What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do we do it?

phlarris

A question that's been bouncing round my mind for a while...

Why do we collect? What is the fascination with all this stuff? Endless hours hunting round shows and the internet...

I have wandered round shows for hours on end, open-eyed at all that's on offer, and find great pleasure from my small collection... I stare in awe of some of collections I see on this site. I though I'd got it bad... :tinysmile_twink_t2:

So why do you collect???

Phil

It got me interested when I was given a belt of five spent 7.62 Blanks when I was about 7 years old.

I didn't really start unti I was about 13. I started to pick up a few empty cases of various kinds at the local car boot sales I used to walk round with my mates on Sunday mornings.

I suppose it went on from there really. It's still cartridges I'm interested in today.

Hi Phil,

i am lead to believe by what i have read from a phsycologists view is that this collecting lark springs from mans hunting past. The need to go out and get things initially to eat/survive ie to hunt and its all part of our makeup or how we evolved.

Its just a need that has to be fulfilled. Another way of me proving whether this theory is correct or not is to ask the forum moderators how many women members we have on this site. The answer ime sure will prove my point.

Andy

Hi Phil,

i am lead to believe by what i have read from a phsycologists view is that this collecting lark springs from mans hunting past. The need to go out and get things initially to eat/survive ie to hunt and its all part of our makeup or how we evolved.

Its just a need that has to be fulfilled. Another way of me proving whether this theory is correct or not is to ask the forum moderators how many women members we have on this site. The answer ime sure will prove my point.

Andy

Good post,

In answer to your 'lady member' question,i believe there are 2.
Although one or two other members i think are secretly women! :bigsmile:

best

waff

intresting question. Its something totaly different to what normall people collect i guess. But i just like big heavy projectiles everywhere and it keeps the neighbours away

reegards lee

Good points made.

For me,I started out slow,hit my stride about the mid 20s. Later as the income increased,so did the collecting. I love the thrill of the hunt,the trade,the sale,the assist. Finding things burried and forgotten in boxes at auctions is like treasure hunting.Getting there first,winning a bid.I do get quite a rush sometimes.
Learning about the items,the history involved,the evolutions to todays modern stuff. Meeting and talking with new people,making a few friends along the way. Those are just a few of the reasons I collect.
Why not coins or some other antique? Hmmm,

Thats some pausible answers for you......, yet somehow I think Freud would come up with an entirely different explanation.

As for me.......I just plain like the stuff.

greetz,

Menno.

People do collect other things, antique porcelain, paintings, furniture, stamps, marbles, old cars etc etc etc. Its all part of mans hunting instinct and the way its developed in todays world. I mean some women collect too, husbands, shoes, handbags to name but a few but i reccon the real female collector is a lot less in number than the male. We are al lot more single minded in what we do, we needed to be to put the dinner on the table as a hunter gatherer. If we got it wrong the family went hungry and women had to do a lot more, bring up the kids, make clothes, cook etc and multi task. Its all in the mindset to me. Most women think we are mad to do it and just dont understand but tolerate our odd little hobbies as it keeps us quiet.
Just my thoughts.

Andy

Good points made.

For me,I started out slow,hit my stride about the mid 20s. Later as the income increased,so did the collecting. I love the thrill of the hunt,the trade,the sale,the assist. Finding things burried and forgotten in boxes at auctions is like treasure hunting.Getting there first,winning a bid.I do get quite a rush sometimes.
Learning about the items,the history involved,the evolutions to todays modern stuff. Meeting and talking with new people,making a few friends along the way. Those are just a few of the reasons I collect.

Blimey Lou you hit the nail on the head there, exactly the same for me, the collecting ramped up when I was in my 20's then the income increased etc..............and I'm the same age as you!!!!!! Must have similar collections!
Dave.

Lou, great explanation. Though I started in my early thirties, before that it was Vietnam War Militaria of all kinds, then all of the sudden here comes a friend of mine who was already in the bomb squad handed me a MkIIA1 and said keep it. That is how it all started for me. Since I only collect grenades after 1950 - present the same does not go for the Rifle Grenades. Those that I would love to have are from 1940 - present day.

It is also I believe what gothica7 has stated too. The thrill of the hunt Making great deals here and around my area.

I also just look at them for their complicity of their build/manufacture, whether they use broken wire bits in a plastic matrix or if the use large or very small BB"s for their fragmentation. Before I received my first grenade, I read as much as I could on the subject of grenades.

For an example of the last paragrath, the URG86 uses broken or cut up wire as their fragmentation. Where as the Germans use small BB's.

A question that's been bouncing round my mind for a while...

Why do we collect? What is the fascination with all this stuff? Endless hours hunting round shows and the internet...

I have wandered round shows for hours on end, open-eyed at all that's on offer, and find great pleasure from my small collection... I stare in awe of some of collections I see on this site. I though I'd got it bad... :tinysmile_twink_t2:

So why do you collect???

Phil

Who cares man? If we didn't collect bits of brass and iron, we would all probably be rich. How horrid!:tongue:

we collect because its there to be collected,better brass thans stamps i suppose

we collect because its there to be collected,better brass thans stamps i suppose

Too right. At least we will all be ok if a fire was to break out, though my shelves would fall down, but they would leave a layer of good iron grenades! Lets hope I get out of hospital quick enough to rescue them before the Police decide to prove their inertness again

For me I think history is the juice. I have collected many different things. When I think of the brutality of the First World War it makes my blood curdle. I have nothing but respect and compassion for those who served. I think it took some large kahungas to face that squalor day to day. For some reason all of that draws me closer to the artifacts that I have amassed. I can hold a piece and close my eyes and only hope to imagine how a man could do it.....Dano

My ordnance collection started at age 12. My grandfather built B-29s at Boeing and he brought home a complete live .50cal. which I always admired. He gave it to me one day (much to my grandmothers horror) and I was hooked. Next came a WWI "one pounder" and then a 12lb cannon ball (which turned out to be a shotput). Getting burned early was a good learing experience.
As for the Phallic symbols explanation, Maby I am a bit to proud of the 1000lb bomb I recently hauled home and erected in the back yard........................................Pat

The virus started at the age of 12. I lived near a Bunker, and found a 8 cm mortar. Not knowing what is was, took the thing at home, dad found out it wasnt a good idea to keep it, and i delivered by bike, the mortar under the strings on the back, at the police office. It scared the living daylights out of the officer, and it all got in the newspaper. At the age of 25 when the money wasnt the big problem anymore, hell broke loose, and i'm adicted right now to brass and steel, and it is never enough

Good points made.

For me,I started out slow,hit my stride about the mid 20s. Later as the income increased,so did the collecting. I love the thrill of the hunt,the trade,the sale,the assist. Finding things burried and forgotten in boxes at
I think you hit it on the head for me.
Vinny :tinysmile_twink_t2: