    GreatGroup.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
  • EndGroup.jpg
    EndGroup.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P8270046.jpg
    P8270046.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P8270045.jpg
    P8270045.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P8270041.jpg
    P8270041.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P8270040.jpg
    P8270040.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P8270039.jpg
    P8270039.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I have sometimes in the past posted to this forum pictures of my complete S.Mi.35 accessory box and also pictures of variations of accessory boxes. Unfortunately I don't remember where they were sent.

I saw some M24 with those Fco inside the big W, I believe they are from Frankfurt Arsenal, Im right or Im dreaming? One of my S35 is a brc44 too with the markings more in the Reinos first brc44 style. An original S35 in green paint is missing on my collection... You have to click on Frank 2 for see the pic.

The Frank 2 grenade pic is interesting, I have never seen a M24 marked like this.

Regards, Steve

I have sometimes in the past posted to this forum pictures of my complete S.Mi.35 accessory box and also pictures of variations of accessory boxes. Unfortunately I don't remember where they were sent.

I just got my accessory box 3 weeks ago, and will look now for next 5 years to find all the correct contents for the box!! :tinysmile_cry_t: They will cost me more than the box did I'm sure!

Regards, Steve

Yep, most difficult item to find is original rubber gaskets set. In the past I got a bunch of them and so far I haven't seen on market other than those I sold.

Reino, what is the rubber gaskets set? Steve, if you want definitely know if it is "b" or "h" you have to scratch this part.

Attachments

• Scratch.jpg
    Scratch.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
Reino, what is the rubber gaskets set? Steve, if you want definitely know if it is "b" or "h" you have to scratch this part.

Hi Miguel.....HaHa! this is exactly what I was thinking tonight to do. I am not sure I want to scratch the paint off though. I do really think it is "brh", and not our friend, Richard Rinker, brb.

It is not the end of the world if I am not sure if brh 100%, it is just one of those little things that bug me sometimes, you know, when you cannot stop thinking about it!!

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Scratch, Scratch, Scratch......:evil:

HaHa!.....I might be able to get that piece of paint off in one piece with a exacto knife, and then glue it back on!!
Of course glue it back only after taking a photo to prove what this mine is actually marked...................which will be brh.

Regards, Steve

Or brb, you never know..... :tinysmile_hmm_t: Steve, next Monday I will ship the last parcel with what you know inside, I will give you shipment number.

Reino, what is the rubber gaskets set? .
Miguel, in the accessory box there is a for spare quantity of large and small rubber rings placed under the screws on top plate. Quantity varies during years.
On box label they are called "Dichungsringe Gr. and Kl. " The rings are bound together with a short strap of paper cord.