What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do we do it?

Why We Do It?

I started cartridge collecting when i was about 8 and started off with shotgun cases and anything i was given until i could start going to the many old long gone junk and antiques shops which we used to have in our town, with my 1 weekly pocket money. One of my first buys was a 25 pounder WW2 case for 1 followed by a 40mm short naval WW2 Pom, Pom case which i stupidly swapped ages ago. I became fascinated with WW2 German aircraft ammunition and now concentrate mainly on cannon ammunition and buy them whenever i can. What drove me in first place was the love of anything military particularly things that went bang! All the different shapes sizes and case materials of ammunition makes it an absorbing hobby in itself, add a little history and there maybe your answer. Regards, Tim.

Two words

phallic symbols

Thats why we never let the woman folk near em
:)

I collect those too.
Here is a Modoc phallic symbol.
phallys002.jpg

Excellent thread!

Why do we collect indeed?

A question that I am sure all of us have asked ourselves from time to time, usually after spending well-earned cash on something we don't particularily need. Well I think its in the blood, I mean, you are either a collector or not. Some people can go through life without collecting anything and appear to live quite happily (I'm not sure how do they do it?- there are times when I wish I could be one of them too) Personally I have always collected, my theme may have changed from time to time but...........its in the blood.
I will say this though; collecting what I do has given me an enormous amount of respect for all the men and women who have fought and died in wars and to those that still do. I also have an enormous amount of respect for the men (and women) who have the job of clearing away all the left over ordnance from the battlefields both past and present.....and if collecting has given me the ability to pass on that respect and the futility of war to the next generation, then that can't be a bad thing. To forget the horrors of war would be.

and just a thought... 'wouldn't life be boring if we didn't collect? !!!'

regards
Kev

Why I collect

My facination started maybe 50 yrs ago when my father brought home an expended smoke rifle grenade from his two week annual training with the national guard. The virus as you all elude to struck right after I joined the military in 1969 and was exposed to it every day. I was a combat engineer for 16 yrs. active duty we were often tasked with the clearing and destruction of live ordnance with in our zone. Saw a lot of great stuff turned into scrap metal with a big bang. Any way I've been actively collecting for over 30yrs and have amassed a fine collection of ordnance everything from a 22cal. to 8" howitzer. I guess the history behind the particulare round and what role it played during it's service life is one thing. Also doing the reseach on it and finding reference materials is another aspect of it all. If i find a round then I have to find the fuze or casing for it. So the hunt is never ending. The fact that the round I have on my shelf never put another human being in harms way is good enough testimony for whay I collect. I support those men and women who put themselfs in harms way every day. lets just hope they don't become the next lost generation.
Ordman Out

The real problem here is not that we collect. The problem here is there is so much to collect and not enough money to collect it all.:tinysmile_classes_t Yes I know I'm OCD but I am having fun. I'd have to say for me it's a fasination with all things military, and things that go boom in particular, plus a sence of history. When I look at a rifle or a grenade I often wonder "where have you been?"

Last edited:
Basically we are all hunter/gatherers.
Why ordnance? Well because it's cool. Why else? Much cooler than stamps. Plus the fact that people wonder about our sanity gives it an edge.
I started off back in the 60's, though I didn't realize it then, when my Grandfather gave me some homemade deer slugs from during WWII. I still have them. Then it was picking up brass at the range and on and on...and here we are.
I really love the hunt for whatever strikes my fancy at the time, specialties taking priority of course.
Now a favorite part of my affliction is meeting up with you guys all the time.
Oh what a party we could have...
food-smiley-004.gif
food-smiley-019.gif
alc.gif
party-smiley-020.gif